Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
SimonTS
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Re-install question with proper partitioning

Post by SimonTS »

That's fine and is totally your choice, however your option #1 involved re-writing the ~/gtk-bookmarks file, so I assumed you were comfortable in using a text editor to add a line to a file. You also asked "Could you post the command for the partition to auto-mount at startup" - which would indicate a willingness to play about with the 'guts' of Linux a little bit.

I have never used Ubuntu-Tweak as I prefer to do things via the command line - but maybe someone else here will be able to help with that?

Inoki
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Inoki »

SimonTS wrote:That's fine and is totally your choice, however your option #1 involved re-writing the ~/gtk-bookmarks file, so I assumed you were comfortable in using a text editor to add a line to a file. You also asked "Could you post the command for the partition to auto-mount at startup" - which would indicate a willingness to play about with the 'guts' of Linux a little bit.

I have never used Ubuntu-Tweak as I prefer to do things via the command line - but maybe someone else here will be able to help with that?
When you mentioned fstab I recall I tried to do this. I first had to find out which partition it is using a few commands but via your method it never worked out for me, I did prolly something wrong.

PYSDM makes editing fstab so much easier, check it out here. No need for any commands. :)

SimonTS
Level 6
Level 6

Post by SimonTS »

Thanks. I'll have a play around with that later. I am quite happy editing my fstab, but if that package makes it easier to guide other people through things then it has to be for the good.

Quickly trying to review the previous posts, I don't know if you still have any problems you need sorting out? One thing I did notice is you talking about using other DEs. If you decided to install another DE, e.g. KDE, onto your existing system then it would just pull in all the packages and dependencies that it needs and utilise your existing partition setup.
The main reason I don't actually install /home onto a separate partition, but instead set up symlinks to all my folders manually, is because I use multiple distros, but the all need to access the same Documents, Pictures, Music etc as well as sharing the .thunderbird folder for mail. If I simply set up a partition for /home and told them all to use it then there would be serious conflicts and issues with that. Also, if I need to re-install my system I don't want to keep the existing desktop and customisation settings - just the important data. It only takes me a matter of an hour or so to fully customise my system post-install, so I am happier doing that fresh each time and knowing there is nothing left-over from before that may cause problems.

As they say - "Horses for courses..."

Inoki
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Inoki »

SimonTS wrote:Thanks. I'll have a play around with that later. I am quite happy editing my fstab, but if that package makes it easier to guide other people through things then it has to be for the good.

Quickly trying to review the previous posts, I don't know if you still have any problems you need sorting out? One thing I did notice is you talking about using other DEs. If you decided to install another DE, e.g. KDE, onto your existing system then it would just pull in all the packages and dependencies that it needs and utilise your existing partition setup.
The main reason I don't actually install /home onto a separate partition, but instead set up symlinks to all my folders manually, is because I use multiple distros, but the all need to access the same Documents, Pictures, Music etc as well as sharing the .thunderbird folder for mail. If I simply set up a partition for /home and told them all to use it then there would be serious conflicts and issues with that. Also, if I need to re-install my system I don't want to keep the existing desktop and customisation settings - just the important data. It only takes me a matter of an hour or so to fully customise my system post-install, so I am happier doing that fresh each time and knowing there is nothing left-over from before that may cause problems.

As they say - "Horses for courses..."
Thanks for all the advice :) I was mainly thinking of switching to XFCE, because I use Virtualbox and XP for some of my work, but I don't want LXDE, since I want to retain some of desktop's prettiness :) I want a faster workflow but if I'd make the transition I want it to be as painless as possible.

I'm not sure I fully understood the way you do it setting up symlinks. Is it the way you have:

- one partition that holds all your documents, that is NTFS for all OS support and then you just install multiple distros around that partition on several free partitions you create, configure fstab for the current OS to mount the - let's call it Documents - partition and assign the folder structure to that mounted partition.

Is this the way you did it?

Speaking of lightness, I think I need to dump my Chromium browser, as it eats more than 700 MB of my RAM. >.>

SimonTS
Level 6
Level 6

Post by SimonTS »

Yes. My partition table looks something like this;-

sda1 Windows 7 Loader NTFS
sda2 Windows 7 System NTFS
sda3 Extended Partition
sda6 Mint 10 Gnome EXT4
sda7 Mint 11 Gnome EXT4
sda8 Fedora 15 EXT4
sda9 openSUSE 11.4 EXT4
sda10 Bodhi v1.1 EXT4
sda11 LiquidLemur b2 EXT4
blank space
sda5 swap swap
sda4 Documents NTFS

All of my distros link to the folders on sda4 via symlinks and I can access these files from Windows if I need to.

As I said, each of the distros is simply installed as a single / partition and a swap. I don't install GRUB either as my main distro (the Mint 10) handles all of that by updating after I install a new system for testing. This way I keep full control over it all.

Return to “Installation & Boot”