Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
andy06
Level 1
Level 1

Comp hangs with blinking cursor, needs compatibility mode

Post by andy06 »

I was trying to install on an older computer and it kept reaching the menu but failed to load the desktop. Then I selected "Start in compatibility mode" and it worked. Now I'm curious, what does this mode do and is it specific to Mint?

Thanks

Binx
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Comp hangs with blinking cursor, needs compatibility mod

Post by Binx »

andy06 wrote:I was trying to install on an older computer and it kept reaching the menu but failed to load the desktop. Then I selected "Start in compatibility mode" and it worked. Now I'm curious, what does this mode do and is it specific to Mint?

Thanks
This is happening to me too with the debian one, i had given up trying, i didn't think to try compatability mode, i'll give it another go :D
this dont help you i know, but youv'e helped me :mrgreen: I too would like to know the answer to your question.

oobetimer
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Comp hangs with blinking cursor, needs compatibility mod

Post by oobetimer »

andy06 wrote:I was trying to install on an older computer and it kept reaching the menu but failed to load the desktop. Then I selected "Start in compatibility mode" and it worked. Now I'm curious, what does this mode do and is it specific to Mint?

Thanks
Mint uses a VESA-graphick-driver in the in compatibility mode... I think .. Image

Return to “Installation & Boot”