Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
lucho115
Level 1
Level 1

cassandra xfce edition on an old laptop - a lot of problems

Postby lucho115 » Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:55 pm

OK, my laptop is a compaq presario 1692 - amd k6-2 500mhz, 192 mb of ram, and a 6.4gb hd. The distro install ok. And then starts the problems:

1- splash never appear, and spend 6 minutes to get gdm, but if i remove splash and acpi (my laptop only works ok with apm) from grub, its spend only 1:30 to get gdm up. So why splash doesnt work?

2- i cant shutdown correctly the laptop, if i press exit, never appear the window where i choose what to do, and if i open and xtem window and tipe: "sudo init 0", the laptop start shutdown but dont finish, it hang and a lot of big caracters with colors appear on screen, so i need to power off by pressing the power botton.

3- i cant get a tty console from X, if i type ALT - F1(or F2, F3, etc..) i get a black screen, so to back to x i press CTRL - ALT - F8 and back ok. SO the only mode to get console is with xterm. Why?

I have to say that i run debian etch in other partition and its run ok, so the laptop have no problems.
So, can anybody help me to solve this issues?
Maybe i need to recompile the kernel??

thakns, and sorry about my english
bye

Husse
Level 23
Level 23

Postby Husse » Thu Oct 11, 2007 6:18 am

You are very low on memory, so low that I think something has to be swapped all the time...
On the other hand xfce uses less memory but I still think you get the problems from only 196 MB
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it

lucho115
Level 1
Level 1

Postby lucho115 » Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:57 am

I dont think that the problem is the low mem, because like i said, i have runing in other partition debien etch with gnome , etch is like you said swaping all the time, so is slow but its works ok all the time, i can get console, i can use splash, i can shutdown corectly the laptop.
So i think that maybe e kernel problem, but in the past i had installed xubuntu feisty that have the same kernel and get similar issues more or less, splash doesnt work and i cant access console but shutdown works ok.
If you or others have another idea about, it will be great.
thks bye

Return to “Installation & Boot”