live CD wont start. x1400 ati/ t60 lenovo

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
p_dccd
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:04 am

live CD wont start. x1400 ati/ t60 lenovo

Postby p_dccd » Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:12 am

When i tried to install Mint from live cd, it doesnot start X, seems that tried various resolutions then screen blinks and blue screen says display on :0 failed to load 6 times in 90 seconds

What this mean? How can i fix it? MD5 correct.

Lenovo laptop T60 2ghx core duo2
1GB
ATI x1400 1680x1050 screen.

Same thing with Ubuntu.

User avatar
merlwiz79
Level 10
Level 10
Posts: 3476
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:50 pm
Location: Here again :)

Re: live CD wont start. x1400 ati/ t60 lenovo

Postby merlwiz79 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:19 am

From Gutsys release notes.
Blank screen with some ATI hardware
People with ATI display adapters may get a blank screen when loading X due to the driver being unable to initialize certain hardware. Upstream is working on it, and hopefully we'll be able to release an update for 7.10 soon after the release. In the meantime, add 'Option "LVDSBiosNativeMode" "false"' to the driver section of xorg.conf.Bug #132716
Image

p_dccd
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:04 am

Re: live CD wont start. x1400 ati/ t60 lenovo

Postby p_dccd » Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:18 pm

merlwiz79 wrote:From Gutsys release notes.
Blank screen with some ATI hardware
People with ATI display adapters may get a blank screen when loading X due to the driver being unable to initialize certain hardware. Upstream is working on it, and hopefully we'll be able to release an update for 7.10 soon after the release. In the meantime, add 'Option "LVDSBiosNativeMode" "false"' to the driver section of xorg.conf.Bug #132716


As i understand I need to edit xorg.conf after i installed system. How can i install MINT? I don't see "alternate" version with text installer.

User avatar
merlwiz79
Level 10
Level 10
Posts: 3476
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:50 pm
Location: Here again :)

Re: live CD wont start. x1400 ati/ t60 lenovo

Postby merlwiz79 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:46 pm

You should be able to edit the file and login to install.
Image

p_dccd
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:04 am

Re: live CD wont start. x1400 ati/ t60 lenovo

Postby p_dccd » Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:49 am

merlwiz79 wrote:You should be able to edit the file and login to install.



Where i must edit file? on CD with MINT live?




Sorry for dumb questions but Im totally new to Linux. Thank you for helping!

User avatar
merlwiz79
Level 10
Level 10
Posts: 3476
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:50 pm
Location: Here again :)

Re: live CD wont start. x1400 ati/ t60 lenovo

Postby merlwiz79 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:03 am

Load the cd, press F2 and use sudo vim /etc/X11/xorg.conf.
Image

p_dccd
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:04 am

Re: live CD wont start. x1400 ati/ t60 lenovo

Postby p_dccd » Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:54 am

i edited xorg.conf this way

http://infosonic.wordpress.com/2007/10/ ... cbook-pro/

So i complete install and can enter "recovery mode".

Now i need setup network connection in recovery mode for enabling restricted drivers?

User avatar
merlwiz79
Level 10
Level 10
Posts: 3476
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:50 pm
Location: Here again :)

Re: live CD wont start. x1400 ati/ t60 lenovo

Postby merlwiz79 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:59 am

p_dccd wrote:i edited xorg.conf this way

http://infosonic.wordpress.com/2007/10/ ... cbook-pro/

So i complete install and can enter "recovery mode".

Now i need setup network connection in recovery mode for enabling restricted drivers?

You should be able to do that in normal user mode.
Image

p_dccd
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:04 am

Re: live CD wont start. x1400 ati/ t60 lenovo

Postby p_dccd » Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:14 am

merlwiz79 wrote:
p_dccd wrote:i edited xorg.conf this way

http://infosonic.wordpress.com/2007/10/ ... cbook-pro/

So i complete install and can enter "recovery mode".

Now i need setup network connection in recovery mode for enabling restricted drivers?

You should be able to do that in normal user mode.


I can't ,same error apears about display on :0 failed to load 6 times in 90 seconds

p_dccd
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:04 am

Re: live CD wont start. x1400 ati/ t60 lenovo

Postby p_dccd » Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:43 am

p_dccd wrote:
merlwiz79 wrote:
p_dccd wrote:i edited xorg.conf this way

http://infosonic.wordpress.com/2007/10/ ... cbook-pro/

So i complete install and can enter "recovery mode".

Now i need setup network connection in recovery mode for enabling restricted drivers?

You should be able to do that in normal user mode.


I can't ,same error apears about display on :0 failed to load 6 times in 90 seconds


OK, i typed somth like ctrl-alt-f3 when blue screen appears and in console startx. No network connection there too.

p_dccd
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:04 am

Re: live CD wont start. x1400 ati/ t60 lenovo

Postby p_dccd » Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:48 am

Hoooraaay =)

I reinstaled mint one more time with ethernet pluged in, after install networking worked and video driver successfully setuped from restricted :D

User avatar
merlwiz79
Level 10
Level 10
Posts: 3476
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:50 pm
Location: Here again :)

Re: live CD wont start. x1400 ati/ t60 lenovo

Postby merlwiz79 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:03 am

Glad it all worked out for you. :)
Image

p_dccd
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:04 am

Re: live CD wont start. x1400 ati/ t60 lenovo

Postby p_dccd » Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:12 am

merlwiz79 wrote:Glad it all worked out for you. :)


Greet THANKS for your help! :D


Return to “Installation & Boot”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 19 guests