Boot into Single User Mode

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
abelinone

Boot into Single User Mode

Post by abelinone »

Howdy all. I have what I hope is a simple question. I'd like to boot into single user mode on a Linux Mint 11 install. I have found a few posts on the intertubes that do NOT correctly say how to do this. All I get are the instructions that say how to do this in RedHat/CentOS. The instructions I've found say to find the line that says "kernel", to hit 'e' to enter edit mode and to append "single" to the end of that line and boot from there. This doesn't work. In fact there's no line that says "kernel" and entering the edit mode doesn't appear to work as specified. So I'm clearly overlooking something obvious. The machine is set up to dual boot (the other OS being RH 6 WS). I don't know if that makes a difference. When I try to boot in recovery mode I get dropped to a prompt but it immediately asks for the root password. If the root password is what I want to change b/c I was an idiot and forgot it... what do I do? Boot in single user mode you say? LOL! Can anyone tell me what retarded thing I'm doing/not doing? Many thanks. :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.

Return to “Installation & Boot”