Problems with the Livecd GNOME Panel

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
hi

Problems with the Livecd GNOME Panel

Post by hi »

I downloaded the newest version of Linux Mint a while ago and booted up the livecd. It worked perfectly that time, and the whole system looked very nice, but I didn't have the time to install it on that day, so I shut down my computer and planned to use the livecd again to explore Mint a little more and possibly install it. However, every time after that first boot, GNOME seems to not load correctly. The background loads, and a blank white bar appears at the bottom of my screen where the panel should be. My mouse is there but when I right- or left- click, nothing happens. However, the 3d desktop works when I use ctrl+alt+left or right or down, etc.
So I'm guessing this is a problem with GNOME. However, it doesn't make sense because I didn't change anything between the first livecd boot and all the others. I even tried burning a new cd, and had the exact same result. Does anyone know what happened or what I can do to make Mint boot correctly from the livecd?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Problems with the Livecd GNOME Panel

Post by 67GTA »

Sometimes parts of the live cd's are slow to load for me. If you wait will the panel eventually load?
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
ssfc72
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ssfc72 »

Sounds like the same quirk, I have run into booting the Live CD on my notebook.

I have come across a very strange quirk when booting the Live CD, of this version of Mint.

If I boot the Live CD with my notebook running on batteries, I get an error message right near the finish of the boot and after the Desktop screen is almost complete.
The bottom Toolbar of the Desktop doesn't render, so there is no "start" icon to click on to bring up the programs menu and I also get an error window that comes up, with something about a problem loading the Mixer (I assume this would be the audio mixer).

When I boot the Live CD with my notebook plugged in, I don't have any problems.

The notebook battery is charged and in good condition.

I am wondering if this failure to boot properly, when running on the notebook batteries, would occur with a harddrive install of Mint.

I will have to do some more investigation of this quirk.
hi

Post by hi »

Responding to 67GTA, no, I'm almost positive it doesn't have to do with slow load time. I waited for the panel to appear for a while, and then I heard the cd stop spinning. Wouldn't it keep spinning if there was more to load? I waited about a minute after it stopped spinning but nothing changed...
DJKnutsen

Post by DJKnutsen »

I've got Linux-Mint 7 installed on my HP Pavilion dv9800, and when plugged in...everything works GREAT!!! BUT.... on battery, the boot stalls.... if I press the enter key (a bunch of times..) it eventually finishes booting, and everything seems normal once the desktop is up??? Does it have something to do with the power saver function? I LOVE Mint!! Dave
emorrp1

Post by emorrp1 »

Hello, and Welcome to Linux Mint. What you described has nothing to do with this 18-month old thread, please create a new thread. Also I vaguely remember there being an issue somewhere with someone describing the same pressing enter to boot as you, so make sure you search the forums before posting.

Return to “Installation & Boot”