Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
harper
Level 2
Level 2

No option for "install alongside other OS" from live DVD

Post by harper »

I am trying to install Mint 10 Julia from a live DVD and when I choose "install" from the desktop I get only option 2. Erase and install and 3. Manually partition.

Totally new to linux so be gentle. I searched and found some people asking the same question but didn't find any resolution at least that I could understand. How do I get it to give me option 1. Install alongside other OS?

Thanks.

wayne128
Level 10
Level 10

Re: No option for "install alongside other OS" from live DVD

Post by wayne128 »

It is difficult to compare because each person has different hardware and OS environment.

It is usually better to have partition set up before attempt to install Linux OS.

For your case, your hard disk might have something that make Mint installer to grey out 'side-by-side'.

You could always check your hard disk partition layout first.
If you are interested to do it, you could boot Live CD and open a terminal, then in the terminal type one command

sudo fdisk -l

then hit return, it should print out on terminal some results, copy all the results and post here

then do likewise on second command

sudo parted -l print

hit return, copy the result and post here.

harper
Level 2
Level 2

Post by harper »

Thanks. Also the side by side option is not just greyed out...it's not even there. Only two options are listed.

For the first command:

Disk /dev/sda: 120.0 GB, 120034123776 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 14593 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x6bba44a8

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 1 192 1536000 27 Unknown
Partition 1 does not end on cylinder boundary.
/dev/sda2 * 192 14594 115683328 7 HPFS/NTFS

For the second:

Model: ATA Hitachi HTS54161 (scsi)
Disk /dev/sda: 120GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: msdos

Number Start End Size Type File system Flags
1 1049kB 1574MB 1573MB primary ntfs diag
2 1574MB 120GB 118GB primary ntfs boot

Warning: Unable to open /dev/sr0 read-write (Read-only file system). /dev/sr0
has been opened read-only.
Error: /dev/sr0: unrecognised disk label

wayne128
Level 10
Level 10

Post by wayne128 »

harper wrote: Disk /dev/sda: 120.0 GB, 120034123776 bytes

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 1 192 1536000 27 Unknown
Partition 1 does not end on cylinder boundary.
/dev/sda2 * 192 14594 115683328 7 HPFS/NTFS

For the second:

Model: ATA Hitachi HTS54161 (scsi)
Disk /dev/sda: 120GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: msdos

Number Start End Size Type File system Flags
1 1049kB 1574MB 1573MB primary ntfs diag
2 1574MB 120GB 118GB primary ntfs boot

OK, yours has a unknown sda1 partition, which is like compaq diag partition

your sda2 occupy the rest and is windows ntfs format

may be Mint installer cannot find extra space so side by side is not available

Now if you run windows, then use its disk manager to shrink c: drive. Some people also recommend to defrag first before shrinking c: drive.

After shrinking the drive, there will be space unallocated, then when you boot up Mint Live CD it should see unallocated space and should ( I think so) provide you with side by side option.

but really, side-by-side option is not too important, at least for me and many forumers who always create manual partition to install OS.

alternatively, without going into windows, from Mint running Live CD, you can also run gparted, then use it to shrink the partition. check tutorials which are plenty.

One possible issue is the diag partition that Linux said it is unknown, I have not yet dealt with it, I am not sure if there is any issue putting boot loader inside a unknown partition.

harper
Level 2
Level 2

Post by harper »

Thanks. I will try to shrink the drive first. I don't know how to manually partition without screwing something up so will look into the tutorials for that. Just want to get the thing installed so I can start exploring and learning.

wayne128
Level 10
Level 10

Post by wayne128 »

one of the reference I used was partedmagic

read here for tutorial on gparted,
took a little while to learn.
it is easy once the initial learning curve was over.

http://partedmagic.com/doku.php?id=using_gparted

harper
Level 2
Level 2

Post by harper »

Thanks....I am working my way through it in the Vista Admin tools...hopefully this will solve the problem.

harper
Level 2
Level 2

Post by harper »

Well shit it only gives me 2.57GB of unallocated space. I need 10gb as I understand it to install. I have over 30 free on the drive. Not sure what to do now.

Have any advice how to proceed? Not sure why I cannot get more unallocated space out of the 30 free.

wayne128
Level 10
Level 10

Post by wayne128 »

you probably need some clean up
like delete unwanted files, unwanted zip/exe that you download and no longer need.

some linke when google with 'how to delete unwanted files in vista'

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/setup/cleansweep.aspx

http://www.mydigitallife.info/windows-v ... k-cleaner/

harper
Level 2
Level 2

Post by harper »

I don't have much excess junk. I defragged and cleaned recently. Will do it again tonight and let it run...takes a while.

