Problem Booting Toshiba Satellite L505 GS6000 SOLVED

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
deka316

Problem Booting Toshiba Satellite L505 GS6000 SOLVED

Post by deka316 »

Hi,
I have been using Mint for quite some time and recently I sold my desktop and bought a laptop, a Toshiba Satellite L505 GS6000. It came with windows 7 64-bit and today I tried to install Linux Mint 9 64-bit and failed. So after googling I decided to try to install LM 8 and was able to get through the whole install by typing pci=noacpi before I booted into the live enviroment. Like i said, the install went fine although I did notice my wireless didn't turn on during the installation. When I rebooted when everything finished grub was set up like I remembered from before but when I chose to boot linux mint it put out alot of output which mentioned ACPI instead of the LM splash and then it froze with no desktop. So I have no idea what to do now, I would much rather use mint than windows but for now I am stuck :( Any ideas would be welcomed, thanks again LM.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
oobetimer

Re: Problem Booting Toshiba Satellite L505 GS6000

Post by oobetimer »

My opinion: Mint 7 is still the best MInt, and it is not so sensitive with hardware. It simply works.. :wink:

http://www.linuxmint.com/release.php?id=11
deka316

Post by deka316 »

Thanks but no, I want to use the Linux Mint 8 installation I put on here last night, and I need to know what I need to add as an option when I boot to do it!
vincent

Post by vincent »

When you see your Grub menu, while your Mint 8 entry is highlighted, press "e" to edit your boot options, and add in "pci=noacpi" at the end of the line that starts with "linux". Then press CTRL + X to boot. If you don't want to do this manually at every reboot, just add it into /etc/default/grub, and be sure to run update-grub (as root, of course), once you're done.
deka316

Post by deka316 »

Vincent, thank you for your help! I did exactly like you said and it worked! I saw the hardware driver come up after I booted, and I saw the gfx driver I need listed but I still have no wireless and I am not sure what to do, I tried fn+f2 and nothing happened and I also tried adding connect to wireless networks in my users and groups. Do you or anybody else have an idea what to do next? Also down the road, is there an update path I can use to make my linux mint 8 to linux mint 9? That was the version I had wanted to use initially :)
deka316

Post by deka316 »

Ok, So I have made alot of progress since my last post, and me being a semi-noob that is alot! :D I was able to use acpi=off and pci=noacpi to sucessfully boot into LM 9 live cd and I deleted my linux mint 8 partition, The install of LM 9 went fine as I had hoped and once I finished and restarted I used the realtek driver RTL8191_8192_SE from their website and using ndiswrapper I was able to get my wireless working. I only have one last issue, I need to enter acpi=off and pci=noacpi every time I boot and I don't know what to enter into the terminal or into the /etc/default/grub file so I don't have to enter it every time I boot like I was told, so I could really use exact instructions on how to do this so I don't bork my system and end up getting grub errors on start up, could someone walk me through how to add these entries? thanks again, I love linux mint! :mrgreen:
dawgdoc

Post by dawgdoc »

If you are using the Gnome version enter in terminal

Code: Select all

sudo gedit /etc/default/grub
If you are using KDE then

sudo kate /etc/default/grub
then from the Ubuntu Grub 2 tutorial, Configuring Grub2 section
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"

* This line imports any entries to the end of the 'linux' line (GRUB legacy's "kernel" line). The entries are appended to the end of the normal mode only. This is similar to the "defoptions" line in menu.lst. For a black screen with boot processes displayed in text, remove "quiet splash". To see the grub splash image plus a condensed text output, use "splash". The entry "acpi=off", if required, would also be an option entered on this line.
You would also enter the pci=noacpi parameter here
deka316

Post by deka316 »

Hi Dawgdoc, I have tried entering in acpi=off and pci=noacpi using the code in terminal to edit my grub.cfg file, saving it and then running sudo update-grub after and it doesn't seem to stick, I have to enter it still every time I boot up machine. This is getting frustrating and I don't get what I am doing wrong, I put everything on the right line right after "quiet splash" am I not supposed to put spaces in here? or no "" around these new parameters? I am lost :oops:
dawgdoc

Post by dawgdoc »

deka316 wrote:....edit my grub.cfg file, saving it and then running sudo update-grub after and it doesn't seem to stick...
You are editing the wrong file
dawgdoc wrote:Gnome

sudo gedit /etc/default/grub
KDE

sudo kate /etc/default/grub
then from the Ubuntu Grub 2 tutorial, Configuring Grub2 section...
from the same section of the Grub2 tutorial
Configuration changes are normally made to /etc/default/grub and to the custom files located in /etc/grub.d. The /boot/grub/grub.cfg file should not be edited by the user; changes to this file are made by configuration scripts.
deka316

Post by deka316 »

Hi,
I followed your directions again, exactly and more carefully this time and the parameters in question were added as "quiet splash acpi=off pci=noacpi" i ran sudo update-grub afterwards and then rebooted and it worked! Big ups to the linux mint users for helping me start to finish with this whole process, now I can stick with my favorite distro!! :D

edit: I edited the fore mentioned parameter afterwards as acpi=ht as opposed to acpi=off and I was able to use both processor cores and WOW what a difference! :mrgreen:

Return to “Installation & Boot”