Best way to upgrade BOTH XP and Mint on double boot?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
rlindsey0
Level 3
Level 3

Best way to upgrade BOTH XP and Mint on double boot?

Post by rlindsey0 »

Right now I've got my laptop double-booting with XP and Mint 10. I'm considering not only upgrading to Katya when it comes out but also upgrading XP to Windows 7 (I hav 7 on other computers and like it better than i thought I would). I still need Windows for a few tasks and can't do without it completely.

So what I'm wondering is, what's the best way to do this without messing myself up too much? Should I do XP-->7 first, then Julia-->Katya? Or does it matter? (Originally, i had XP on this laptop first, then added Mint.)

Here are the partitions I have now.
PartitionsScreenshot.png
I also have an outboard 500 GB drive, to which I can back up my current data so they don't get wiped accidentally.

As you can see, I don't have a separate /home, but I do have a separate data partition. Actually, in a sense, I have two "data" partitions. There's an NTFS partition called MusicPhotoVideo, which both OSs mount and therefore share. The ext4 Data partition is only for Mint's use. My initial thought is that i could first back up my Mint and my XP data to my outboard drive. Then I could install Windows 7 in the current XP partition, and 7 would see and mount the NTFS MusicPhotoVideo partition when it runs. Next, I would restore my Windows data to the new W7 install. Finally, I could install Katya in Julia's current partition (/), leave the swap partition alone, and tell Katya to mount Data and MusicPhotoVideo but not to format either one. Then i could restore my backed-up Mint data, and any software.

Does this sound like a good way to go about things, or is there a better way?

Thanks for any input.

Richard
Sarah 18 Cinnamon 64, dual-boot Win 10 Pro 64 SP1, Clevo W150ER 15.6" laptop, i7 3630M, 16 GB RAM, Samsung SSD 840 Pro 256 GB/HGST 1 TB 7200 RPM, Nvidia GT 650M 1 GB, eSATA 3.0 HGST 1 TB 7200 RPM, HP Photosmart C5280
Aging Technogeek
Level 13
Level 13

Re: Best way to upgrade BOTH XP and Mint on double boot?

Post by Aging Technogeek »

Sounds like a good plan. Installing Win7 will, of course, destroy your Grub installation, but installing Katya will rebuild Grub. Using a separate Data partition makes the entire transition easier also.
Registered Linux User 483387

Return to “Installation & Boot”