How to delete another linux distro and not mess it up?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
omegaman
Level 3
Level 3

How to delete another linux distro and not mess it up?

Post by omegaman »

I have Mint 10 Main edition installed, and I created another partition and installed CrunchBang. So after some issues (poor CMOS battery and figuring the nVidia drivers were pulling too much power and heating things up) I have Mint where I want it. Obviously Crunchbang is now the default in grub, so I have to bypass it on start up and would like to avoid that since I rarely use it.

From my reading and searching I surmise I delete the partition containing Crunchbang, then use synaptic to remove the debian kernal and the older Mint kernal, then clean up grub. I installed grub customizer which purports to make that easier via GUI.

Just want to make sure I'm not missing anything.
Dell D800 1.8 gHz, 2Gb 60 Gb Mint10
http://www.billmecca.com

michaelzap
Level 3
Level 3

Re: How to delete another linux distro and not mess it up?

Post by michaelzap »

Mostly it depends on where you installed Grub. If you installed it to your MBR, then all you need to do is to delete the #! partition and run sudo update-grub from your Mint system. Grub will realize that #! is no longer there and just remove it from the list of choices. The Debian kernel is probably also on the #! partition, so you'd be all set.

But you could have installed Grub to a separate boot partition or to the #! partition, which might make for a more complicated process. You probably didn't install it to your Mint partition if you're seeing #! first in the menu. Probably the worst thing that could happen would be that you'd need to reinstall Grub from a Live CD or USB image, so have one handy just in case.

If you're triple-booting with Windows or OSX, however, you should make sure that you understand how you've set up Grub before you start so that you don't make those systems unbootable (which can also be resolved, but may require their own disk images).

omegaman
Level 3
Level 3

Post by omegaman »

#! installed Grub, I have no idea where.( I don't remember having a choice in the install process, but it is all a blur right now) LOL I'll try deleting it's partition and updating grub and see what happens. If everything works then fine, if not I'll try something else ;-) thanks.

omegaman
Level 3
Level 3

Post by omegaman »

Mint is in /dev/.sda1
#! is /dev/sda6 (flagged as boot) which is under an extended partition dev/sda2
also part of that extended partition is dev/sda7 linux swap
unallocated
/dev/sda5 linux swap

so if I delete sda6 which is flagged boot (and contains #!) will the system still boot, since that partition is flagged a boot?

nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Post by nunol »

You don't need two SWAP partitions but it's not a problem either.

Since Ubuntu/Xubuntu/Lubuntu released on 28 April I broke my Grub2 install 3 times, I have Mint 10 with separate boot partiton because of btrfs.

I fixed the first times by installing the next OS and the last time, from mint 10 live CD erasing the last OS partition and running this:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2 ... 20GRUB%202

If you make a mistake and can't boot anymore just install a new OS (ex: a second Mint 10, etc) and try again. As long as you don't erase you main OS partition you are safe but backup your importante data just in case.

Another way it's to wait for Mint 11 and then erase Mint 10.

Return to “Installation & Boot”