Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
minitrucker
Level 3
Level 3

hibernation failure [solved]

Post by minitrucker »

[SOLVED]

I am using Katya on a Dell inspiron 1545. When I did my last install I created a 2gig swap for the few times I may use suspend or hibernate. I've used them both a few times with no real problems other than say an odd screen flicker upon turning it back on. This time though I had a big problem arise. I got a bit of "white noise" on my screen for a slit second and then it gave me a text only screen. Being a winderps convert, I still don't know much of what I am looking at. A few lines popped out at me though, and here they are.

Code: Select all

Pid: 27; comm: kswapd0 Tainted: P

EFLAGS: 00010206
oh and now my HDD is revving up a lot more than it was before this happened.... don't know if that's connected. But my comp could/would go whole sessions w/o revving up the HDD and now I can hear it about every 3-5 min

edit:

so the attached picture is what Disk Utility is telling me. Are the bad sectors normal, or something I should try to fix?
Attachments
failingdrive.png
failingdrive.png (177.61 KiB) Viewed 1386 times
Last edited by minitrucker on Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I like everything custom. My vehicles, my Operating Systems, my bank accounts....... I guess I'm just spoiled........maybe

Am I Anonymous?
Am I Legion?
Can I Forgive?
I Forget What Happened 15min ago......
Should I expect myself?

Arcosanti
Level 1
Level 1

Re: hibernation failure

Post by Arcosanti »

Bad sectors is usually an indication that your HD is about to bite the dust. You'll want to get a new HD and image the old drive over to the new new drive using some kind of a drive imaging utility.Preferably one that boots up off of a cd or DVD. My personal favorite is Hiren's Boot CD. It's a good bet that your swap partition has it's share of bad sectors as well, which would definately keep you from coming up out of hibernation. The memory state at that point would be corrupted due to the bad sectors on the HD.

AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

You can disable the constant spinning up/down with this command:

sudo hdparm -B 254 /dev/sda
It will be returned to the default setting when you reboot, so you can make it permanent when it appears to work well:

gksudo gedit /etc/rc.local
In this file (text editor opens), you can put this somewhere before "exit 0" :

hdparm -B 254 /dev/sda
Your disk has 34 bad sectors and may get more bad sectors in future. All data on those sectors should be considered lost. Perhaps one of those sectors is part of the swap and caused the hibernation image to be corrupted.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.

minitrucker
Level 3
Level 3

Post by minitrucker »

that's not what I wanted to hear at all...... Could the bad sectors have been caused by winsucks when it crashed? And I guess there's not a repair? This laptop needs to last me at least 2 more years! Anyway at all to prevent future bad sectors? Is there a way to pinpoint the bad sectors that way I can avoid using that part? This sounds like bad news but I thank you for the insight and codes needed to settle my HDD back down.
I like everything custom. My vehicles, my Operating Systems, my bank accounts....... I guess I'm just spoiled........maybe

Am I Anonymous?
Am I Legion?
Can I Forgive?
Should I expect myself?

AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Bad sectors are normally caused by physical damage to the harddisk. I don't think Windows has caused it.

Your harddisk should remap those sectors, but it doesn't. This usually means that the disk is dying.

minitrucker
Level 3
Level 3

Post by minitrucker »

So my drive seems to be exhibiting more problems that I guess are associated with the bad sectors?? About every 3 startups the system finds a problem with my drive and runs a check before it will boot. And this time when I tried to access some Libre Writer files I run a recovery for them. Luckily they were recovered successfully but now I'm worrying even more. This is the first time these particular files were affected. So my only choice is a new HDD? And quickly? I don't have the money for this.....

Am I Anonymous?
Am I Legion?
Can I Forgive?
Should I expect myself?

Arcosanti
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Arcosanti »

Your only other option at this point is to back up your critical files that can't be replaced to some other media. You can continue to use the system, but the HD will get more bad sectors as time passes the system may become unstable as a result. I ended up dealing with this under win XP last year. didn't have too many bad sectors either but windows swaps to the HD far more often than Linux does and so I had system freezes and blue screens of death quite often. Linux will probably handle this a bit better than windows does but eventually it will be affected when enough bad sectors appear. Data loss is a concern, so don't rely on this HD anymore for anything you can't afford to lose. Be sure to use another computer to look for and get a recovery boot environment of some kind. either a boot cd/DVD or a boot usb environment. The idea behind this is to use that environment to do the backups so the system will be stable and to prevent unnecessary writes to the bad HD in order to prevent any data loss. Be sure to use this pc lightly until you can resolve the problem permanently.

