Separate /home: what dotfiles to remove for fresh install?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
donv
Level 1
Level 1

Separate /home: what dotfiles to remove for fresh install?

Post by donv » Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:55 pm

Hi,

I moved to LM9 a short while ago from Ubunutu 8.04 and have been experiencing full machine lock-ups frequently enough that I'd like to do a reinstall. Having used Ubuntu for years, I know this is unusual and am hoping that the reinstall will get me back to rock solid stability.

I've had a separate /home partition for years just to support ease of reinstallation/upgrade but read something recently that having old versions of software option files (dot files, eg: .compiz, .filezilla, .hwdb, etc.) in the home directory on installation could cause problems. Just in case this is true, what dot files do I need to remove (have clean) for an installation of LM9?

I'd rather not have to re-enter all my settings again (eg: timer-applet alarms, all the other customizations build up over years) so I'm wondering what the core dot files would be that would affect stability and need to be fresh for the install.

Appreciate any help or pointers.

Thanks!

PS: I would try to just fix my lockup problem, but I can't get any response at all from the machine when it happens - so it is impossible to debug. Display locks with what was showing at the time, no response to menus, window buttons, etc.

unexistance
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Separate /home: what dotfiles to remove for fresh instal

Post by unexistance » Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:39 pm

Hi,

You can have a look at .xsession-errors file under your home. It'll tell you what's wrong.

OR

You can create a new user, then migrate the application-specific dot files only (i.e firefox, thunderbird, etc ...)

Regards,
:: Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved ::

dolo724
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Separate /home: what dotfiles to remove for fresh instal

Post by dolo724 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:11 am

unexistance wrote: You can have a look at .xsession-errors file under your home. It'll tell you what's wrong.
OR
You can create a new user, then migrate the application-specific dot files only (i.e firefox, thunderbird, etc ...)
This topic is timely: Today I installed LMDE over an existing Elive install, with a separate /home. Initially I forgot to remove the .xsession file and wondered for a few minutes why I couldn't get into my new LMDE! Gdm would ask my password, I'd press enter, black screen appeared, gdm restarted and asked for my password. In this case, .xsession was attempting to start Enlightenment.

As soon as I removed .xsession, gdm delivered me into a fresh desktop. Yay! Hooray!

Return to “Installation & Boot”