Mint 10 Gnome Live-CD gets stuck

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
OS2-User
Level 2
Level 2

Mint 10 Gnome Live-CD gets stuck

Post by OS2-User »

On my old Athlon XP-M based laptop with ATI Radeon IGP 320M (Radeon VE / 7000) integrated graphics (max. screen resolution 768x1024 with 64MB shared RAM out of 1GB total) and ALi 1535+ chipset, I can't get the Gnome Live-CD to finish booting, no matter if regular (with 'splash' kernel parameter removed) or in Compatibility mode. I end up with the bootlogo with the 5 dots underneath, hear the jingle and a mouse pointer, but nothing else.

Regular boot: in graphics mode, after early on switching to the boot listings with ESC, the last lines being displayed are:
- * Setting sensors limits [OK]
- [....] AC'97 1 access is not valid [0xffffffff], removing mixer
- [....] ali mixer 1 creating error.

Compatibility mode: in graphics mode, after early on switching to the boot listings with ESC, the last lines being displayed are:
- Begin: Running /scripts/init-bottom ... done
- * Setting sensors limits [OK]

When I then switch back to the desktop via ESC, I get the moving mouse pointer, but still see the previous listing with its black background. Apparently the Desktop refresh is stuck but for the mouse.

So, what's going on here and how do I get a populated, working Desktop?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
OS2-User
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Mint 10 & 11RC Gnome Live-CD missing Desktop

Post by OS2-User »

In the meantime I learned, that KMS (kernel-mode-setting) apparently is messing up X for me.
When I use the kernel parameter 'nomodeset', I finally get to see the Desktop the way it should be, but unfortunately lose the nice 50 lines in the consoles :-(
Any way around that or advice, how to fix whatever dumb thing KMS is doing?

Addendum 25.May:
In the meantime I replaced my laptop's CD-RW/DVD-ROM combi drive with a DVD+/-RW capable one, so that for the first time now I also could give LMDE a try.
And, who would have thought it, apparently Ubuntu screwed up once again, in this case with using KMS for the video settings. LMDE is booting up just fine without any manual intervention required, offering the nice 50 lines consoles.
So, the dumb thing doesn't seem to be KMS per se, but whatever else dumb thing Canonical introduced additionally, causing Ubuntu to be unusable on this laptop w/o the 'nomodeset' directive. Way to go Debian!

Return to “Installation & Boot”