Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
cudayne
Level 2
Level 2

moniter strangeness.

Post by cudayne »

I have an old HP notebook computer i installed 10 and 11 on 11 works great looks good except for one tiny problem... as the screen on the notebook is broken I use an external monitor the screen displays fine but its like a mini desktop in the upper right corner of the monitor screen.

It looks good its just not using the monitors screen at all. Now on mint 10 an 9 on this pc i had too use the nomodeset option too even get the pc too boot on 11 i didn't but as i have stated the desktop is probably 4 inches by 5 in the upper right corner.

the computer is a HP m75 an the moniter is a sony 220GS

wyrdoak
Level 6
Level 6

Re: moniter strangeness.

Post by wyrdoak »

Have you tried in you Monitor Preferences to uncheck the box "same image on both monitors" this is the only way I could set the large monitor and the netbook resolutions independently.

I also turned off the netbook monitor when using the larger screen.

If I unplug it from the monitor, it defaults back to the netbook without having to change any settings.

Hope this helps.

LOL , I thought it was weird also when it happen to me the first time.
-Dell Mini Inspiron 910 Netbook-Atom CPU-N270-1.60ghz; 16gbs mini ePCI PATA SSD
15GB RAM- 1gbs-(LinixMint-19.3: LMDE)

cudayne
Level 2
Level 2

Re: moniter strangeness.

Post by cudayne »

Hi i had a tragedy in family so haven't had time too look back at this computer its a HP m275 every version of mint has the same problem as listed in first post.

The laptops screen is broke so its attached too the listed external monitor.

The problem is every version of mint will only display the mint entire desktop on the upper left 1/4 of the screen.

In the monitor preferences there is only one monitor listed an its says unknown monitor.

Now when you first start a live dvd the selection screen when the dvd first starts is full screen. Its only after it loads that this behavior starts. Now kubuntu runs right an lubuntu an xubuntu will all run in full screen on the external monitor but i would prefer too run mint. Any ideas would be helpful on this.

Return to “Installation & Boot”