Before you post please read how to get help
Dichune
Level 1
Level 1

Major Error on Boot into Linux Mint 9

Post by Dichune » Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:43 am

~~Please Visit Link~~

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUcJug1uOfg

This is what I get every time I try and boot into Linux Mint 9, if your wondering what the long line of text is at the end it says (process: 275) Glib-warning **: get pwuid_r(): failed due to unknown user Id (0). But I can easily pass that by pressing enter repeatedly and once it actually get into the login screen my touchpad doesn't work... Why does it do this and I've tried several different releases of Linux Mint and have tried different distros all together for some examples Ubuntu Netbook Remix 10.04, Moblin 2.1, MeeGo 1.0, Julicloud 1.0 and I still get the same error on boot up with the same result of the touchpad not working once at the login screen. I don't know how to explain very well so I made a video to show what happens.

I'm also using a Asus EeePC 1005HA with 2GB of Ram and a upgraded 30GB SSD.

unexistance
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Major Error on Boot into Linux Mint 9

Post by unexistance » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:04 pm

Hi,

That's not an error, it's just warning. I got it also, seems to be no issue :D

As for the touchpad, does it work after you login?

Regards,
:: Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved ::

Dichune
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Dichune » Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:14 am

unexistance wrote:Hi,

That's not an error, it's just warning. I got it also, seems to be no issue :D

As for the touchpad, does it work after you login?

Regards,
No it does not, I try pressing the button which disables and enables the touchpad but that does nothing as well. Also would like to know what the ~^[[24 is that spams across my screen before the error pops up it seems to do that no mater what distro i install.

runbei
Level 3
Level 3

Post by runbei » Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:44 pm

The GLib warning is just that, but it does give a code that tells what process is causing a problem. In my case, it's 272:

Code: Select all

(process:272): GLib-WARNING **: getpwuid_r(): failed due to unknown user id (0) init: plymouth main process (272) terminated with status 1
Now then, if I press Enter at the warning, I get a series of "failed to spawn..." messages, and then the system truly hangs - nothing can be done to restart it or to start up Mint 9 normally.

So there's really no chance of finding out what process 272 is, since my system is frozen.

All sorts of problems have been reported here and in various Ubuntu bug forums under the GLib heading - when actually the problems aren't related to GLib (it seems). The (different) problems appear following the GLib message. The Ubuntu devs say the GLib message has nothing to do with those problems/bugs.

Okay, I can accept that. But, having installed Mint 9, tweaked it considerably, and spent an entire day configuring hardware on a "new" used PC, installing Windows XP Pro in Virtualbox, installing the software I require (Adobe Acrobat, Photoshop, Dreamweaver) - I am fed up. It appears to be yet another case of Ubuntu bugs trickling down to Mint - in this case, disastrously, with no solution.

I'm beginning to wonder if the best solution isn't to install a more stable version of Linux until Clem and crew deliver a Debian-based version of Mint. (I'd love it if it were based on debian Stable.) Say, for example, Scientific Linux (Redhat clone) or OpenSuse. I'm not fond of either of those distros, but I simply cannot waste any more time fiddling with Ubuntu's bugs. I wish there were a solution that would allow me to use Mint, as it's working fine on my laptop (ThinkPad T43).

Return to “Installation & Boot”