Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
ShinyFeather
Level 1
Level 1

Mint 9 - Something went wrong with the installation

Post by ShinyFeather »

Hello, everyone. Thank you very much for your attention in advance.

I am here to ask for a little advice about a problem I've been having with Linux Mint 9 Isadora since two days ago, when I got a new laptop computer. I have read your rules before posting this, but I am new here, so please, if I forget to do something or I do something wrong, please tell me and I will try to correct it. I will try to explain what happens as well as I can.

I've been using Linux Mint for two years on an old laptop of mine, and all was working perfectly. It had the Gloria version installed most of this time, but recently I upgraded it to Isadora, and there was no problem with it. The case is, about two days ago I finally got a new laptop computer (HP Pavilion dv7-3110ss) preinstalled with Windows 7. Trying it with Windows, it was (and still is) working very nice. So then, I just wanted to install Linux Mint 9 on it, along with the other OS, and to have a multiple booting. What I did was the following:

1. I used the same Live CD that I used before to install Isadora on my old laptop. Same CD. Then I rebooted and started the normal process from the CD.
2. I tried everything I could think of from the CD and all of it was working correctly (that includes video, sound, wi-fi and network, keyboard, controls, etc). Only then I started with the installation.
­3. When on the partition screen, I had my first doubt. Usually I set that part manually, but there I found some strange partition configuration. It seems I have two hard disks (both 320GB) with a lot of partitions made by the Windows, three in the first one and another one on the last one. They were called OS, DATA, HP_TOOLS ans SYSTEM. I did not want to screw anything, so I finally decided to follow with the automated installation and to install Mint along with Windows. That made two more partitions on the second disk, one for the OS and the other for Swap.
4. I entered all my data and finished with the process. All seemed to be correct. Then I rebooted.

Problems started then. First of all, the Mint logo which shows when loading wasn't on the right spot and resolution seemed to be changing at some moments. Despite of that the system loaded, I was able to get into my account and to install some programs from Terminal. I also downloaded and installed all the upgrades. Later I realized that I was unable to resize or move any window (only to minimize and maximize or close them), and I had to log out and then in again for the problem to solve (I guess that problem was originated by upgrading, because it just happened again some minutes ago after doing so).

­Since that, a series of problems have been happening every time I use the OS from the hard disk, and they seem to start out of nothing. I had problems opening the contextual menu, moving windows, and connecting to the Internet sometimes. They seem to disappear when I do the log out trick, or sometimes make me reboot, but always reappear. I reinstalled the system at least four times from the CD and it solves nothing (or at least, if it works, it is only temporary). Last thing of all was I could not use network again (including Internet) after closing my computer lid and putting it into Sleep mode, which forced me to reinstall to get solved. It also doesn't wake up from sleep. I know is not a hardware problem because it is all working nice on Windows. I don't know if it could be the Live CD's fault, either, because it did a great job with my other computer and ironically it all works great on this one when booting from the CD.

So, do you have any clue of what could be wrong, or what could I be doing wrong? I really want to use Linux Mint in my new laptop, it has become my usual (and for a long time, my only) OS, but this has been bothering and worrying me since it started, specially because I want to solve it but I don't want to screw anything when trying. I will appreciate your support very much.

EDIT: I forgot to say that the partition where Linux Mint 9 is now installed (the same that gives trouble) has 157GB of free space. The other Linux partition, Swap, has more than 6GB of space, and I have 4GB of RAM.
Last edited by ShinyFeather on Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

oobetimer
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Mint 9 - Something went wrong with the installation

Post by oobetimer »

Those automatic installations are dangerous, because the installer makes far too small partitions for Mint. After some updades, Mint will freeze, because there is no space for working .. :roll:

Some terminal commands may help temporary..

df -h

sudo apt-get clean

ShinyFeather
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Mint 9 - Something went wrong with the installation

Post by ShinyFeather »

I thank you very much for your answer. Nevertheless I think it is not the problem here, for two reasons:

I had the problem you mention before (that was on my old computer when I first installed Gloria), and I could learn about it at that time, so I would probably recognize it.

And, I forgot to say (my fault, I'm very sorry) that the final partition where Linux Mint 9 is installed this time has 157GB of free space. Swap one has more than 6GB and I have 4GB of RAM. So I don't think this is the problem, right...?

Anyways, thank you, again =)

Return to “Installation & Boot”