Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Arcosanti
Level 1
Level 1

[Solved]Aptitude uninstalled half of my system

Post by Arcosanti »

I was trying to install a package in aptitude instead of installing that package it uninstalled half the system claiming they were unwanted packages. Is there any way to get Aptitude to reverse this? I found the aptitude log file that shows everything it uninstalled but I have no way to paste it into this forum as gedit was taken out during this. The only editor I seem to have left is the console editor joe. Going through the aptitude log I found out it installed eight applications, non of which I was wanting to install. Non of the installed applications are a big problem though. Does anyone have any idea what aptitude was doing?
Last edited by Arcosanti on Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Arcosanti
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Aptitude uninstalled half of my system

Post by Arcosanti »

I was able to reinstall everything that aptitude uninstalled by going down the aptitude log and using apt-get install --reinstall in another terminal. Once I had gnome terminal back on the system, I switched the reinstall efforts over to it to take advantage of the copy/paste that uxterminal does not have. Took half of the day to get everything back, but everything is back to the way it was before I tried aptitude. No user settings or sessions were lost from the uninstall process. The only difference is that I now have a new applet on my panel that installed during the reinstall process. Otherwise my desktop is the same. I then did a reboot just to be on the safe side. The system did not want to shut down at first but I was able to get it to do so with the shutdown applet. The system boot up just fine though and let me login with no problems. Everything should be fine now. I'll definately careful with aptitude in the future.

Return to “Installation & Boot”