Installed with Wubi, but no dual boot screen?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Perpetual_Bliss
Level 1
Level 1

Installed with Wubi, but no dual boot screen?

Post by Perpetual_Bliss » Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:40 pm

Hi there!

I'm trying out Mint for the first time. I downloaded & made a bootable USB of Linux Mint 10. I installed it inside windows using the wubi application that came with the download, and it seems to install properly, but then instead of telling me to restart my computer, it just stops and the window closes with no explanation. I check my application, and see Linux Mint there, but when I restart the computer, it boots right into Windows 7.

I went to Computer > Properties > Advanced Settings > (Advanced settings tab) > start up > settings, and the only OS listed there was Windows 7. I've tried reinstalling with wubi, but the same thing keeps happening.

Any suggestions as to what I can do to get it to install properly and dual boot?

Info:
ThinkPad T61, 2GB ram, 80GB drive, windows 7

Recent problems: I recently had a Kubuntu installation corrupt itself (it was installed via wubi as well), and I ended up uninstalling it. I'm not sure if this has messed up my computer's ability to run other ubuntu distros as well.

Please help and Thanks in advance! :D

JasonLG
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Installed with Wubi, but no dual boot screen?

Post by JasonLG » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:57 pm

Perpetual_Bliss wrote:Hi there!

I'm trying out Mint for the first time. I downloaded & made a bootable USB of Linux Mint 10. I installed it inside windows using the wubi application that came with the download, and it seems to install properly, but then instead of telling me to restart my computer, it just stops and the window closes with no explanation. I check my application, and see Linux Mint there, but when I restart the computer, it boots right into Windows 7.

I went to Computer > Properties > Advanced Settings > (Advanced settings tab) > start up > settings, and the only OS listed there was Windows 7. I've tried reinstalling with wubi, but the same thing keeps happening.

Any suggestions as to what I can do to get it to install properly and dual boot?

Info:
ThinkPad T61, 2GB ram, 80GB drive, windows 7

Recent problems: I recently had a Kubuntu installation corrupt itself (it was installed via wubi as well), and I ended up uninstalling it. I'm not sure if this has messed up my computer's ability to run other ubuntu distros as well.

Please help and Thanks in advance! :D
I've never used wubi personally but every thing I've heard about it pretty much says it sucks. If you want to dual boot do it the right way and first inside Windows unistall wubi then defrag your hard drive and then shrink your Windows partition with the built in partition editor and then boot off the liveCD and install Mint to the free space, 10-20GB should be more then enough space for Mint. There is a option in the installer to install along side another OS. After that you should get an option at startup as to which OS to boot into.
"I see" said the blind man to the deaf man who stuck his wooden leg out the window to check the weather.

StanTheMan
Level 5
Level 5

Post by StanTheMan » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:01 pm

Your Wubi obviously did not set up Grub.
I second the above advice of JasonLG.
I have never had problem with his method.

Perpetual_Bliss
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Perpetual_Bliss » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:50 am

Thanks for the replies.

I installed it in Virtual Box because I just couldn't get wubi to work. Other than being very slow (due to VB), as far as features go, it's okay; better than Ubuntu for a newbie - just looks more familiar. It would be great for someone completely leaving windows behind, but I still prefer Kubuntu. That being said, I've only tried the GNOME version, so maybe KDE version will be better.

Anyways, thanks again!

feed3
Level 4
Level 4

Post by feed3 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:51 am

Perpetual_Bliss wrote:Thanks for the replies.

I installed it in Virtual Box because I just couldn't get wubi to work... I've only tried the GNOME version, so maybe KDE version will be better.

Anyways, thanks again!
I'm unable to install Mint KDE inside windows using mint4win (wubi style installer for linux mint) but able to do so using mint 10 Main edition (gnome).

As you mentioned that you tried it from win 7, mount your mint iso file in windows, use magicdisk, virtual drive or any other program you want, go inside the mounted iso, right click on the installer (mint4win.exe) run as administrator, install. Should resolve your problem. Happy minting.. :)

Return to “Installation & Boot”