Moving from testing to Squeeze

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
fernbap

Moving from testing to Squeeze

Post by fernbap »

I would like to know if i now move LMDE repos from testing to squeeze, which will become Debian Stable shortly, there will be any future problems between Debian Stable and Mint software, as LMDE will remain on Testing.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
vrkalak

Re: Moving from testing to Squeeze

Post by vrkalak »

LMDE is totally compatible, and interchangeable with Debian.

Simply go into your sources.list and change all places where it says 'testing' to 'squeeze'
Then, sudo apt-get update.

To open your sources.list for editing: sudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list <enter>
Give password when prompted.

Squeeze is the most stable Debian release out.
After Squeeze is officially released as 'stable' a new 'testing' version will be released (code-named: Wheezy)

If you switch from 'testing' to 'squeeze' you will not have any problems what-so-ever from Mint.
Basically, LMDE is Debian with the Mint repositories added. That's all.

Debian GNU/Linux is well-known for being rock solid stable.
fernbap

Post by fernbap »

Sure, but my question is, once LMDE rolls after Squeeze moves to Stable, will compability problems arise between the Mint software and "outdated" debian repos (at that time, Squeeze instead of testing, which moved out of Squeeze).
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

fernbap wrote:Sure, but my question is, once LMDE rolls after Squeeze moves to Stable, will compability problems arise between the Mint software and "outdated" debian repos (at that time, Squeeze instead of testing, which moved out of Squeeze).
At the time Squeeze become 'stable' it will be the most up-to-date version out.
The longer any distro has been released, the more out of date it's Apps become.
The distro itself continues to get updates/upgrades for the entire period it is supported.

With Debian Squeeze, simply add the +backports repros to your sources.list and keep 'everything' up-to-date.
Stick with 'stable' plus backports ... No need to move to the 'rolling release' of testing or unstable.

Mint is totally compatible with Debian; whichever branch you are using. No future compatibility problems are expected.
Just as Mint, is totally compatible and interchangeable with Ununtu -- the MInt Devs have made the LMDE repros specifically for Debian.
fernbap

Post by fernbap »

Thank you, that's all i needed to know.
I still didn't change the repos because i wasn't sure it wouldn't create some issues in the future.
Mint over Debian Stable looks like a winner to me :)
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

fernbap wrote:Mint over Debian Stable looks like a winner to me :)
Agreed . . . Mint plus Debian 'stable' plus backports . . . FTW!! (For the Win)

Just keep up with the updates ... it's all good.
I have a version of Debian 5.0 (installed almost 2 years ago from a bought DVD) ... kept up with all updates and moved from Lenny to Squeeze > smooth as silk.

All 3 of my OS's on my PC are Debian-based and very stable > LMDE /Gnome -- Debian Squeeze /Xfce -- #!Crunchbang-10 /Openbox

I use my PC for my work ... stability and up-to-date is crucial.

Return to “Installation & Boot”