Reinstall?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Draucia

Reinstall?

Post by Draucia »

How can I reinstall/restore back to a fresh out of the box linux mint install? I've screwd up my drivers (v4l or something) and want to reinstall linux mint. Is there a way other than to format the linux mint partition? and if I do:

Would I delete sd8, sd5, and sd6 linux swaps so they are unallocated space and then delete sd7 (main one)? Then merge it all into windows 7 and then install with "install along side with other operating system" and select how much to give to linux? If there is an easier way, please tell me. Thanks. :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Reinstall?

Post by tdockery97 »

It sounds like you are wanting to have two basically equal sized partitions, one for Windows and one for Mint. The easiest way is to boot into windows, go to Disk Management, and delete all the linux partitions. Then, extend the Windows partition (just to wipe the other stuff out and start clean). Now, after doing a system defrag to clean up the Windows drive as much as possible, from Windows Disk Management, shrink the Windows partition by 50% (that's about as much as it will allow).

Now you can do a fresh Mint install and tell it to use the largest continuous free space.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
Draucia

Post by Draucia »

tdockery97 wrote:It sounds like you are wanting to have two basically equal sized partitions, one for Windows and one for Mint. The easiest way is to boot into windows, go to Disk Management, and delete all the linux partitions. Then, extend the Windows partition (just to wipe the other stuff out and start clean). Now, after doing a system defrag to clean up the Windows drive as much as possible, from Windows Disk Management, shrink the Windows partition by 50% (that's about as much as it will allow).

Now you can do a fresh Mint install and tell it to use the largest continuous free space.
Is a defrag required? When I have the free space and put in the linux mint CD, which option would I pick? Install along side with other operating system? Would it automatically use the unallocated space? Or should I create a linux partition. If I do, what type would it be? And would I create the "linux swap" or whatever?
itsme4401

Post by itsme4401 »

Is a defrag required?
IMHO: no. However, if I were you, I would run chkdsk twice in my WindowsOS: First time:
Then, extend the Windows partition (just to wipe the other stuff out and start clean)
and the second time:
shrink the Windows partition by 50%
Both times I would assure myself of the complete functioning of the Windows OS before continuing.
1. Don't forget to run chkdsk twice each time.
2. Better safe than sorry: back up your whole system externally before starting these operations.
Good luck!!

Return to “Installation & Boot”