Possible to update Isodora USB to Julia?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rdanner3

Possible to update Isodora USB to Julia?

Post by rdanner3 »

I'd prefer (since my system currently still doesn't recognize my wireless card in Mint) to be able to update the image on the USB stick I'm using, then update the OS on my HDD with that. Is there an easy way to do this?

Is it a simple matter of copying the files from the ISO over to the USB stick, then doing some sort of in-place repair-install, or is it going to require more?
--
Raymond
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Possible to update Isodora USB to Julia?

Post by remoulder »

Mint is not designed to be updated like this, see http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/2 for detailed instructions.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
rdanner3

Re: Possible to update Isodora USB to Julia?

Post by rdanner3 »

remoulder wrote:Mint is not designed to be updated like this, see http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/2 for detailed instructions.
Let me reiterate here: This is not my live install, but the equivalent of a burned liveCD. Since it is on a USB stick, however, it is quite fast, and allows much quicker response in live-CD modes. It should also be possible to do a straight copy of the files from the new ISO.

My question was, therefore, whether copying the new files from the ISO over to the USB stick would do the trick, or whether I'd have to burn a CD-RW of the Julia to rebuild the USB stick's image.

Not a full newbie here, but admittedly, the unexpected trouble I have had with my wireless adapter under Isodora (which, given my house's recent changes that invalidated all but one of my wired-network connections, and that one being the one the new router is hooked to, is quite frustrating) is possibly forcing me to do something I didn't really want to, which is rebuild Isodora from scratch.

Problem is, due to the fact the wireless card's driver (I have a Realtek RTL8191SE) is supposed to be baked into the kernel, this course mightn't work either. The one brief time the wireless worked, it went ad-hoc mode (weird) with an even weirder 10.x.x.x IP, when the rest of my network is firmly in the 192.168.x.x range. Then it failed to work, and that's where I am still. Otherwise, I truly like the OS; it seems to use far less power than Win7. Since I'm a writer, and I use OpenOffice.org (or more recently, LibreOffice) as my office suite, longevity of battery is a huge plus.

Return to “Installation & Boot”