No init found. Try passing init=bootarg. SOLVED!!!!!!!!!!!!

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
TangoVirtud
Level 1
Level 1

No init found. Try passing init=bootarg. SOLVED!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by TangoVirtud » Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:01 am

Hi!!!

Well well well. This is the last geeky problem I happen to come accross
I was happily surfing the web, but then I got so bored of doing a kind of web zapping while the daylight wentaway outside, that I opened "truco" at taringa.net website.
Truco is a flashgame page, and everything was going allright, but then, I lost my 7th consecutive game and the page kind of crashed, when it says "You lost again, you're an asshole", and beeped, and beeped, and beeped, and not even the mousepad would work. So, I did what a man must do in these situations, of course: I unplugged the laptop from the source power, took off its battery and then I tried to turn it on.
:lol: :arrow: :| :arrow: :cry:
The Mint 10 LXDE wouldn't load, and would stop at the grey screen with the LM10 logo after choosing between the standard boot, the recovery mode or the mem tests.
I tried to boot from my pendrive and reinstall grub2, but synaptic starts doing the job, but after some seconds it says

Unpacking Grub2 (from bla bla)

And stays there forever.

Please, help me!!!

Some other details.
My computer is an AOA110 aw 8Gb HD, 512Mb ram. It-s no marvel, but I love it quite enough. I've tried some other things to reinstall grub2. If you ckeck out my profile, I had once a similar problem that was solved with synaptic, now I can't.
I cannot mount sda1, where linux is installed. Please, check the steps I did on terminal:

I tried to mount sda1, and the usual response came.

sudo mount /dev/sda1
mount: can't find /dev/sda1 in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab

and of course,

sudo grub-install --root-directory=/mnt /dev/sda1
grub-probe: error: cannot find a device for /boot (is /dev mounted?).
/usr/sbin/grub-probe: error: cannot find a device for /mnt/boot/grub (is /dev mounted?).

Ok. PLease, help me.
Although you might think that I might appear quite resourceful, i prefer to regard myself as useless. Please, don't defend me. I'll be most grateful if you can help me. Thanks!!!

Sergio
Last edited by TangoVirtud on Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

TangoVirtud
Level 1
Level 1

Re: No init found. Try passing init=bootarg.

Post by TangoVirtud » Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:02 pm

I'll try to boot ubuntu 9. I'll tell you how it goes.

Ok, so I tried and Ubuntu wouln't start, not even if I chose Try Ubuntu without installing. So I pressed ESC and a black screen would show a small message that said Error, cannot find dev/sda1

I made a Supergrub Disk pendrive, and when I choose GRUB => MBR & !Linux! AUTO, it answers the following:

Booting 'GRUB => MBR & LINUX
findf /grub/stage1 /boot/grub/stage1
Error 15: File not found

=(

Any ideas?
Thank you!

TangoVirtud
Level 1
Level 1

Re: No init found. Try passing init=bootarg.

Post by TangoVirtud » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:01 am

So this is my situation:

I have a laptop, working only with Linux Mint proof mode from a pendrive.
Can-t install anything for the dev/sda1 is not recognized.

I don-t know. Maybe someone can tell me if I can install linuxMint10 on the pendrive and format sda1.
Is that possible?

:(

hello!!!

:D

Please, help me.
Thanks in advance

TangoVirtud
Level 1
Level 1

Re: No init found. Try passing init=bootarg. SOLVED!!!!!

Post by TangoVirtud » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:34 am

Ok. Once again I solved it without any external help. I won't fit my house anymore. I need a bigger one.
So, I went to my neighbour's computer, formatted once again my pendrive so as to make a new booting drive.
Opened Netbooting and browsed down to Linux mint and by default it took 10 live.

Let me remind you that my mint is LXDE, so it was another version. I went back to my laptop, booted from pendrive, and opened a terminal. Sth was different. It was downloading, but still, it would freeze for an ohur and a half, trying to install Grub. So....
I downloaded and installed apt-fast

sudo apt-get install axel
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:tldm217/tahutek.net
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install apt-fast

Once I'd done this, I tried once more to install grub

Sudo apt-fast install grub

and did it really fast.
Then, I went after grub2

Sudo apt-fast install grub2

it said sth like dev was not mounted and the like, but after some seconds, it said it was done, and told me to recheck if everything was fine.
Went to menu and pressed reboot, told me to remove the pendrive, and I did.

When it started, it booted asking me which option i wanted, took the first one, and went on.
Now, it said that dev looked as if it was not mounted, and gave me the option to press F in order to try to solve the error, I did, it rebooted by itself, and VOILA!

Linux Mint LXDE charged on again in my laptop.

It still gives me some error on the black screen while loading. It states sth like

Error (process 309) glibwarning bla bla. I don't know what that is. But, it works well.
I'll try to make a brand new installation after saving some info from my documents.

Thanks again, at least for following, and I hope you'll be able to solve sth with this here post of mine if the same happens to you.

:mrgreen:

Return to “Installation & Boot”