Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
yeolde777
Level 1
Level 1

dual boot win7, mint 10.Reinstalled win7 now no OS will boot

Post by yeolde777 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:48 pm

hi,

Im quite new to linux, but here is my problem. I have had win7 on this laptop, downloaded linux mint 10 julia and made a partition about 220 gb linux mint and 400 gb win7 roughly. This been wokring flawless for months, I have the linux boot up menu at start up, and linux mint usually start if I dont go down on the list and choose win7 loader.

Today I decided to go into win 7 and run my recovery cds since its been running slow lately. I chose to wipe all c drive, the 400 gb one with win7. No problems, installed it, it booted up couple times with linux boot menu, the partitions and linux swap was still there. Then I go into windows, it downloads information and drivers and i set the time and network, then when Im asked to restart, and when I do.. my pc just start restarting over and over again with few seconds in between. No boot menu, just f2 for setup.. I then put in a linux mint 10 cd, and now im booted on the cd, and I am not in my personal linux mint desktop environment.

I have added a screenshot of the partitions.. hope someone can help me, im stuck !

cheers guys

Bernie
Attachments
dual.png
dual.png (61.79 KiB) Viewed 1035 times

seeley
Level 7
Level 7

Re: dual boot win7, mint 10.Reinstalled win7 now no OS will

Post by seeley » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:56 pm

Hi!
Please first read my help.
seeley

Edit:
Run "findGrub" and post the output - I suppose you only see "no Grub"; in my help there is a suggestion what to do.
seeley @ Linux multiboot

yeolde777
Level 1
Level 1

Post by yeolde777 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:03 pm

that made me bit unsure what part of it you refer to :) bit technical for me, could you specify? i cannot press c in boot menu, cause i dont get a boot menu, so neither linux or windows want to boot

edit, thanks ill try that

yeolde777
Level 1
Level 1

Post by yeolde777 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:13 pm

no luck.. i still dont know what to do here :?

yeolde777
Level 1
Level 1

Post by yeolde777 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:24 pm

is it possible it has wiped my linux partition when i erased c drive with windows, cause it says linux is currently not installed, You can install it by typing:
sudo apt-get install user-mode-linux

seeley
Level 7
Level 7

Post by seeley » Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:52 pm

Hi!
If you don't have to save important data you should consider to make a fresh installation, but before that creating partitions with GParted:
root (10 - 15 GB), home and maybe swap (size: 1.5 * RAM).
seeley

PS:
Although I have serious hardware problems I try to help forum members.
But I do not have as much time as usually.
seeley @ Linux multiboot

feed3
Level 4
Level 4

Post by feed3 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:55 pm

You might need to reinstall grub. it is easily done from live cd. googling always offer the fastest help you can expect. see here: http://www.ubuntu-inside.me/2009/06/how ... ndows.html dont have much time, am in hurry rite now, sorry for such short reply tho.

seeley
Level 7
Level 7

Post by seeley » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:32 am

Hi!
Please copy the following (I name it "findGrub") in a Terminal and post the output:

Code: Select all

sudo fdisk -l 2>/dev/null | egrep "Disk /|/dev/" | sed "s#^/dev/#Part /dev/#" | awk '{print $2}' | sed 's/://' | xargs -n1 -IX sudo sh -c "hexdump -v -s 0x80 -n  2 -e '2/1 \"%x\" \"\\n\"' X | xargs -n1 -IY sh -c \"case  \"Y\" in '48b4') echo X: GRUB 2 v1.96 ;; 'aa75' | '5272') echo X: GRUB Legacy ;; '7c3c') echo X: GRUB 2 v1.97 or higher ;; *) echo X: No GRUB Y ;; esac\""
Exactly that you will find in my help!
seeley
seeley @ Linux multiboot

Murdock
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Murdock » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:28 am

Pura Vida.
Arenal Botanical Garden
Lake Arenal, Costa Rica

yeolde777
Level 1
Level 1

Post by yeolde777 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:33 pm

thanks for the reply guys, I appreciate it!. I had to wipe the whole disc and try reinstall with windows recovery, that didnt work, didnt find the boot.ini file apparently even tho i tried two times with the recovery cd's.. anyway, now i wiped all partions with partition wizard, then installed linux mint 10 on the whole disk, i attached a picture. Problem is now I cant resize the disc with gparted, because I wanna make a dual boot and install windows 7. Anyone know how I can easily make a partition and install the windows 7 on it? Even if I have to wipe out linux mint again, thats ok, cause I need to have a dual boot. Thanks for all the help so far!

Edit: forgot the pic first time, so here it is
Attachments
Screenshot.png
Screenshot.png (42.92 KiB) Viewed 989 times

seeley
Level 7
Level 7

Post by seeley » Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:45 pm

Hi!
To avoid problems, you should delete and create partitions with GParted live latest (V 0.7), first install Windows and afterwards Mint:
Windows 2 primary partitions, maybe a primary swap or data exchange partition and an extended partition as a container for several Linux partitions - as e.g. root and home (and maybe swap, if you have created a data partition.)
seeley
seeley @ Linux multiboot

DrHu
Level 17
Level 17

Post by DrHu » Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:54 pm

You have a choice of using physical partitions or extended (logical partitions) for an OS: Linux or windows

Windows OS is safest to install first in the first primary partition: there can be up to 4 primary partitions on a hard drive, a legacy of dos partition schemes
--the first partitions in dos/windows parlance is the C:\ drive

If you only intend to have a few OS installed, there is no great advantage to not using the primary partitions available, and it makes it easier to keep them physically separate: you are working/using one partition at a time
  • Less change of accidentally wiping out an OS in an extended (logical) partition area, since that extended partition is part of another physical/primary partition: the primary one (of the 4 available)
An overview of partitions..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disk_partitioning
--skip it period or skim for the definitions if you want (Primary, extended, logical)

Return to “Installation & Boot”