Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Stosskraft
Level 3
Level 3

Can not load mint 11 at all

Post by Stosskraft »

Hello I am running mint 10 very happily on my laptop, but I cannot get 11 to load no what I do.

I have tried this:

1. Made a USB start disk on my work computer and tired a live session there. It worked with no problems and I am happy with it.

2. Used same USB disk on my laptop and I only get a blank screen...after I have to type in 'live'..but the same USB works fine on another computer.

3. Made separate USB start up disks with Unetbootin and pendrive, same result.

4. Burned the ISO to a CD and booted from there. Saw the Mint 11 logo briefly and then blank screen.

What options do I have left? I can load my Live mint 10 USB no problem but using the exact same procedure for 11 nets a blank screen.

Really at a lost, as I have been with Mint since 8 and never had this problem.

Please help. Thanks

SimonTS
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Can not load mint 11 at all

Post by SimonTS »

I suspect the old graphics issue. When you get the GRUB menu (where you select 'default' etc), press <TAB>. Remover the words 'quiet' and 'splash', replaces them with 'nomodeset' and press <ENTER> to boot. If this doesn't work, then let us know some more details - hardware specs, error messages etc please.

Stosskraft
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Stosskraft »

hello thanks for that. I tired as you said and no result, it went blank again. But during the test I did see a (fail) notice next too 'load fall back devices: {fail}'

My spec are (running mint 10)

Code: Select all

-Computer-
Processor		: 2x AMD Athlon(tm) II P320 Dual-Core Processor
Memory		: 3860MB (802MB used)
Operating System		: Linux Mint 10 Julia
User Name		: yanek (Yanek)
Date/Time		: Sat 28 May 2011 05:56:10 PM ICT
-Display-
Resolution		: 1366x768 pixels
OpenGL Renderer		: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4200 Series
X11 Vendor		: The X.Org Foundation
-Multimedia-
Audio Adapter		: HDA-Intel - HDA ATI SB
Audio Adapter		: HDA-Intel - HDA ATI HDMI
-Input Devices-
 Power Button
 Lid Switch
 Power Button
 AT Translated Set 2 keyboard
 Video Bus
 Genius Optical Mouse
 HP WMI hotkeys
 HP Webcam-101
 SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad
-Printers-
No printers found
-SCSI Disks-
ATA ST9500420AS
hp CDDVDW TS-L633N
Generic- Multi-Card
Hope this helps

SimonTS
Level 6
Level 6

Post by SimonTS »

Can you please try to find out the exact error message - if it helps then use a digital camera to take a photo of the screen and post it here.

Stosskraft
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Stosskraft »

no error message, just blank screen.

The only one I see is the one I noted after typing in what you recommended.

:(

SimonTS
Level 6
Level 6

Post by SimonTS »

Yeah, but what was the exact message? Something is missing from it. I suspect it was actually;-
"load fallback graphics devices [fail]".

As you appear to still have Mint 10 running, can you please post the output of;-
$ inxi -G

I don't believe it is a direct problem with your graphics card as I have the identical card in my laptop and it installed first time.

Stosskraft
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Stosskraft »

yes you are correct about the error. It goes by quickly but that is it.

This is output I get from that command:

inxi -G
Graphics: Card ATI M880G [Mobility Radeon HD 4200] X.Org 1.9.0 Res: 1366x768@60.0hz
GLX Renderer ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4200 Series GLX Version 3.3.10237 Compatibility Profile Context

thanks for you help :)

SimonTS
Level 6
Level 6

Post by SimonTS »

This is the output from my laptop;-
Graphics: Card ATI M880G [Mobility Radeon HD 4200] X.Org 1.10.1 Res: 1366x768@60.0hz
GLX Renderer Gallium 0.4 on AMD RS880 GLX Version 2.1 Mesa 7.10.2

I'm not sure why your system would be failing on the same graphics cards as mine, which worked first time. I would have to start by asking the obvious questions I guess;-
Did you download the CD or the full DVD version of Mint 11? 32-bit or 64-bit?
Did you check the MD5 of the downloaded ISO?
Is your BIOS up-to-date?
What are you trying to run this on? Mine is an Acer Aspire 5553.

