Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
mr_raider
Level 6
Level 6

Installing to UEFI BIOS, crashes on install

Post by mr_raider » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:48 pm

I'm trying to install LM 11 (Katya) to a Lenovo x120e laptop using EFI. The BIOS is set to boot UEFI only. I can boot to the Live USB with no issues. I format the disk with a GPT table, and let the installer run automatically. It creates the EFI partition and copies all the files with no issues, but at the end of the install, it crashes and aborts when trying to install GRUB.

Any ideas?

richyrich
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Installing to UEFI BIOS, crashes on install

Post by richyrich » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:28 pm

I format the disk with a GPT table, and let the installer run automatically.
sorry, us un-informed entities require more specific information . . to what or which drive ? partitions ? swap ? can you reproduce this during a Live session ? if so, can you attach a screenshot of your GPT before the error?

mr_raider
Level 6
Level 6

Post by mr_raider » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:47 pm

Sorry. I use gparted to create a GPT table on the single drive (SSD) /dev/sda.

I leave the space raw unformatted. I run the installer from within the Live USB environment, already booted in UEFI mode.

The installer runs fine, and creates three partitions:

EFI 20MB fat16
System ext4
and swap

At the end of the install, when trying to install grub it fails. I can't show you a picture, because I finally gave up and reverted to BIOS and MBR setup. I would have to re-wipe my drive to take a pic.

wayne128
Level 10
Level 10

Post by wayne128 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:52 pm

mr_raider wrote:Sorry. I use gparted to create a GPT table on the single drive (SSD) /dev/sda.

I leave the space raw unformatted. I run the installer from within the Live USB environment, already booted in UEFI mode.

The installer runs fine, and creates three partitions:

EFI 20MB fat16
System ext4
and swap

At the end of the install, when trying to install grub it fails. I can't show you a picture, because I finally gave up and reverted to BIOS and MBR setup. I would have to re-wipe my drive to take a pic.

Just opinion only
If your hard disk partition is less than 2TB , staying with MBR/msdos partition table would simplify thing.

richyrich
Level 19
Level 19

Post by richyrich » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:05 am

:( . . now I feel bad to bring more work for you . . please search/readup on the troubles with using a journaling format (ext4) with your type of drive.

you may want to consider an alternative . . just my h o . . good luck.

mr_raider
Level 6
Level 6

Post by mr_raider » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:46 am

I've used ext4 on SSDs without issues. It's required for the discard option.

steev
Level 1
Level 1

Post by steev » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:31 am

Maybe try installing the EFI version of Grub before running the installer:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install grub-efi
...and again after you boot your system for the first time.

Note that I've only ever installed Mint on BIOS machines, so I have no idea if this will help.

mr_raider
Level 6
Level 6

Post by mr_raider » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:01 am

steev wrote:Maybe try installing the EFI version of Grub before running the installer:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install grub-efi
...and again after you boot your system for the first time.

Note that I've only ever installed Mint on BIOS machines, so I have no idea if this will help.
Interesting suggestion. I just assumed that if you boot in to live CD in EFI mode already, grub will just do the right thing. Has anyone successfully installed LM11 on a UEFI board? I would like more user feedback before a wipe and re-install.

mr_raider
Level 6
Level 6

Post by mr_raider » Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:04 pm

After some exploration, it seems this problem is caused by the customizations made to the linux mint installer. When i try to manually install grub-efi it fails because grub-efi-amd64 conflicts with the linux mint gnome meta packages.

I did a clean install of Ubuntu Natty in EFI mode with no issues. The changes made to the ubuntu installer by the Mint team seem to have introduced this bug. I hope it gets patched for Mint 12.

dhave
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dhave » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:27 pm

mr_raider wrote:
did a clean install of Ubuntu Natty in EFI mode with no issues. The changes made to the ubuntu installer by the Mint team seem to have introduced this bug. I hope it gets patched for Mint 12.
Hmm. I have a uefi-capable Thinkpad T420 equipped with an SSD. I'm very much wanting to install Ubuntu 11.04 in EFI mode mode on a gpt partition and with grub2 as bootloader. Have you succeeded in doing this on your machine?

Did you use a standard desktop install CD or USB stick?

Would you mind giving me a quick how-to? For example, I'm unsure about how to get the Ubuntu installer to use gpt rather than mbr, and how to get it to go with uefi rather than standard bios.

Thanks a lot! I've been fooling with this off and on, first with Arch and now with Ubuntu. I had wondered if I needed to wait until I had a Linux installer which ran from and installed kernel 3.0.

mr_raider
Level 6
Level 6

Post by mr_raider » Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:32 pm

dhave wrote: Hmm. I have a uefi-capable Thinkpad T420 equipped with an SSD. I'm very much wanting to install Ubuntu 11.04 in EFI mode mode on a gpt partition and with grub2 as bootloader. Have you succeeded in doing this on your machine?

Did you use a standard desktop install CD or USB stick?

Would you mind giving me a quick how-to? For example, I'm unsure about how to get the Ubuntu installer to use gpt rather than mbr, and how to get it to go with uefi rather than standard bios.

Thanks a lot! I've been fooling with this off and on, first with Arch and now with Ubuntu. I had wondered if I needed to wait until I had a Linux installer which ran from and installed kernel 3.0.
I used a USB stick of 11.04. I set the BIOS to boot in UEFI mode only and booted from the USB stick. I then used gparted to create a gpt partition table and then create my partitions as desired. Create your first partition as a 128MB fat16 partition. Check the align to MiB box in gparted to align my SSD partitions to 1024k boundaries.

I then ran the installer and chose to custom define parttions. The first partition created above (128MB) I set as EFI. The rest I set as ext4 and mounted at / and /home. I did not make a swap. From there on, run the installer as usual and you should be able to boot in EFI mode thereafter.

Once in Ubuntu, do NOT upgrade the kernel. It will break grub-EFI.

Return to “Installation & Boot”