Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
sly
Level 1
Level 1

Live DVD Version 11

Post by sly »

I posted this in another thread but then see that thread is to busy with someone else so I thought it would be better to start a new thread, sorry. I had no problem running the live dvd for version 10 but the version 11 starts out with the black screen and white writing and then the screen goes black, not sure what you call that. I have a HP G72 laptop with Intel HD Graphics. So I updated my bios as suggested here from F37 to F46 and it made no difference. I thought about updating the Intel HD Graphics driver but then thought that would not help since at the point my problem happens the driver is coming from the live cd. Is this correct or am I thinking wrong? And the problem could be that version 11 is not compatable with the HD Graphics. I say this because of the way the screen goes black but the dvd continues to run like it is loading and just the screen can not display. So I guess just stay with Version 10 or try to update the Intel HD Graphics, tell me? I am not installing but only running linux as a live dvd. Thanks

tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Live DVD Version 11

Post by tdockery97 »

Mint 11 has Plymouth set to show a blank screen while it boots. This is normal. Try it again and give it a couple minutes to finish booting.
Mint Cinnamon 19.3

sly
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sly »

Tried from a DVD and flash drive that worked on another computer but not on the G72. How about my idea of updating the driver for the Intel HD Graphics, would that help or is it out of the picture when linux is loading?

AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

I think it's not your graphics causing problems. Maybe you just need to clean the lens of the DVD drive. You can buy cleaning disks for that in many computer stores (trust me, it can do wonders).
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.

sly
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sly »

Have a hard time believing I need to clean my dvd player. Version 10 dvd works fine and the version 11 dvd works in other computer. So only the one dvd is not working the new version 11. I see in this forum the screen going black said a lot. How about it just does not work the new version.

nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Post by nunol »

Have you tried some boot options? "vga=xxx", "xforcevesa", "i915.modeset=0", etc.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootO ... %20Options

With the "text" boot option you should go to a console and from there you can try other drivers or something else.

Something is wrong, probably not the DVD (because it works with other disks). If it's a kernel bug or something you need to wait for a respin, the KDE version or LMDE.

sly
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sly »

Thanks nunol, I do not have time today but this coming week I will look into the boot options. Looks like some good possibilities. Thanks again. I will let you know if it works but will be a few days.

sly
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sly »

Had a few minutes so looked at the page nunol gave me. When the dvd starts and I hit esc key I get an aborted with a boot: and a cursor showing. I am not getting to where I have the option for the F keys. I know I must be doing something wrong, what? I tried waiting till the Linux splash screen and hit esc then the compatability mode but that only got me the black screen.

nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Post by nunol »

In live mode you will get to a count down. At that countdown press a key to show the Grub2 start menu where you can chose the compatibility mode.

Select the normal start (but don't press enter), press the "Tab" key to edit the entry, now write the boot option there then press enter to boot with that boot option for this time only.

sly
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sly »

Thanks for the good instructions. Tried vga=771, xforcevesa, i915.modeset=0, all just got me a black screen. Did try version 10 of LMDE and KDE, LMDE did load but firefox showed video with no sound, on KDE the same but tried the konqueror browser and it worked with sound. While loading the KDE a popup said something about could not load graphics and would load low something graphics, which leads me to say my problem does have something to do with the Intel HD Graphics display adapter that is on this laptop. It had a problem with flash player ( for windows ) that was fixed with the next version of flash player. I also tried to update the driver for display adapter but it would not work, this is for windows, called Hp and they said they were having problems with that and to stay with the driver I had. So am I back to waiting on the next version of Mint or is there another of the boot options I should try?

nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Post by nunol »

On Mint 11 (or 10) boot with the "text" boot option. Does it go to a text terminal?

sly
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sly »

when I follow your instructions
In live mode you will get to a count down. At that countdown press a key to show the Grub2 start menu where you can chose the compatibility mode.

Select the normal start (but don't press enter), press the "Tab" key to edit the entry, now write the boot option there then press enter to boot with that boot option for this time only.

It displays a line of text that I can add those options to, the display shows the Grub2 screen, I would have called the Mint splash screen, with this text half way down. Do not understand what you mean by terminal?

RobNJ
Level 1
Level 1

Live DVD Version 11

Post by RobNJ »

One suggestion.. Try burning a new DVD, it's helped me out before.

Your Ad Here! Dial 1-800-Tapatalk

nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Post by nunol »

You need to use the text boot option and press enter to get to the console/Terminal, see the pictures:
Attachments
"text" boot option
"text" boot option
text boot option.jpg (46.59 KiB) Viewed 1921 times
Terminal or Console
Terminal or Console
Terminal.jpg (50.27 KiB) Viewed 1921 times

nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Post by nunol »

RobNJ wrote:One suggestion.. Try burning a new DVD, it's helped me out before.

Your Ad Here! Dial 1-800-Tapatalk
He tried several distros so it's not a DVD problem but could be a DVD drive problem or a kernel bug / Intel driver bug with both Mint 10 and 11.

sly
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sly »

Ok I get to the first picture you show although it looks a little different maybe because I am using the 64 bit. But I do not understand how to get to the second picture?

sly
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sly »

Also I tried burning the disc using the windows 7 burning instead of the third party burner Cyberlink, that did not help

nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Post by nunol »

sly wrote:Ok I get to the first picture you show although it looks a little different maybe because I am using the 64 bit. But I do not understand how to get to the second picture?
Note that I already wrote "text" at the end of the line. To get to the second picture all I did was press the "enter key" and wait a few minutes.

sly
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sly »

Ok added text and hit enter but only got to a black screen. Thank You for being nice about this. Will be taking wife to doctor and leaving town to go to future retirement home in a hour and will not be back on computer till later today or tomorrow. But will keep trying for a little longer.

nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Post by nunol »

I am afraid that for some reason your computer doesn't want to boot with the Mint 11 DVD... I don't know how to solve that problem as I don't think HP support linux on that laptop.

You can always try other Linux Mint editions. LMDE, Mint 10 KDE, Mint 9 LTS and try to solve their problems or wait for the next Mint 11 releases and LMDE respins.

Return to “Installation & Boot”