Possibility of One Small Iso Installs All?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
giggaflop
Level 1
Level 1

Possibility of One Small Iso Installs All?

Post by giggaflop » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:48 pm

Currently i am attempting to install linux mint Debian edition on my laptop, now due to a lot of abuse :oops: my dvd-rom drive won't boot dvd's anymore which wasn't a major issue as i had a CD based USB boot chainloader (boots a minimal system to chainload usb installs instead of bios) which i have subsequently lost and now cannot find. i'm kinda stuck looking at the dvd sized images for this and wondering how come you don't have an option to burn a small say 200mb iso to a CD-RW of which i have loads :P and save a few gig on downloading updates for shipped packages? basically i'm asking for a net install iso like you get from debian.
http://www.debian.org/CD/netinst/
What's better for me — the minimal bootable CD-ROM or the full CDs? It depends, but we think that in many cases the minimal CD image is better — above all, you only download the packages that you selected for installation on your machine, which saves both time and bandwidth. On the other hand, the full CDs are more suitable when installing on more than one machine, or on machines without a free Internet connection.
I also think that if this was done correctly it could work for all versions of mint, greatly reducing waste from users of the ubuntu based versions downloading the latest iso's when instead the minimal can be used instead :D

Pranaone
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Possibility of One Small Iso Installs All?

Post by Pranaone » Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:24 am

Interesting, but in the end it all comes down to what each individual prefers.

willie42
Level 7
Level 7

Post by willie42 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:54 pm

The only issue I see is that in order for everything to work out of the box it needs all the required libs and all that good stuff. I dont know if they could get it that small to work out of the box and still be able to deliver the best software :D
Comptia A+ Certified Technician
Comptia Network + Certified Technician
You can not have Success without Failures.

giggaflop
Level 1
Level 1

Post by giggaflop » Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:45 pm

well every install is practically the same right? checking for the most up to date packages and installing them to a new linux system, you just need to follow the dependancy tree just like a regular update right?>

willie42
Level 7
Level 7

Post by willie42 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:50 pm

There is more to it. I dont know alot of details on how one could be smaller. I think it would be better if one of the devs answered that. I know I pondered on it once up on a time. But never received any real solution to it.
Comptia A+ Certified Technician
Comptia Network + Certified Technician
You can not have Success without Failures.

bobcollard
Level 5
Level 5

Post by bobcollard » Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:59 pm

While there are some Distros with Core or spin bases that you can build on, so far the idea has not caught on at Linux Mint yet.
Robert Collard, Springfield, IL
Dell Inspiron 1545 Laptop, Intel Duo T3400 CPUs @2.16 Ghz. 4GB RAM
Linux Mint Debian Edition, Xfce 4.6.2 Desktop, 2.6.37-0.dmz.6-liquorix-amd64

giggaflop
Level 1
Level 1

Post by giggaflop » Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:01 pm

fair enough i just thought what those minimal install disks did was grab an upto date list of packages on the base system and then install those

Hanzerik
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Hanzerik » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:32 pm

That would be a cool feature; a Debian type netinstall mini cd that gives you the option/choices of doing net installs of the various current Linux Mint versions. Not paired down installs but full blown installs, just like the same that would be on one of the regular ISO/DVDs. Problems would be bandwidth and time. Doing a net install of a regular Debian full blown desktop takes a while, but works great.

Edit to Add: But as with the philosophy of distros like Ubuntu/Mint is simplicity. A text based net install may be too much for a new Linux user to understand/get right.

Return to “Installation & Boot”