Kernel Error.

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
spacejames

Kernel Error.

Post by spacejames »

Hi, I'm trying to install Linux Mint 9, it takes me to the boot screen, and with all options (except for the memory test) I get an error which says

".....Loading/casper/vmlinuz...........
.........................................Not enough memory to load specified Kernel...
boot:"

I'm currently running 7 on 2gig ram.
Please help!
thanks

I think the problem is with my bios, as I can install it on 2 other computers and a compaq laptop. All except mine. Sigh.
It's phoenixaward 6.00
deleted

Re: Kernel Error.

Post by deleted »

It sounds like either a bad iso or a bad burn of the iso. I'd start with a fresh download of the iso and a burn with the slowest setting possible and DAO (Disk At Once) if possible.
-Hinto
spacejames

Post by spacejames »

It's not a problem with the iso or burning, it must be some hardware issue with my computer, as the same disc - and 3 others that I have done at slower speeds work on other computers.
It doesn't boot with gentoo either - it fails the hardware check. But I have no idea what could be wrong with my computer.
vincent

Post by vincent »

Hmmm..."not enough memory"? Could you perhaps try running memtest and see how the results come out?
spacejames

Post by spacejames »

Okay, I will run it and take photos of any errors that come up, however I'm thinking it must be a problem with the bios somewhere.
spacejames

Post by spacejames »

The memory test froze twice during the 4th.
I created a fat partition on my harddrive with 2gb of space, however this did not help.
deleted

Post by deleted »

spacejames wrote:The memory test froze twice during the 4th.
I created a fat partition on my harddrive with 2gb of space, however this did not help.
Not sure why a FAT partition could help. But if the memtest froze, that would imply bad RAM.
-H
spacejames

Post by spacejames »

Okay, so how would I get around that? Try swapping it with the ram of computers the live discs work on?
Cheers.
deleted

Post by deleted »

First, I'd make sure all the cables and cards are secure. Then go for the ram. I had freezes due to a loose video card. That drove me nuts for about a month.
Also, all your ram my not be bad. (if any) so remove all but one chip, then add back until you get the freeze.
-Hinto
spacejames

Post by spacejames »

Okay, I'm in it now on a different computer, I will try removing my video and audio card, and then the RAM, I will get back to you with either the success or unsuccessful outcome.
Cheers.
[EDIT]
I've just disassembled my computer, and nothing worked, still got the same error.
I started by taking my audio card out, followed by my video card, followed by a slot of ram, then the other, and swapping them through the two slots, but nothing worked :(
I doubt my system is too old, I'm using an MSI motherboard from2003//
So perhaps it is the BIOS
OR
do I need to make a partition with a specific type of memory?
deleted

Post by deleted »

I've never seen any reference to creating a specific partition. Have you run across one? How many SIMMS of RAM do you have? If it's just one, then it might be bad (according to memtest) if 2 (or more) did you add them all back at once, or one at a time?
-Hinto
spacejames

Post by spacejames »

hinto wrote:I've never seen any reference to creating a specific partition. Have you run across one? How many SIMMS of RAM do you have? If it's just one, then it might be bad (according to memtest) if 2 (or more) did you add them all back at once, or one at a time?
-Hinto
I have two SIMMS of RAM, I added them back one by one, however, they are identical, I will try a different brand after this post.
I did the mem test which came with the CD, and it came across no errors, I let it run overnight. Here is a screenshot:

I also created 20+ gig of unallocated space on the hard disk, to no avail.

I tried different RAM sticks, no success.
deleted

Post by deleted »

[quote="spacejames"
I also created 20+ gig of unallocated space on the hard disk, to no avail.
[/quote]
Still don't know why you're doing this.
See if there's another hardware diagnostic you could try. Whenever I had problems like this folks in (this?) forum or another forum always talked about it being RAM or Motherboard.
-Hinto
spacejames

Post by spacejames »

I thought clearing up memory might help, by creating partitions with unallocated space.
If it is a motherboard issue, which I now suspect, how would you suggest I go about fixing it/would you be able to direct me to a forum which has possible fixes? I cannot boot from usb with this motherboard/bios either.
My motherboard is an MSI PM8M3 if that is any help.
Again I am very thankful for any help :)

I ran a diagnostic tool on my memory and got this:
Total physical memory: 2.00 gb
free physical memory: 699.8 mb
maximum page file : 4.00 gb
free page file: 1.42 bg
page file: -
initial size: -
maximum size: -
allocated memory: 67%

I've booted into it successfully just now with a virtual machine, which is annoying. What could the problem possibly be?
spacejames

Post by spacejames »

PROBLEM SOLVED
It was a problem with the BIOS as I suspected.
For anyone else experiencing the same problem.
You need to DISABLE memory hole in your BIOS.
OR
at the boot: line enter mem=xM
x being whatever amount of RAM you have.
Thanks for your help.
deleted

Post by deleted »

Man... what a mess... how did you find out about the BIOS?
-H
jimi_tomorrow

Post by jimi_tomorrow »

Dude! Thanks for this post! I have EXACTLY the same MoBo, and had exactly the same error, so now I have exactly the same solution!
I have been looking for just the right flavor of linux to satisfy my style, and I am pretty sure Mint is where it's at! I have been test driving every distro available since my intense dislike for OS's that crash and hang every time you use them reached a boiling point!(You KNOW who I mean!)
I know you're right; it makes perfect sense. Just wish I would have thought of it 4 days ago!!! You Rock!
Later...
GSXR750L

Post by GSXR750L »

Question

What is the memory hole at 15M-16M?
Answer

In the CMOS [BIOS] setup often under the Advanced Chipset Features there is an option for Memory Hole at 15M-16M, with the available options of Disabled and Enabled. This setting allows users to enable or disable the 1MB of memory required by some ISA expansion cards.

Enabling this feature will decrease your memory by 1MB and allow the few ISA cards that require this memory to properly work on your computer. However, with some motherboards enabling this feature could also disable all memory above 15MB and cause other significant issues. Because ISA cards are rarely used today and because many motherboards don't even have an ISA slot on them we recommend all users keep this option at the default setting of Disabled.