Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
travlemon
Level 2
Level 2

Grub menu does not automatically launch an OS

Post by travlemon » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:00 pm

Hello,

I've had Mint 10 on my laptop for about 2 weeks now. Everything's been great so far! Only have really one issue that came up just hours before I decided to post this.

When I installed Mint 10, I used the entire drive, and have no other operating systems installed. When installed, it didn't give me a grub screen when it booted up. It simply just booted directly into the OS automatically. As of just a few hours ago, it now shows a grub menu to choose an OS (which I don't mind), but there's no timeout.

It doesn't countdown 10 seconds before automatically launching a default choice. It just sits there infinitely, until I choose an OS manually. From the Mint 10 OS, I tried going to System>Administration>Startup Manager, and changing the timeout to 9 seconds, hoping it would rewrite the config and clear the issue.

No go! The only thing I can think of that caused this is that there were some system updates today.

Anyone have any ideas on how I can get it to start automatically booting again? Any help is much appreciated!
For my video tutorials, check out:
http://www.youtube.com/webhunterification

travlemon
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Grub menu does not automatically launch an OS

Post by travlemon » Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:21 pm

Ok this fix was a lot simpler than I thought. For anyone else out there with this problem, or similar GRUB issues, here was the solution:

I simply rename the file /boot/grub/grub.cfg to /boot/grub/grub.OLD. I then ran

Code: Select all

sudo update-grub
to generate a new grub.cfg file. *POOF!!!* It magically works now. The old grub.cfg file must have somehow gotten a bad line written to it.
For my video tutorials, check out:
http://www.youtube.com/webhunterification

Return to “Installation & Boot”