Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
sly
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Live DVD Version 11

Post by sly »

I agree and believe it has to do with the Intel HD Graphics display adapter. I have two other computers that Mint 11 works fine on, a old vista Toshiba laptop that was cheap $299, and a nice HP desktop windows 7 64 bit. But this medium priced HP Laptop works well with windows but is not doing well with Mint. Thanks for your time and help. It has not been a total loss as I have learned a lot from this experience. Thank you

nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Post by nunol »

No problem, hope it works with other Mint releases.

AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

HP have tested Linux on all laptops manufactured from the 2nd half of 2010 on. So it should work (but a BIOS upgrade from Windows may be necessary on some models). And Toshiba, as far as I know, don't test Linux that much as HP, Dell and Lenovo do.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.

nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Post by nunol »

The OP already has the BIOS upgraded. I have actually seen some BIOS upgrades break Linux compatibility so maybe one of the old BIOS for this laptop actually works with Mint 11.

Toshiba plus AMD/ATI graphics is sometimes a big problem...

Yes, Mint should work but it doesn't. If the OP takes the laptop to HP will they help him install a linux distro?

AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

If they will help him at all, I am afraid it's going to be Ubuntu Natty if he lets them install Linux.
I have never heard of a computer manufacturer's tech support installing Linux, but maybe they'll do if it is a business laptop.

sly: Did you already clean the lens of your CD drive? For me, this made installing Mint possible on an HP laptop.

sly
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sly »

No I have not yet cleaned my cd drive maybe because I think it has something to do with the display adapter, it has Intel HD Graphics. It looks like when it is trying to load all of a sudden the screen goes black, a conflict with the display. Last month flash player came out with a version and their forum was busy with people like me with Intel HD Graphic and flash player would not work. It would put the flash item in the upper left corner of the screen and flash on and off and you could not read it. A week later they came out with another version and it was fixed. Yesterday I tried to update the driver for Intel HD Graphic and half way it gave a error that this was the wrong driver and to contact HP. I did and they told me they were having trouble with this driver and since the computer was working to leave it alone. I am writing all this to try to point out that the Intel HD Graphic display adapter seems to be a problem child. Now Mint 11 won't work, just one more item to the list. Also Mint 10 works perfect, so if my cd drive was dirty why does it work so great, along with any other cd I make like one with photos. I say if you are going to buy a laptop from HP make sure it does not have this display adapter. Thanks for trying to help to everyone. Also as said I did update the bios with no problem but that also did not help Mint 11. Also Also I tried to run OpenSuse anothe Linux live cd and it would not work. But let me say I have a HP desktop that works great with Mint 11 but it has a nvidia graphic so I do think HP products are good just not this Intel HD Graphic.

AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

The screen always goes black when the Mint 11 DVD is loading. And after a couple of minutes when the DVD is loaded, the display turns back on. This does not only happen on Intel, but also on NVidia. (Note: if it takes more than 2 minutes till Mint is loaded, you should clean the DVD drive first)

sly
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sly »

Ok if you can explain this I will drive the 12 miles into town any buy a cd cleaning kit, I am at my future retirement house, I am usually at a rent house in another town. I have a HP desktop computer that works great with Mint 11 as I have said. I used it to make a bootable usb flash drive, then tested on the desktop and it worked great. I then tried it on the troubled HP laptop and it does NOT WORK just like the dvd does NOT WORK on the troubled HP laptop. Also on the trouble HP laptop, Mint 10 DVD works great as I have said, I made a usb flash drive with MInt 10 on it and it works great on the troubled HP laptop. I am really confused if after all this how you could come up with the logic I need to clean my cd drive, if you can then I will clean my cd drive other wise I am not going to respond to cleaning my cd drive in the future. HP Desktop = Mint 11 DVD and flash drive work. HP Laptop = Mint 10 DVD and flash drive work. Mint 11 USB FLASH DRIVE MADE WITH HP DESKTOP DOES NOT WORK WITH HP LAPTOP. I hope this explains the logic I am using on why I think cleaning is a waste of time. But if you have better logic please tell me.

AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Are you sure that the screen does not turn back on after being black for some 2 minutes?
Did you already try 'compatibility mode'?

A black screen while booting (instead of Mint logo and 5 dots) is normal behaviour in Mint 11.

sly
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sly »

Yes waited more than 2 minutes, and that was after hearing the cd drive stop which I could hearing running while the screen was black with mint loading. So yes the screen goes black and mint is loading, cd drive stop, and after more than 2 minutes NOTHING BUT BLACK SCREEN. Yes tried Comptability Mode and it did not work.

AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

If the CD just stops spinning, the most common cause is that some bit or byte got corrupted while downloading or burning.

