Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
MintChocolateChip
Level 1
Level 1

SSD installation

Post by MintChocolateChip » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:22 pm

I was thinking about installing my linux mint on an ssd, but when I was reading about it. It suggested to turn off swap files if you are using an ssd. I was wondering how to do that on linux

willie42
Level 7
Level 7

Re: SSD installation

Post by willie42 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:44 pm

Swap partitions are usually for Suspend mode. The systems with less memory use Swap. I have 300mb allocated for mine and I dont think I have used it yet. I have not seen any thing on that please provide the site where you seen that about turning off swap when using an ssd......I would be interested in reading that.

thanks
Comptia A+ Certified Technician
Comptia Network + Certified Technician
You can not have Success without Failures.

sgosnell
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sgosnell » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:19 pm

I use a swap partition on my netbook. It may not be necessary, but if you want to hibernate you have to have swap. I have 1GB of RAM, and ~1GB swap, just a little more. It won't really hurt your SSD. If you load up your RAM and have no swap space, you can get a system hang, because it can't swap out RAM to disk to continue working. For me, it's worth it to dedicate a GB of disk space to swap, but if I had a much smaller SSD it might not be.
Asus eee-pc 900 w/ 32GB SSD.

MintChocolateChip
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MintChocolateChip » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:15 pm

I saw it on a couple sites, I think it says something about killing the life of the drive. Thank you for all your info. How can I turn of page fileing on Linux?

hemimaniac
Level 5
Level 5

Post by hemimaniac » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:19 pm

turn swap off, basically the equivalent
"Linux allows for one thing above all else - 'A user can truly be themselves!'"

sgosnell
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sgosnell » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:57 pm

Edit /etc/fstab and on the line for the SSD, add "noatime discard" after the filesystem type. This prevents writing the file access time to the SSD every time a file is accessed, which results in many small writes. Turning off swap only affects the swap partition, not the / partition.

wwoof
Level 1
Level 1

Post by wwoof » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:36 pm

How can you tell if swap has been utilized? I took a usb flash drive and formatted 2GB as swap. I don't know if outboard swap will work so I would like to see if it had been used.

I am using a SSD and that's why I decided to try an outboard approach although articles I have read recently have downplayed the fragility of SSD's.

sgosnell
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sgosnell » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:29 pm

You can't tell if it has been used, but you can check for use while the swap is active. Run 'free' in a terminal, and it will tell you how much swap space is in use.

Return to “Installation & Boot”