Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Bude
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] Windows Vista & Linux Mint 11 - newbie here

Post by Bude »

So i was recently pushed into mint and i am honestly impressed. So basicly what i want is a dual boot system of Vista and Mint.
I will whipe my whole HDD (after a backup ofcourse) - 2 times 500GB. How do I best partitioning my drives ?
I already done this, but just very easy windows partitioning.
Could someone give me kind of a template ? (The only thing i know is, that i need 1.5x my RAM as swap)
Last edited by Bude on Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AdamS
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Windows Vista & Linux Mint 11 - newbie here

Post by AdamS »

In front of me is a HP pavilion that just walked in the door. Client has 2 fake anti viruses infecting it.

The plan

recover vista to factory - resize the drive to give say 60 GB to vista and the rest to mint 11.

Mint 11 then will be installed 2 GB swap and the rest to root / . using the custom Install option.

Done this hundreds of times, but I thought the windows vista to Linux mint 11 topic fit to the T lol.

Ironic lol.

Any other questions just ask.

if ya have a windows license, ideal solution is a dual boot best of both worlds.
Last edited by AdamS on Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Proud owner of a 99.5 % Linux based Pc - laptop - netbook - tablet - networking business.
Do your self a favor, stop paying for imperfection. Once you know Linux, you never go back.

Habitual
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Habitual »

Hey Hinckley Utah

How'd you "rate" a name change?

Just curious.

AdamS
Level 5
Level 5

Post by AdamS »

Habitual wrote:Hey Hinckley Utah

How'd you "rate" a name change?

Just curious.
name change of hinckley ?

it is a 140 year old town lol
Proud owner of a 99.5 % Linux based Pc - laptop - netbook - tablet - networking business.
Do your self a favor, stop paying for imperfection. Once you know Linux, you never go back.

Bude
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Bude »

20 GB - Mint
60 GB - Vista
4 GB - Swap

Can i partitioning the rest like Games , Documents , etc. and use these by both OSs ?
Did I forget smth ?

Bude
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Bude »

*silent bump*
seems like this would not work.

I also know that i need a swap a root and a home. Do these need to bee on one harddisk ?
Does this work ?

HDD1
60 GB Vista
440 GB Home

HDD2
20 GB root
4 GB swap
474 GB other windows shit

SimonTS
Level 6
Level 6

Post by SimonTS »

It is entirely up to you how you do it but, as no-one else has replied, I'll let you know how I would use that setup.

sda
sda1 Primary 100GB NTFS Windows -- This will be marked as 'bootable' for Windows benefit
sda2 Extended 100GB
sda3 Logical 20GB EXT4 Mint11 -- Mount this as '/' for your root filesystem
sda4 Logical 10GB swap swap -- 10GB is probably overkill, but I don't know how much RAM you have and this would allow you to go to 8GB and still hibernate if you wanted to. I use 10GB as it's a nice round number :?
sda5 Primary 300GB NTFS Documents -- Create this to take up the rest of the space. You can configure Windows to run your 'My Documents' from this partition (Drive D:) and set up symbolic links from Mint to the correct places easily.
I know that there is spare space on sda, but it means that if you wanted to install more Linux systems for testing etc then you can. You only really need a maximum of 20GB for Linux if you are running all your saved files on a different partition but I do not tend to mount my /home separately, preferring to symlink instead. If you know that you will never use another Linux distro then make the 'Documents' partition bigger, but I would certainly leave 1 20GB hole there - just in case.

sdb
sdb1 Primary 500GB NTFS Games -- Windows will call this Drive E: - you can install all your Windows games etc here without any problem.

As I said - that's just how I would do it.

Bude
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Bude »

thx i got the whole thing

I might tweak it here and there (according to your tips), but this little overview really helped me.

AdamS
Level 5
Level 5

Post by AdamS »

sorry, should have typed back.

Job turned out GREAT and as planed on my side. Dual boot win vista with Linux mint. (Vista was a license already installed on the PC) Retrofit to Linux mint 11 lol. Funny how Linux always runs better then its intended windows counterpart. Client I hear is raving happy.

Gob done - how it was done.

320 GB HDD on a HP pavilion 4.5 years old

60 GB windows vista

25 GB shared docs windows vista to Linux NTFS

2 GB swap

the rest to root / ext4 primary/first

Is there anything else you need help with ?

Just let me know.

Bude
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Bude »

What do i need this 100 GB Extended for ?

