Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Electroman6913
Level 2
Level 2

need help with partitions

Post by Electroman6913 »

I am trying to install Mint on a HP G series laptop. I wan't to duel boot with the existing Windows 7 but Windows is already using four primary partitions. is their a way I can clone one of the partitions and move it to a logical partition.
xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Re: need help with partitions

Post by xenopeek »

I don't think this can be currently done with GParted without loss of data.

You will have to pick out one partition, move its data elsewhere, convert it to an extended partition, and then create logical partitions in it for use by Linux. With GParted you can resize partitions, so you could perhaps make one of the other 3 Windows partitions bigger so all of Windows files could fit on it?
Electroman6913
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Electroman6913 »

I was thinking maybe I could make a recovery disk then delete the recovery partition.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

Electroman6913 wrote:I was thinking maybe I could make a recovery disk then delete the recovery partition.
You can. Windows 7 has a utility to make a system image (similar to what Clonezilla does in Linux), except the Windows image will need about 3 DVDs. I did the same thing when I first installed Linux, and deleted the HP recovery partition, as it is no longer needed. Then you can make an extended partition with as many logical partitions as you may need. If you are going to dual-boot with Windows 7, after running defrag you will be able to shrink it's partition by about 50%.
NOTE: Be sure and make a recovery disk as well as the system image. You would need the recovery disk to reinstall the image.
Mint Cinnamon 20
wayne128
Level 10
Level 10

Post by wayne128 »

Can you provide details on your HP partition layout?
Several method available:

=On Win7 it has disk management tool, run it and take image
=Or using Linux Live CD, run Live, run gparted and take a snapshot and post image.
=Or run Linux Live CD, use terminal and type two commands , get output and post.
1. sudo fdisk -l
2. sudo parted -l print

If you run win7 , there are also many partition manager tools available besides its own disk management tool.
Some of them have become paid version.
At least I am aware there are still free version, and it can convert a primary partition to logical partition, as long as that primary partition is not a system partition.

The last time I worked on it the partition layout looks like but yours could be totally different.
1. system recovery
2. boot partition
3. OS partition
4. HP_Tool
At that time, I copied out HP_tool, shrunk OS partition 3, delete partition4, re-create extended partition 4, add some logical partitions insider extended, then copied back HP_Tool. Do not follow this steps since your current situation might be different.

Return to “Installation & Boot”