I just cannot understand why there is 30gb of free space but only 3gb can be made unallocated. What am I not understanding here?

Edit: Well defrag changed nothing. I am at a loss.

lmintnewb

Post by lmintnewb »

Would try using gparted. Pretty sure they make a live disk or get a copy of knoppix. Wouldn't expect windows to make disk utils any better than the other junk they make. Gparted should be fairly straight forward to use.

Probably just format the unallocated space you want as ext3. Assuming it's at the end of the other existing partitions on the disk. If you've defragged and dskchked beforehand ... good.

Also many people seem to speak highly of back up utilities ... like clonezilla to mirror your partition so you can restore it if ya run into problems. Although if you're careful doubt you'll have them. See nothing wrong with better safe than sorry.

Also note I'm a linux mint newb and listening to me could result in worsening your tech issues where installing linux is concerned. Can't hurt to google a lil bit about dual booting vista and linux mint. Though don't see why gparted would have any problems helping you to slice up your hard drive with a partitioning scheme more to your liking.

Cannot remember if it's the same in vista. Been awhile since I've used it. But in xp, recycle bin automatically reserves 10% of your drive ( way more than necessary ) You can adjust it more to your liking making that reserved space available. And system restore by default claims another 10% of the drive.

So would get rid of old restore points by turning system restore off or reduce the settings as to how much disk it has reserved. ( edit) Then run defrag or poss safe mode defrag and diskcheck.

Setting up partitions manually to install mint, is not a big deal. Seems like you just have to get over the hurdle of the install disk giving you some more options. Good luck.

killinjoe
Level 1
Level 1

Post by killinjoe »

a linuxMint Live CD comes with gparted as default.

Windows does not like to be shrunk, that's a fact. So it ought to be easier on the other (Linux) side.

you should boot from a LiveCD, run gparted, and manually resize windows' main partition.

You will the have a unallocated space at your disposal to install Mint. My advice would be to set aside as much as 30 Go, but hey! that's definitely your call.

before you close gparted, don't forget to create a new partition (ext4) on the unallocated space. Then boot again and select this partition for Mint to install on.

hope it'll help. :D

MintyO
Level 4
Level 4

Post by MintyO »

It seems like you should just learn more about partitioning so you don't have to be scared to mess up your system. Here's a good article/tutorial that should meet your needs: http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/dual ... buntu.html

I also recommend that general website to all. It has topics ranging from basics of the basic to compiling your own kernel :D. All I really needed to know before having the nerve to step into linux (and Mint soon after).

Wohoo, my first post. Thanks for the great forum. I thought I joined for the "unread-posts" funktionality, but now I'm already posting.
Ducks on the edge sleep with one eye open.

harper
Level 2
Level 2

Post by harper »

Well I have run Gparted and don't see any more available space really. The tutorial says don't mess with the boot partition and that is the only one listed with an size.

I have

/dev/sda1 NTFS Toshiba System Volume 1.46gb size 500.07MiB used 999.93MiB unused Flag:diag

/dev/sda 2 NTFS SQ004XXXXXX 107.76GiB ---used ---unused Flag: boot

unallocated unallocated 2.57GiB ---used ---unused

The drive properties say about 30gb is free so it has to be mostly in the boot flagged section which I am not supposed to mess with. How do I reclaim that? Even if I select that partition (again which the tutorial says not to mess with) it says I can get 2.5gb out of a resize. That plus the other 2.57gb and .5gb still don't add up to enough and don't add up to the 30gb said free. Not sure what to do obviously.

pradhishkumaAR
Level 1
Level 1

Post by pradhishkumaAR »

hi you should try manual partitioning and shrink the drive where you have 30gigs and use the rest for linuxmint. Just for info mint needs 2 partition(essential) to install. root and swap.

try to go in manual partitioning and if u succed in shrinking the partition then create a root partition called / and swap partition(usualy twice the size of your ram) and proceed.

if you fail in shrinking the partition that way try using programs like acronis or any other partiton manager in windows and then proceed as above.

hope this helps

AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Twice the size of RAM is no longer needed with modern kernels, just a bit more than your RAM should be enough.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.

MintyO
Level 4
Level 4

Post by MintyO »

harper wrote:Well I have run Gparted and don't see any more available space really. The tutorial says don't mess with the boot partition and that is the only one listed with an size.

