Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
brunnhilde
Level 1
Level 1

Problem installing LMDE

Post by brunnhilde »

Hi everybody.

I'm not completely new to ubuntu, but just recently discovered Mint and i love it! I already tried the regular Julia release on a virtual machine and had no problem, but then I heard of the Debian-based version and, since I've been wanting to try Debian for a while, I thought it would be a great opportunity to do it with Mint. I downoaded the ISO file, checked the md5 and it was okay, but I burned the image file the same way I did with the regular version and nothing happened. In the dvd I see two folders (casper and isolinux) and a txt file (md5sum) and that's it. I booted and the screen went blank and then prints:
"(initramfs) Unable to find a medium containing a live file system".
I guess is not reading the live cd but why? The md5 was correct. I also read the documentation regarding install and it says "After burning the CD you shouldn't see the ISO file within the disc, but rather folders like “casper” or “isolinux". If that is indeed the case where did I go wrong?

I've looked in google and haven't found anything, so hopefully someone here will have a clue. I really want to try this version instead of the regular one.

Thanks in advance for any help =)

Gramps50
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Problem installing LMDE

Post by Gramps50 »

If I remember right the LMDE image (iso file) is to large to fit on a cd I believe it is 840 mb give or take so it needs to go on a DVD. It also helps in getting good cd/dvd by burning at the slowest speed.
LMDE ROCKS!!!

brunnhilde
Level 1
Level 1

Post by brunnhilde »

I did burned it into a dvd and actually the space taken up on it is 875 MB so I think the burning went alright. So, is it wrong if the folders I mentioned show up in the dvd? what should I see?

willie42
Level 7
Level 7

Post by willie42 »

My DVD Version only has 2 folders and the MD5. It has 874.3 MB. Mine installed just fine. If you have it burned to DVD you can cross reference and see if your DVD has the same specs as Mine as in with the size. If not its the DVD and if it is the same size then I would be looking at Hardware. Burning a new DVD at slow speed would not hurt.
Comptia A+ Certified Technician
Comptia Network + Certified Technician
You can not have Success without Failures.

brunnhilde
Level 1
Level 1

Post by brunnhilde »

Done. I re-burned at the slowest speed and still won't work. I do see the two folders and the md5 file but is not working on the reboot. The total size of the dvd is 874.3 so that should be okay, right?

Another idea?

willie42
Level 7
Level 7

Post by willie42 »

:?: not real sure why its doing that....maybe someone can shed some light on this the only thing I can recommend is going into the BIOS and make sure your boot settings are correct. thats the only thing I can see that would be the reason for it not booting to a live DVD :(

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1332782

looks as if your DVD rom may not be reading correctly

brunnhilde
Level 1
Level 1

Post by brunnhilde »

Thanks for replying. I know my boot setting are okay because I've just tried other live cd's to make sure and they all work.

Any other idea as to how to fix this? I've never installed from a pendrive but I think I'll give it a try, I don't want to give up on this version.

brunnhilde
Level 1
Level 1

Post by brunnhilde »

Well, I just tried installing LMDE from a pendrive (using unetbootin) but no good. It appears to start running fine, I get the gru showing linux mint, I select it and it starts running but, when the splash screen should appear I get a black screen and have to reboot because it freezes.

Please, any suggestions? perhaps I could try to install a different distro/release and try to update from there?

willie42
Level 7
Level 7

Post by willie42 »

well I have read that if you have the old one with all the updates its like the new one. there was an issue with the newly released 32 bit and issues are being fixed and a new .iso will be forth coming January

http://blog.linuxmint.com/

hope this helps

Return to “Installation & Boot”