Question regarding home parition and installation.

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
neji49
Level 1
Level 1

Question regarding home parition and installation.

Post by neji49 »

When I first installed Mint, a suggestion was to use a separate home partition because I could preserve my home folder when upgrading. I know it is possible to use bash to modify permissions and set it up, but can the installer recognize and mount a home partition automatically? Or do I need to manually do it?
wayne128
Level 10
Level 10

Re: Question regarding home parition and installation.

Post by wayne128 »

neji49 wrote:When I first installed Mint, a suggestion was to use a separate home partition because I could preserve my home folder when upgrading. I know it is possible to use bash to modify permissions and set it up, but can the installer recognize and mount a home partition automatically? Or do I need to manually do it?
Normally installer can search and tell where is Swap partition

However if you wish to have separate home partition, you need to manual tell installer which partition you want to mount as /home
DataMan
Level 6
Level 6

Post by DataMan »

To add to Wayne128's comments.

While in the manual partition section of the installer, make sure that you DO NOT check the "format" checkbox for the partition identified as "/home". That will leave the contents of your existing /home intact.

-DataMan
Linux'd since 2005 Linux ID 422356 Ubuntu ID 15015
cakehead
Level 2
Level 2

Post by cakehead »

Message to neji49, I to have the same thoughts on a separate /home. I have been reading lots of howto's on the internet and decided to play around. I have two hard drives in my machine so I used manual setup to set / on the first drive and /home on the second drive. Installation went as planned and /home worked. I created a file and saved it in /home/documents. I then did another install and followed dataman's tip about not formatting /home on a new installation. After setup had finished I checked /home and the file I created was still there. I am so pleased with the result, I could not believe it was so simple in the end. Thanks for your help and advice dataman and the inspiration neji49.
And not forgetting Wayne 128, thanks guys
DataMan
Level 6
Level 6

Post by DataMan »

If you're going to share a /home across multiple ops, suggest paying attention to the revision levels of the ops. If you share, say a common /home with the same user account structure across, say Mint 8 & 10, you may wind up with some difficulties with respect to the common config files.

-DataMan
Linux'd since 2005 Linux ID 422356 Ubuntu ID 15015
neji49
Level 1
Level 1

Post by neji49 »

Okay, I'm glad it's so simple, thank you all for the explanation!
Dutch70
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Dutch70 »

If you're multi-booting it's best not to share a /home partition. Sharing a data partition will save you a lot of headaches.
Then you can symlink your folders in your data partition to your home directory in each OS with a middle click & drag.
rockhazard
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rockhazard »

Don't know if this is the right place to ask this, or if it's different enough that it needs a new thread, but here it goes: can I migrate from ubuntu to mint using the same /home partition?
StanTheMan
Level 5
Level 5

Post by StanTheMan »

The /home/UserName directory holds desktop settings and application settings and e-mail.
If you are using the same desktop and same e-mail client on both systems, and using the same UserName, you can miggrate /home .
rockhazard
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rockhazard »

Cool. Thanks.

Return to “Installation & Boot”