How to make/get LMDE as live CD? [solved (in my case)]

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
NimaSepassi
Level 3
Level 3

Re: How to make/get LMDE as live CD (nand not as DVD)?

Post by NimaSepassi »

You don't have to be sorry.

I was just pointing out an inconsistency. Nothing personal.
Numquam ponenda est pluralitas sine necessitate [Plurality must never be posited without necessity], aka Occam's Razor.

beefstu
Level 5
Level 5

Post by beefstu »

OK, Eko_taas and anyone else who was trying to install with no DVD, I think I've cracked it, not sure if you're still interested but I'll put it here in case its of use for anyone else. I'll also write the whole thing up in the tutorials section.

You need a USB drive for this unfortunately (~1GB should be enough hopefully) but it will work even if you computer does not support booting from USB.

Ive edited my original post to reflect this, you have already done a couple of the steps, hopefully it'll work. Apologies for the long silence, have been in exams!
Please go through the steps here when posting a question. Once your question has been resolved, edit the original question post and add [Solved] to the subject. Both of these will help others use the forum effectively.

NimaSepassi
Level 3
Level 3

Re: How to make/get LMDE as live CD (and not as DVD)?

Post by NimaSepassi »

I think what Eko_taas is asking for the developers to come out with a live CD version.

I'm contemplating whether it's a good idea or not. One the one hand it makes installation easier, on the other hand do we really need to make it easier? Does LMDE need an influx of newbies who will demand a more Windows like OS? Wouldn't it be nice to have a version of Mint that only die hard traditional Unix fans can use?

What do does everyone else think?

Thanks.
Numquam ponenda est pluralitas sine necessitate [Plurality must never be posited without necessity], aka Occam's Razor.

Eko_taas
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Eko_taas »

NimaSepassi wrote:Then it's not solved. Look at the title, it says "How to make/get LMDE as live CD (nand not as DVD)?"
Yes, as title implies (including spelling mistakes :roll: ), I assumed there would be "market" for LMDE-CD (e.g. only 32-bit version as only targeted for old bios-systems). That would make newbees life (with older pc:s) so much easier/stright forward.

As rolling distro, and if done, when that should be reissued again (to avoid breakage on update)

Hanzerik
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Hanzerik »

Maybe not what you want to do, but I'm downloading the LMDE iso and am going to install it as a Virtual Machine using Virtualbx PUEL version. Never liked the OSE version of VBox in the repositories. I use Linux Mint 9 as my host system. I'm also going to test out LM 10 to see if I want to upgrade to it. LM9 is working fine for me, but I like to fiddle with other distros and versions of Linux.

For true Debian systems I ALWAYS do netinstalls...may take longer to get a desktop system up, but server installs using netinstall are fast and easy. I understand Mint adds stuff to make a base Debian system more user friendly, but I am disappointed that the ISO is a GIG in size.

Eko_taas
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Eko_taas »

Hanzerik wrote:Maybe not what you want to do...
You got it :roll:

monkeyboy
Level 5
Level 5

Post by monkeyboy »

NimaSepassi wrote:I think what Eko_taas is asking for the developers to come out with a live CD version.

I'm contemplating whether it's a good idea or not. One the one hand it makes installation easier, on the other hand do we really need to make it easier? Does LMDE need an influx of newbies who will demand a more Windows like OS? Wouldn't it be nice to have a version of Mint that only die hard traditional Unix fans can use?

What do does everyone else think?

Thanks.
Unless you decoupled such a traditional project from the parent (different name, forum, repositories, etc) then new users would want to try the "New Mint" and the pressure would be on to provide a "friendlier" user experience.
The basic problem is that many Linux distros are driven by a desire to gain user share. That means attracting Windows users who really want a Windows like experience as opposed to learning a new/different OS. IMHO
If you don't like it, make something better
If you can't make something better, adapt
If you can't do either ball your panties up and cry.

Complaining is like masticating most anyone can do it.
However doing it in public is really hardcore.

oobetimer
Level 7
Level 7

Post by oobetimer »

It is easy:

1. Uncompress the ISO-file

2. Unsquashfs the filesystem.squashfs

3. Chroot to the unsquasfsed filesystem and make some changes

4. Make a new filesystem.squasfs

5. Make a new ISO-file

You have made a new distro .. :lol:

Basically it is pretty easy, but it can be time consuming .. :wink:

Eko_taas
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Eko_taas »

One of the old computers got some trouble (looked like HD failure)., so I had to open it and take HD to other computer (for testing), As was one of the CD-install-only-machines, I used opportunity to try earlier mentioned "install LMDE on new machine" (as temp/only HD).

Was easier than I tought - moving HD takes <10min, and also full scale cleaning (e.g. CPU coolers covered with dirt vacuum cleaner could not suck, took more time) was done (and as result noise went down)...

Now also 2 x old machines under LMDE (one with 512Mb RAM and running well), org. broken one now also with HW Raid1. As I had to buy new HD, why to buy only one when 2 identicas were avail.?. Motherboard (Asys A8N-SLI Deluxe) have HW Raid and totally 8 Sata:s :mrgreen: , so still plave to add 8) . I could not even remember, that (my wifes) machine was bit on high end long time back).

For me (for a while) solved, but LMDE-in-CD would be more elegant...

Eko_taas
Level 2
Level 2

Re: How to make/get LMDE as live CD? [solved (in my case)]

Post by Eko_taas »

Seems that LMDE has some issue with Raid1 (dmraid can see but will not activate) :(

I put this problem under existing other topic (which has not been great success on replies yet :arrow: wink-wink as :shock: )
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 06#p377506

Return to “Installation & Boot”