Did you check the md5sum of the ISO file? If it is not OK, then please download Mint again. If it is correct, then please re-burn it using the lowest possible speed.
By the way, did you already try the disc integrity check?

sly
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sly »

Ok, finally got around to trying Mint 10 KDE. It loads but a pop up says something like graphics will load in low graphic mode unless you want to config it, I just let it go with low. Everythning looks good but Firefox will not play video, so I tried Konqueror and it works fine on video. So in other words this will work for me as is, but I have a question. On the site it looks like this came out Feb 2011, is this correct or am I looking at something wrong. Is this the latest version? I guess what I am wondering is since MInt 10 to Mint 11 did not work will Mint 10 KDE to Mint 11 KDE have a problem or is the Mint 10 KDE the latest that came out this year?

AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Mint 10 KDE is the latest KDE version indeed; 11 KDE is still in development. The main edition, Gnome, is always the first to be released.

I got exactly the same problem, on Intel graphics, because the CD drive was not clean. Cleaning the lens a couple of times (with a special cleaning disc) helped, and now I can just run Mint without problems.

sly
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sly »

OK just to be sure bought a cd/dvd player cleaner from Best Buy and cleaned the player. Burned new DVDs with new pack of DVDs. Mint 10 works great. Mint11 just gets me to a black screen. So now can we drop the cleaning idea and just give up on this computer working with Mint 11. Unless someone has something else to try. Thanks for all the efforts but let us face it, some computer do not work with some version of Mint, it is ok, I will get over it. I can live with using Mint KDE on this computer.

AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Mint 11 does not have a boot screen. That's why the screen turns black. It just continues loading.

If the disc stops spinning at some time, and it doesn't with Mint 10, then there's indeed something wrong.

SimonTS
Level 6
Level 6

Post by SimonTS »

Hi Sly,

A bit of a late-comer to this party as I've not been on the boards for a while. If you are happy to stick with Mint 10 KDE then great. If you want to try and get the Mint 11 Live DVD working at some point, even if it is just for the thrill of proving it will work, then boot up the LiveDVD. When you get the first GRUB menu, press <TAB> or <E> - I can never remember which one it is to "edit the command-line". Replace the words 'quiet' and 'splash' with 'noquiet' and 'nosplash', then add the word 'nomodeset' before the '--' on that line. Press <ENTER> to boot with these settings and see if it works. If it still freezes then you should at least have the boot messages on the screen so either make a note of where it freezes or, better, take a photo with a digital camera of the screen with the messages on and post it here for us to have a look at. Although there are problems with Mint 11, mostly caused by the upstream Ubuntu 11.04, it should at least be possible to install it onto your machine.

AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

You can just use the 'compatibility mode' instead of Simon's guide. That's much easier for Linux newbies and it works on almost every computer.

SimonTS
Level 6
Level 6

Post by SimonTS »

@AlbertP - As posted in the other forum, I apologise to you. For all the times I've installed Mint and advised others on getting round the old graphics issues on LiveCDs, I never actually realised that 'Compatability' mode used nomodeset by default.
Just goes to show, you can always learn things...

EDIT:-

I've just checked my Mint 10 Live image and it doesn't use 'nomodeset'. It does use 'xforcevesa', but from what I remember with the "Black Screen of Death" on Mint 10 that didn't actually solve many problems. I am going to burn myself a Live image of Mint 11 to confirm on that as well.

EDIT 2:-
OK, Mint 11 is exactly the same - selecting 'Compatibility' mode enables 'xforcevesa', not 'nomodeset'. I have also found an explanation of them here;-
http://ubuntu-tutorials.com/2010/05/06/ ... orkaround/

To quote;-
The suggested options that I have found are hardware specific. Here is a list:
* Older Intel video card: i915.modeset=1 or i915.modeset=0
* nVidia: nomodeset
* Generic: xforcevesa

For this thread, it would suggest that it "should" make no difference, but for the other thread 'nomodeset' is probably required for the NVidia graphics card.

I've learnt something today anyway, so thanks for challenging me to back-up my words :oops:

_HG_
Level 1
Level 1

Live DVD Version 11

Post by _HG_ »

My Live DVD (64-bit) starts and works fine, but since I am Swedish I change to Swedish keyboard layout and to Swedish language.
I have to log out for the changes to take effect, but when logging in again I have to type in a user name and a password.
What user name and what password ???

/ _HG_

SimonTS
Level 6
Level 6

Post by SimonTS »

Please, rather than hijacking another thread with your own question - which is considered bad netiquette, open your own thread and ask for assistance. You are far more likely to get a reply that way. AFAIK, however, the default logon should be 'mint' and a blank password field, but if that doesn't work then please open your own thread.

Return to “Installation & Boot”