Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
goosehead
Level 1
Level 1

Which edition on netbook?

Post by goosehead »

I have obtained an eeepc 1005hab 10" netbook. It has winxp on it. I have no interest in keeping winxp. Going to put a Linux on it and think Mint is probly the thing. Under powered I guess: intel atom 1.6, 1 GB ram. I have an external CD/DVD drive. I know how to burn an iso. Read the 50 page Mint install manual. I did a search in these forums and expect it'll be fine, but thought I would ask a few prelim questions. I think the questions are (and there may be more I should have asked, so set me straight if needed):
  1. Mint 10 is gnome, Mint 9 has other choices. Maybe should use 9 b/c can get a lighter desktop?
  • Did a search and it seems there are probably some netbook friendly ideas for power management and maybe other things. What packages are a Really Good Idea?
  • It comes with camera, I expect to use skype, can I expect same level of friendliness from 9 and 10 with sound and camera etc?
  • Would like to connect to Windows Server 2008 and browse the drive there. This will be a vpn. Might this be reasonable to want? Any advice?
I have a smaller old eeepc 7" running Xandros Linux (discontinued and old) so I have the basic idea of what to do I think, that had a KDE desktop which I liked. I liked single click mouse and auto select when on top of window or button, but doesn't matter too much. I'm okay with console re basic install and remove (apt-get).
Thanks!

libssd
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Which edition on netbook?

Post by libssd »

You will get lots of opinions. I started with Mint 9, and switched to Linux Mint Debian Edition, which is evolving rapidly, and seems to run well on minimal hardware. I'm running LMDE on an Acer AA1 D150 netbook, installed on an 8gb SDHC memory card, with acceptable performance. No significant problems right out of the box.

Adding more memory helps, mainly because you never (for all practical purposes) have to worry about invoking swap. HD Video performance is still iffy, but that's constrained by the low end netbook hardware, and no known OS is going to fix that.

Gramps50
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Gramps50 »

I have a Gateway 3020u or something like that, basic netbook with Atom processor & 1 GB ram 320 GB HD, I tried the netbook OSs on it and didn't like any of them so mine has Mint 9, PCLinuxOS2010, & LMDE. They all worked fine I just like LMDE better and think it is a little lighter than the other. I'm still running the orginal version of LMDE on it haven't gotten around to instaling the Jan 2011 version. The only real issue I had with mine was that it has a Broadcome wifi card which needs to be configured but this is true with most distros. Search the forums here for the How-To to get it working. There is a script there that will take most of the pain out of it.
LMDE ROCKS!!!

goosehead
Level 1
Level 1

Post by goosehead »

Thank you for the very nice replies!

I tried LXDE and it would not even boot :?
The kde version booted and it appears everything worked from live CD except camera which may involve a driver?? I wonder.
I presume that probly there was either a bad disk for LXDE or it and the computer don't like each other. Not everyone can be friends. I will have to maybe try another version too.

The Debian version is appealing because I have more idea how it works, but I wonder about using VMware inside it. Do all versions play nicely with that? :?:

When unplugged and turned off the computer reverts to Jan 2002, so I think this means the bios battery is gone whatever and however that is. I will have to learn how difficult it is to replace or I will have to send this thing back and get another. Damn! Was just starting to play with it tonight! It was an "open box" discounted model. Any pointers on that? Should I return or try to replace if it is cheap to do it? I wonder??...

Summary - 2 problems and 2 questions with little eee fellow:

Probs:
-his battery for remembering time and date when turned off is not working, and I must replace or send him back.
-his camera does not work.

Questions:
-need to know if VMware will work in all versions of Mint.
-need to know if browsing along to a windows 2008 server is going to work with vpn.

jesica
Level 9
Level 9

Post by jesica »

My netbook runs awesome on LMDE

Happy apt-get-ing!

Security is the separation of an asset from a threat.

goosehead
Level 1
Level 1

Post by goosehead »

I installed Mint 10 last night with default gnome GUI. It all worked: speakers, built in camera, wireless internet. So thanks for your posts. The other Mint 9 versions did not find the camera.

I see I can probably dump gnome and use a different GUI, maybe I will do that, lots of possible experiments. I would like to figure out how to get a single click in gnome versus double for mouse. I shrank the winxp partition because I did a little search and discovered that VMware-converter may be able to make this into a virtual machine inside the Mint. That's pretty cool. I will maybe try and post results.

Return to “Installation & Boot”