SOLVED (Mint 11, 64bit - often crashes)

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
birkopf
Level 2
Level 2

SOLVED (Mint 11, 64bit - often crashes)

Post by birkopf »

I have Acer Aspire 7520 and 64bit Linux Mint 11 installed on it. Even on Mint Julia I was experiencing system crashes. Now it's really annoying. 1 out of 2-3 times system doesn't start. Just hangs before login page. Restart helps and always next start goes successfully. Thats problem #1. Next problem is total system crash during work. I can be trying to log in to some web-service and it completely logs me out without warning, or restarts system or simply freezes system.

- Could anyone help please ?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Mint 11, 64bit - often crashes

Post by nunol »

Does that happen with the Live CD/DVD also?

Can you post the output of the following command:

Code: Select all

inxi -F
exaeresis

Post by exaeresis »

As I said yesterday it is quite hard to understand (for us) what exactly causes the crash. The strange thing is that this is at least the second thread in two days saying that the system crashes. So I suggest you the same thing, the next time your system crashes, login and open the terminal. Run the command:

cat ~/.xsession-errors
and

dmesg 
and write here what it gives as output. Moreover, any information you can give is useful, like: when it started? What you did before? (updated your system? Installed any program? etc). In the other post the user said that it happens frequently when using flash, is it the same for you?
birkopf
Level 2
Level 2

Post by birkopf »

Thanks guys. I tried all Sunday to fix. So far so good.

inxi returned:
System: Host studio Kernel 2.6.38-8-generic x86_64 (64 bit) Distro Linux Mint 11 Katya
CPU: Dual core AMD Athlon 64 X2 TK-55 (-MCP-) cache 512 KB flags (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 svm) bmips 3200.48
Clock Speeds: (1) 800.00 MHz (2) 800.00 MHz
Graphics: Card nVidia C67 [GeForce 7000M / nForce 610M] X.Org 1.10.1 Res: 1440x900@50.0hz
GLX Renderer GeForce 7000M / nForce 610M/PCI/SSE2 GLX Version 2.1.2 NVIDIA 173.14.30 Direct Rendering Yes
Audio: Card nVidia MCP67 High Definition Audio driver HDA Intel BusID: 00:07.0
Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Version 1.0.23
Network: Card-1 nVidia MCP67 Ethernet driver forcedeth at port 30f8 BusID: 00:0a.0
Card-2 Atheros AR5001 Wireless Network Adapter driver ath5k BusID: 05:00.0
Disks: HDD Total Size: 80.0GB (72.1% used) 1: /dev/sda WDC_WD800BEVS 80.0GB
Partition: ID:/ size: 7.6G used: 3.7G (52%) fs: ext4 ID:/home size: 61G used: 51G (87%) fs: ext4
ID:swap-1 size: 0.18GB used: 0.00GB (1%) fs: swap
Sensors: System Temperatures: cpu: 50.0C mobo: N/A gpu: 0.0:62C
Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info: Processes 175 Uptime 2:35 Memory 1557.1/3709.9MB Runlevel 2 Client Shell inxi 1.4.23
During startup system was usually hanging on "checking battery" command. I removed battery, but didn't helped.

For the moment - I removed compiz and run all on metacity with compositing enabled. Solved few problems.
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Post by nunol »

I find nothing wrong with the output of the "inxi -F" command. Here are a few options:
- try to install the 2.6.39.1 kernel, you can then select the new (or old) kernel at boot time in the Grub menu.
- try using the system without that NVIDIA driver.
- CPU and VGA temps look ok but keep an eye on them.
birkopf
Level 2
Level 2

Post by birkopf »

Without nvidia "additional-driver" it wouldn't go.
Conky already installed to keep an eye on temperatures.

I'm monitoring situation and will let You know is something changes.
birkopf
Level 2
Level 2

Post by birkopf »

It seems that I found a solution.

My strong advice for anyone who’s system is crashing is to reinstall it this way:
1) backup your data and if you don't have it yet - split system and /home partitions
1a) empty your rubbish bin
2) stick in Katya Cd and fire up live version
3) use gparted, format properly your system partition (preferable ext4)
4) in nautilus folder free click=mount your home partition, close nautilus
5) press alt+f2 and use command: gksu nautilus
6) go to home folder press crtl+h
7) delete all hidden files, leave just your personal folders
7a) make sure to use option "delete" instead of "move to rubbish bin"
7b) do not do anything else as a root on your home partition except of deleting files
8) when you finish close home folder with nautilus and re-open nautilus, this time normally
9) check if all fine, make last backup, un-mount home partition from folder tree on left
10) this is not necessary but I prefer to disconnect internet before/during instillation
11) start installation
12) in disk partitioning section, mount system on "/", choose format and ext4 file system
13) for home mount under /home, choose ext4 file system, DO NOT CHOOSE FORMAT
14) obviously for swap use swap type and most as well
15) after installation, reconnect internet
16) first remove all software you wont be using making sure you're not breaking packages
17) do the drivers and rest personalisation
18) in terminal run sudo apt-get update and now update your system

From now on everything should be fine. Please excuse length. I wanted to write everything in step to avoid confusion.

Generally when installed from scratch without internet and once system personalised Katya runs rock solid.

Return to “Installation & Boot”