SimonTS
Level 6
Level 6

Post by SimonTS »

You can have a maximum of 4 Primary partitions on a drive - or you can have 3 Primary and 1 Extended partition (with many Logical partitions 'inside' it).
You don't 'need' the extended if you are happy that you will never want any other operating systems on the drive.
You could just have the 4 Primary partitions - Windows, Mint, swap and Documents - if you are certain that is all you will ever need.
As I said at the beginning - this is "how I would use that setup"

AdamS
Level 5
Level 5

Post by AdamS »

Bude wrote:What do i need this 100 GB Extended for ?
you don't, I don't understand his setup, far more complicated then I like it.

Each to there own.

I just like simplified and effective.

Ideal way to prepare for planed addition OS space is to leave free untouched space.

1. windows
2. shared docs from windows to linux
3. swap 1 to 2 GB
4. ext4 root / self expanding and file system setup via the installer.
5. leave free space if you wish to add another Linux distro. Any windows installs need done before Linux install.

Easy as that.

Note : only 1 swap area for all installed distro's
Last edited by AdamS on Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Bude
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Bude »

Regarding E: can i acess it with linux and install games there , which i will use with wine ?

SimonTS
Level 6
Level 6

Post by SimonTS »

@AdamS;-

You may not understand my setup - I repeat "This is how I would do it". As for your 'simple' solution - it is near enough identical to mine, but if he doesn't create an Extended partition NOW then he will never be able to add another distro in that unused space as he won't be able to create the partition required and you can't change a Primary partition to an Extended one later one.
As for the swap - you are quite right. You should only ever have one swap partition on your system and share it with all your distros.
Your clients may well like to just come into the shop, pay for a service and get a system with Windows and Linux - that is fantastic. The simple fact of the matter is that if somebody is on this forum looking for advice then they are doing it themselves. This means that they will, almost certainly, want to upgrade it themselves in the future, possibly even try out another distro (yes, there are others than just Mint), and they won't want to have to delete their existing system just to do that.

AdamS
Level 5
Level 5

Post by AdamS »

Don't get me wrong chief. I didn't mean to be rued or condescending.

Like I said each to there own,

I just think it is far to complicated for a rookie is all.

Also I get why you do it this way bud, I just don't get why it should be needed for him is all.

AdamS
Level 5
Level 5

Post by AdamS »

AdamS wrote:Don't get me wrong chief. I didn't mean to be rued or condescending.

Like I said each to there own,

I just think it is far to complicated for a rookie is all.

Also I get why you do it this way bud, I just don't get why it should be needed for him is all.
Yes he can add a new OS to the free space, I have done it THOUSANDS of times on thousands of systems.

Just go in and set the free space as a ext4/primary/first/root/ for the new os and it will use the swap space already there.

works every time.

Also, backing up the home folder and NOT just reusing it is advisable.

I have seen it hundreds of times. Guy fracks up home folder and configs, reinstalls and all the old configs take hold and new install is again worthless.

no no no

you back up the home folder data and configs, fresh install and restore with virgin configs and data.

Done right.
Last edited by AdamS on Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SimonTS
Level 6
Level 6

Post by SimonTS »

Sorry - but I have to ask, how have you managed to add another Primary partition when you already have 4 (Windows, Shared, Linux, swap)?

And it may be slightly more complicated for a 'newbie', 'rookie' or whatever, but I learnt the hard way about the number of partitions I could have on a drive and ended up wasting hours having to back-up, rebuild and restore as a result. A little extra work now could make him a lot happier later.
Last edited by SimonTS on Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bude
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Bude »

Why am I completly ignored ?
Bude wrote:Regarding E: can i acess it with linux and install games there , which i will use with wine ?

AdamS
Level 5
Level 5

Post by AdamS »

SimonTS wrote:Sorry - but I have to ask, how have you managed to add another Primary partition when you already have 4 (Windows, Shared, Linux, swap)?
Shared docs and swap don't need to be primaries.

Only OS needs to be on primary

Shared docs and swap work fine as logical

SimonTS
Level 6
Level 6

Post by SimonTS »

:oops: My bad - apologies to you Bude.
You can use Drive E: for all your Windows games no problem.
As for WINE... from what I remember, wine automatically installs all of its games, applications etc in a 'hidden' folder called '.wine' in your home folder. You can very easily set up a symbolic link so that this folder (.wine) resides on the 'E: Drive' / 'sdb'.

Return to “Installation & Boot”