Can only boot with analog monitor cable.

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Shay
Level 1
Level 1

Can only boot with analog monitor cable.

Post by Shay » Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:42 pm

Tried to boot the Linux Mint 9 DVD with my digital cable plugged in. Boot failed.

Digital cable has always displayed garbage during boot, so I could not diagnose the problem. So, I connected my monitor with an analog cable. Mint DVD booted and installed without a problem. I've done this twice now.

Cannot boot install or DVD with digital cable. Switching after boot results in my monitor's immediately going into "power saving mode."

Tried the nomodeset thing. Now DVD hangs with green garbage on the screen. Garbage without nomodeset was white text on black.

Any help appreciated.

Fafler
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Can only boot with analog monitor cable.

Post by Fafler » Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:34 am

Tell us a bit more about you hardware. What graphics card and monitor do you have? Have you tried another DVI cable? Another digital monitor?

PussyCat
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Can only boot with analog monitor cable.

Post by PussyCat » Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:14 pm

This is probably not particularly helpful since you already seem to have tried my strategy.

When I had a machine connected via DVI the problem was that a couple of distros would boot/install ok but the resolution was incorrect (and uncorrectable) because the monitor capabilities were not detected. The solution was to boot/install with the monitor connected via VGA. The resolution was then correct and could happily restore the DVI connection without complaint.

But from what you describe it seems to be more a graphics driver issue. Perhaps try specifying a (low) resolution or an alternative option other than the default from the livecd boot menu and go from there?

As Fafler said, knowing a little more about your architecture may solicit more specific guidance

[This all assumes that you MD5 checked the iso and had a good verified burn]

Return to “Installation & Boot”