The other thing to do is try a few different boot options instead of 'nomodeset'. The Ubuntu documentation gives details on them - https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LiveCDBootOptions - and - https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootO ... %20Options - but I would try the following to see if any of them help;-
xforcevesa
acpi=off noapic nolapic
Last edited by SimonTS on Sun May 29, 2011 4:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Stosskraft
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Stosskraft »

I have tried both the cd 32 bit and the DVD 64 bit. Both USB and burning it to a CD. Do you recommend one version over another?

Sorry I don't know the MD5...I did check the disk integrity of the CD and it checked out. The CD also showes a brief MINT 11 logo before going to a black blank screen.

The computer is a HP G42 laptop, old about 6 months old, but I have never updated the Bios.

When pressing the esc key during a blank black screen I get an error: stdin error 0
/init: line 7 can't open /dev/sdb: no medium found

the rest of it goes to quickly and then freezes.

I am thinking of re-installing Mint 10 then trying 11...my mint 10 USB works flawlessly.

Any ideas?

SimonTS
Level 6
Level 6

Post by SimonTS »

I believe that your laptop is 64-bit compliant, but if you aren't certain then you can just as easily run the 32-bit version of Mint. AFAIK there is very little difference in how your system will run unless you have large amounts of RAM. So, to ensure it's not causing a problem, the 32-bit version would be safer.
Also, to be safer, I'd recommend the DVD version (CD if you can't burn DVDs - as USB sticks can cause problems of their own sometimes. They are much faster and if you have one that you know for certain works on your hardware then they are useful to keep around as a recovery system, but CDs/DVDs tend to have less likelihood of causing problems. The new error message you have reported would seem to indicate a problem with the live image on the USB stick.
To check the MD5 checksum would depend on what O/S you are using to download the ISO image.
In Windows, you can download a tool called MD5Sums from here - http://www.pc-tools.net/win32/md5sums/
You can either use it from a command-line, or drag-and-drop the file you want to check over the application.
In Linux, you type md5sum <filenname>

The MD5 checksums for the different versions of the ISO are as follows;-
DVD 32-bit: 010bad6bf2bb58f61fea8e437366576c
DVD 64-bit: 773b6cdfe44b91bc44448fa7b34bffa8
CD no codecs 32-bit: b68ffed453e8d64e683bca5c041c3208
CD no codecs 64-bit: f7ba8582b319eeda33636bf2b39546a3
OEM 32-bit: c8d1d0b9eaef8b1f1b1b38b65f9c144e
OEM 64-bit: 635879235d2c7a450331c53b767f1e0e

Stosskraft
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Stosskraft »

Ok I i will try that. I have tried acpi=off and acpi=force but no luck with either.

am I going to be the first person in the world to leave MInt for the new Ubuntu?

Stosskraft
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Stosskraft »

I have tried booting with:

acpi=off
acpi=force
xforcevesa
startx

I have also tried: CD and USB start up disks of 32 and 64 bit with and without codecs

I also re-installed MINT 10 with no problem.

Maybe 11 is just not stable? after 3 years of Mint I will switch to something that is easier to load, I have been tring this for 3 days .

SimonTS
Level 6
Level 6

Post by SimonTS »

I agree with your comment about Mint 11. It is, currently, not very stable at all - but this is due to the Ubuntu base system, not Mint itself. Unfortunately there is very little that Clem and the team can do to resolve 99% of the issues currently in Mint. If, however, you have been using Mint happily for 3 years then why not just stick with Mint 10 until either Mint 11 (and Ubuntu) sort out the problems, which you will be able to tell by the amount of problems on the forums; or wait for Mint 12 to come out and give that a try?
I am currently using Mint 11 because it installed on my hardware, but I'm not very happy and I am probably going to drop back to Mint 10 for stability. As far as I can tell there is very little difference to be gained, apart from the switch to LibreOffice.
If you are looking at switching distros then that would be your choice, but I'm not convinced what to go to? I've been playing around with Fedora 15 - and it seems quite sturdy, but I don't really like the GNOME3 interface or the way that it does things (Package Manager etc).
At the end of the day, nobody can stop you moving - but consider the benefits of sticking with what you know.