I have

/dev/sda1 NTFS Toshiba System Volume 1.46gb size 500.07MiB used 999.93MiB unused Flag:diag

/dev/sda 2 NTFS SQ004XXXXXX 107.76GiB ---used ---unused Flag: boot

unallocated unallocated 2.57GiB ---used ---unused

The drive properties say about 30gb is free so it has to be mostly in the boot flagged section which I am not supposed to mess with. How do I reclaim that? Even if I select that partition (again which the tutorial says not to mess with) it says I can get 2.5gb out of a resize. That plus the other 2.57gb and .5gb still don't add up to enough and don't add up to the 30gb said free. Not sure what to do obviously.
So if I understand correctly - sorry I didn't catch this from the first post - you have 120G drive and Vista takes ~108G. If this is the case I have no idea how you can shrink it down. All my experience with Vista has been bad. My pre-installed Windows 7 configuration had almost 250 gigs reserved for the OS (aka C:), the space it occupies is bit short of 60 and I succesfully shrunk the partition with Gparted to about 130. Don't ask me why I left so much room to grow. :oops:
Ducks on the edge sleep with one eye open.

harper
Level 2
Level 2

Post by harper »

Sorry to be obtuse but I am not following some of the advice. I tried shrinking using Vistas Utilities and only got 2.57gb out of it. I tried with Gparted and can only get another 1/2gb or so out of it I believe.....the main partition where Vista is installed is 108GB and the drive properties say 30gb is free...so where the heck is the other 27gb or so that is unaccounted for? If there is 30 free shouldn't I be able to "unallocate" or make a manual partition of far more than 3gb total?

To me it makes sense that that free 30gb is in the 108gb partition but I have run defrag, dskchk and cleaner and gain nothing. I am considering deleting my photos to free up 20gb but if there is already 30gb free and I cannot find it I am not sure 20gb more in that same partition will help. All utlities I use say the 108 cannot be made smaller...yet it has close to 30gb free space in it somewhere.

Is there a way to pull that unneeded space out of the 108gb Vista partition other than the "shrinking" which isn't working?

I would just do a full MINT install but it is a shared laptop and I don't have Vista reinstall disks.

lmintnewb

Post by lmintnewb »

Did you try getting rid of that 10% recycle-bin takes ? Should just be a matter of right clicking on it, select properties and sliding it down. If you set it to 0%, should just mean things will be deleted without a stop in the recycle-bin. Not a problem really, considering usually when people delete something they want it gone anyway.

At 120gb's, means recycle-bin is sitting on 12gb's ... give or take of your hard drive space. As mentioned would turn off system restore too. Vista and win7, make a copy of your registry every time you install a new program.

Knowing M$, it is at least sitting on another 10% of your drive space. After you've done that would again advise you to defrag or safe mode defrag. To get all the data on that partition into one continuous chunk.

Here's a free winblows disk util I've actually used and it's pretty decent and works with vista. EASEUS Partition Master (Home Edition)

http://www.snapfiles.com/Freeware/syste ... tools.html

And a good defrag tool from snapfiles too. It makes it easy to do a boot time defrag +diskcheck and works in vista too. Puran Defrag Free Edition.

http://www.snapfiles.com/Freeware/system/fwdefrag.html

Once you've defragged the partition. Slide it from the left side of the partition to the size you want to shrink it down to and free up space. As mentioned would keep copies of anything important you have on the partition ahead of time. Hopefully you have the install disks for vista too. Doubt you'll need them. But never hurts to be prepared or backup stuff important to you whatever you're doing.

You're going to have to mess with the primary partition on your drive if that's where all the free space is. Manually partitioning from the livecd is child's play and common sense after you've done 10-15mins of reading about it.

You need a swap partition. Swap same size as RAM. Then a / < Main partition where your linux mint will live. Tell the installer to format it as ext3 or ext4. I used ext3, cause this is an older comp and I'd read some stuff about people with older hardware having issues with ext4.

Though never got to the bottom of whether that's true or not. Just did it as a precaution and in my case Mint's running perfecto.

harper
Level 2
Level 2

Post by harper »

Thanks for the advice. You guys are all very friendly...a welcome change to some forums. I am working through the steps you suggested. Set Recyle to 1mb (min allowed) and auto delete without a stop. I am trying to find settings to reduce space Restore uses but if I cannot then I will shut it off entirely though that makes me a bit nervous because if an update wonks something up then I cannot go back. Then off to defrag.

As I mentioned I do NOT have Vista disks to have to be careful. And unless I can get one of the partition programs to allow me to change the main partition size I am stuck anyway. So far I cannot shrink it.

I'd like to put all my data on a separate partition and make the Vista partition as small as it can be for what it needs for the OS and it's programs. Can I do that at this point? If I back up and delete the data from the Vista partition do you think that will allow me to shrink it further? (It feels like it wont since it has 30gb free in there as it is and won't let me) And then is there a way to have that data in it's own partition readable by both Vista and Mint?
Last edited by harper on Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Installation & Boot”