Install Mint 10 over Ubuntu on dual boot

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ghostgrrl

Install Mint 10 over Ubuntu on dual boot

Post by ghostgrrl »

I need to install Mint 10 over Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope on a dual boot Ubuntu / Windows netbook. I do **not** want to mess up Windows, as I need it for certain software that just will not run under WINE.

My son forgot his password for Ubuntu so it's just been sitting there taking up space while he played around in Windows. Now he's gotten a new computer (better for gaming) and I'm inheriting his old netbook so I can use it for those few rogue programs I need to run in Windows. I'd like to do the Mint thing as I love Mint and it might be useful to not have to always bebop back and forth to my Mint-dedicated computer. Otherwise, it's just wasted space.

I found info on how to upgrade Mint-to-Mint, but it appears to be on a dedicated Mint system. I just want to avoid ending up with (a) Ubuntu + Windows + Mint, or (b) screwing Windows up. I need, need, need Windows to remain intact.

Anywhere I can find the info to do this safely?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
StanTheMan

Re: Install Mint 10 over Ubuntu on dual boot

Post by StanTheMan »

If you use yur Mint installer , and set the same partition that Ubuntu used , as your new " / " mounted partition and format it , it will only erase the Ubuntu root , and will install Mint normally. However be very careful not to format any other partitions in the list, except swap. Your new bootloaer will be the Mint one , in place of the old Ubuntu one.

Return to “Installation & Boot”