Can't login to Linux Mint 9 Fluxbox

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
soderstrom

Can't login to Linux Mint 9 Fluxbox

Post by soderstrom »

I've installed LM9 Fluxbox on a USB-stick trough the live cd's own USB startup disk creator. The system worked fine, managed to install some softwares and used it a bit today, but then decided to change username and set a new password instead of the one at the live cd. For some reason the old username "mint" was still there even tho it said my new username was set? I continued using the system from my USB-stick, rebooted a few times and so far it was working fine. Then I installed NVIDIA driver and restarted the system, got the following error message on boot "GLib-WARNING **: getpwuid_r(): failed due to unknown user id (0)" and now beeing asked to sign in with username and password? I enter my username "mint" (also tried the other one mentioned) and password I set and it seems like it is recognizing it, but then the screen flash and I get back to login screen?

Does it make any sence for you? For me it doesn't and would not like to reinstall everything again on the USB-stick.

Is there no other way to install LM9 on a USB-stick to not use it like a persistent live cd?

oobetimer
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Can't login to Linux Mint 9 Fluxbox

Post by oobetimer »

The X-server is falling down, so you could choose a rescue mode and fix the settings.

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 71#p288233

soderstrom

Re: Can't login to Linux Mint 9 Fluxbox

Post by soderstrom »

oobetimer wrote:The X-server is falling down, so you could choose a rescue mode and fix the settings.

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 71#p288233
Thanks. Realized that conky messed up the X-server. I installed LM9 on my USB like a normal installation and then chose to install grub2 on partition sdb1 on my USB. Now everything works smooth :)

Return to “Installation & Boot”