Stosskraft
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Stosskraft »

SimonTS wrote:I agree with your comment about Mint 11. It is, currently, not very stable at all - but this is due to the Ubuntu base system, not Mint itself. Unfortunately there is very little that Clem and the team can do to resolve 99% of the issues currently in Mint. If, however, you have been using Mint happily for 3 years then why not just stick with Mint 10 until either Mint 11 (and Ubuntu) sort out the problems, which you will be able to tell by the amount of problems on the forums; or wait for Mint 12 to come out and give that a try?
I am currently using Mint 11 because it installed on my hardware, but I'm not very happy and I am probably going to drop back to Mint 10 for stability. As far as I can tell there is very little difference to be gained, apart from the switch to LibreOffice.
If you are looking at switching distros then that would be your choice, but I'm not convinced what to go to? I've been playing around with Fedora 15 - and it seems quite sturdy, but I don't really like the GNOME3 interface or the way that it does things (Package Manager etc).
At the end of the day, nobody can stop you moving - but consider the benefits of sticking with what you know.
Hello, You make some great points, I was really happy with MINT 10 and normally I just poped in the USB start up disk and installed...but I cannot understand what is going on this time.

I was really happy with MINT 10 and the re-install fixed my touchpad issue, so I guess I ll just stick with it. I was just hoping the few little upgrades would be worth it, but honestly I haven't seen this much trouble installing Ubuntu or Mint in my 3 years as a happy user. My laptop is only 6 months old and easily meets the requirements.

As for the libreoffice and few other software changes I had them added in 10 and can easily do it again. I even brought my usb's and cd's to work and verified they do indeed work...though I will not install on the work PC because it has to work and I cannot afford an unstable work system.

Thanks for all the help :)

Stosskraft
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Stosskraft »

Is it possible to add the new update manager and software centre to MINT 10?

I just cannot get mint 11 to load at all

:(

peterah
Level 1
Level 1

Post by peterah »

I have been battling with the same problem for 2 days - blank screen on startup after the boot menu. I have tried to use both DVD and USB drive but they are the same. The only way I can get it to work is to use the nomodeset switch but then I am stuck at a resolution of 1024x768 which I cannot change. Strange that it works on one notebook but not the other (which is newer).

I have just installed Mint 10 again without a problem.
Hopefully they sort out this boot problem in an updated release.

Stosskraft
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Stosskraft »

Well it helps knowing I am not the only one :)

Good luck

mm99
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mm99 »

ah well i booted it capability mode and as said above i got blank screen. but i waited for it still. and got a prompt just no gui.

Stosskraft
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Stosskraft »

does anyone have a solution for these issues?

SimonTS
Level 6
Level 6

Post by SimonTS »

@Stosskraft

You asked "Is it possible to add the new update manager and software centre to MINT 10". I'm not sure exactly what you are trying to achieve. Any software that runs under Mint 11 should run fine under Mint 10 as well. There are methods to 'upgrade' from Mint 10 to Mint 11 by changing the repositories, but there are no guarantees with any of them working fully, so it is down to the individual to try them and take the risk.

@mm99 & peterah

You added your problems onto someone else's thread. That is bad netiquette, and it also makes it far less likely that you will get a reply. Finding a thread with the same issue as you have is great, you can try out the same suggestions, but if they don't work for you then you should relaly open your own thread and ask for help. Feel free to reference the thread you found and tell people what you have tried and what happened.

Return to “Installation & Boot”