Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Elarys
Level 1
Level 1

Boot Splash + 64-bit

Post by Elarys »

I just have a quick confusing 'cosmetic' question.

I installed 32-bit Mint 10 on my Inspiron 1100, works great and as it's loading I see a very nice quality boot splash with the logo. Looks nice.

I then installed 64-bit Mint 10 onto my custom built Core2 Quad + 8800GT, works great too... however after GRUB the boot splash screen looks like it's ASCII, I am surprised the Boot Splash on an ancient (8yrs) laptop looks better.

The only differences are that on the 64-bit one, I 'agreed' to install the non-free proprietary video drivers (as recommended). Other than that... they are both up-to-date and default installs.

Not an issue as such, but just curious why on the 64-bit one I get a crappy ASCII boot screen.
mads
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Boot Splash + 64-bit

Post by mads »

Hi Elarys!

Have you tried Startup Manager?
If not, go to Mint Menu and find Startup Manager. You should be able to change the resolution there.
red123
Level 2
Level 2

Post by red123 »

I have this exact same issue right after I installed the ATI proprietary drivers. Changing the resolution did not do the trick. I guess this is a bug and we should learn to live with it for now?
mads
Level 6
Level 6

Post by mads »

red123 wrote:I have this exact same issue right after I installed the ATI proprietary drivers. Changing the resolution did not do the trick. I guess this is a bug and we should learn to live with it for now?
What about removing ATI proprietary drivers and installing latest "ATI Driver for Linux"?
Download link: http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/l ... linux.aspx

Instructions:
1. Launch the Terminal and navigate to the driver download.
2. Run the following command to launch the ATI Catalyst Proprietary driver installer.

Code: Select all

sudo sh ./ati-driver-installer-10-11-x86.x86_64.run
3. Select Install Driver and click Continue. The ATI License Agreement will be displayed. Click I Agree.
4. The Mode of Installation Dialog Box is displayed. Select Automatic and click Continue.
5. The Driver is now installed, and the Installation Complete Dialog box will be displayed. Click Exit to close the Installer.
6. Launch the Terminal and run

Code: Select all

sudo /usr/bin/aticonfig --initial -f
7. Close the Terminal and Reboot your system.
diranda
Level 1
Level 1

Post by diranda »

hello folks,
Did the above solution work for you? I have a similar problem with my current (buggy) Ubu 10.10 install and am planning to nuke it and run Mint on my Dell 1747. I have an ATI video card on this machine and it's been problematic getting a decent video response from the machine. Mint "just worked" on it when I tried it before, so I'm planning to just put it back, since my daughter's computer has Mint 9 on it.

Cheers,
Julie in AZ

Return to “Installation & Boot”