Possible to edit bootloader on Mint Live USB?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
fpd
Level 1
Level 1

Possible to edit bootloader on Mint Live USB?

Post by fpd » Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:22 am

Is it possible to edit the bootloader on a Linux Mint Live USB? (that is to say, Linux Mint .ISO was written to bootable USB, and I boot from that USB)

I looked through the USB filesystem for a file containing information similar to "menu.lst" (used to boot my HDD-installed version of Linux) but found no files to edit... Did I miss seeing the file(s)?

My aim is to remove the ten-seconds timeout at the "boot:" prompt, and then reduce the "... will start in 30 seconds..." timeout to zero seconds. The reason for wanting zero seconds timeout is the computer booting the Mint Live USB has no hard drive (crashed, removed).

Thank you!

feed3
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Possible to edit bootloader on Mint Live USB?

Post by feed3 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:09 am

fpd wrote: My aim is to remove the ten-seconds timeout at the "boot:" prompt, and then reduce the "... will start in 30 seconds..." timeout to zero seconds. The reason for wanting zero seconds timeout is the computer booting the Mint Live USB has no hard drive (crashed, removed).
usb live usually using syslinux as bootloader. The file you are looking for should be syslinux.cfg. The location of the file depends on how you create the usb live, normally in boot/syslinux folder but i don't think it will be a problem for you to find the file.

cheers. :)

AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP » Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:56 am

boot/syslinux/syslinux.cfg when created using Universal USB installer. boot/grub/grub.cfg on a multiboot USB, except if it's made by YUMI.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.

fpd
Level 1
Level 1

Post by fpd » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:32 am

feed and albert... Thank you for your replies.

I made the bootable Mint USB using... heh... a bootable Ubuntu Netbook USB (the version BEFORE Ubuntu wrecked the Universal USB installer).

I am at a 'cafe' now... will get to your suggestions as soon as I get home.

fpd
Level 1
Level 1

Post by fpd » Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:26 am

Feed & Albert... You are both correct (for data).

The file /syslinux/syslinux.cfg contains the timeout of "300" (milliseconds), and must be edited when the USB is inserted as a device in a running system, NOT as a running USB Linux (does that make sense?).

When I asked my question (this thread) I had been booting to this Linux USB and searching the same USB for the file containing the timeout, but I could not gain access (did/do not know how to gain access) to the part of the USB that contained /syslinux/syslinux.cfg

Because of your help, I also found some other nice stuff... for another thread. :mrgreen:

geeks

feed3
Level 4
Level 4

Post by feed3 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:05 am

fpd wrote:and must be edited when the USB is inserted as a device in a running system, NOT as a running USB Linux (does that make sense?).
Yes, you need to edit it from another running system, you cannot edit it from within the usb live running from that drive.
workaround for me;
1. edit from windows. open that file using wordpad (hard to edit from notepad, for me)
2. run live from cd/dvd, plug the drive and edit that file.
3. use another usb live, plug the drive and edit that file.

when you run usb live from that particular drive, system will "see" that drive as read-only medium thus it is the reason why we can't edit it.

AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP » Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:10 am

I don't exactly know how to edit it when running from USB, but when you run gksu nautilus in terminal, you should be able to browse through the files with permission for everything. Note that gksu does not require a password on Live USB.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.

Return to “Installation & Boot”