Another thing you could do is look into setting up a usb boot environment with a minimal system install that would at the least give you internet access. It's not the greatest solution but it is about the only thing I can think of as a work around.

What you do decide to do, you will need to do it as soon as possible as this type of problem has the potential to progress very fast.

minitrucker
Level 3
Level 3

Post by minitrucker »

I can't use this computer lightly, as it's my only one. I can't make the 20 min trip to school every time I need a comp :( Being that the install of Linux is fresh and I'm still feeling out how bad my situation is, those two files (Homework) were the only important ones on my drive. Everything else that I recovered from the winsucks crash hasn't been transferred back yet. So question about installing a new HDD: Since I have no important files and therefore no real ties to this HDD, can I just put the new, clean HDD without the apparatus needed for all the transfer and just install MInt the same way I did when Vista crashed? (via live usb)

Am I Anonymous?
Am I Legion?
Can I Forgive?
Should I expect myself?

AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

You'll need to look which connectors (IDE or SATA) are present on your motherboard before you can buy a new disk - else the cable won't plug in into the motherboard.

Just install the disk and remove the old one, connect it to power supply & motherboard and then install Mint by booting the CD, DVD or USB stick. Mint4Win won't work as there's no MS Windows present on an empty disk.

minitrucker
Level 3
Level 3

Post by minitrucker »

Cool. Now to only find the money. Right, I haven't used Mint4Win yet as windows was unrecoverable when I installed Mint the first time. I like the sound of that. No extra money involved and I can handle swapping the HDD myself without the extra hardware. Thank You everyone!

Am I Anonymous?
Am I Legion?
Can I Forgive?
Should I expect myself?

AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Re: hibernation failure [solved]

Post by AlbertP »

Swapping a harddisk is usually just a matter of unscrewing the old one on both sides, and screwing the new one in the same place. Sometimes it can be hard to get to the screws on the back side, this depends on the enclosure you are using. Some don't even have screws on the back side. Some enclosures use an easy click system instead of screws, mainly the more expensive ones.

Arcosanti
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Arcosanti »

Since you don't really have much on this PC then it doesn't matter how much you use it, as long as you got got the important files moved somewhere else. Using the PC lightly is so the degradation of the HD is slowed enough that you can get everything off to another drive while minimizing data loss.

I checked the specs on the Inspiration 1545 on Wikipedia, and it says that this laptop uses SATA up to 500 GB. That's what you really want any way as the IDE based PATA's are not going to be around too much longer.

AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Oh it's a laptop. Sorry.

You can usually unscrew the harddisk cover on the side or bottom of the laptop, and then put a screwdriver under the harddisk to get it out. You need to make sure that the new disk has the same size and the same connector. Then you can just put the disk into the laptop, the same way you got the old disk out of the laptop. You don't have to connect cables in a laptop.

minitrucker
Level 3
Level 3

Post by minitrucker »

Thanks again guys! I was fairly sure that it SATA and I was definitely going to do the research before heading to newegg.com. It would be nice to go ahead and grab a 500Gb since this one was only 320Gb but I think I may make the move to external storage and just grab a cheap replacement to have a more reliable disk inside the comp. I don't know. Thoughts?

Am I Anonymous?
Am I Legion?
Can I Forgive?
Should I expect myself?

minitrucker
Level 3
Level 3

Post by minitrucker »

<http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6822145454> this looks like a direct replacement, buuuttt........

what about this one? <http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6822152236>

$30 doesn't seem like too much more for a 500 Gb

Am I Anonymous?
Am I Legion?
Can I Forgive?
Should I expect myself?

AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Both look like good harddisks for your laptop, and that laptop is a Dell so it should accept all disks (certain ThinkPad models only work with their own disks).

minitrucker
Level 3
Level 3

Post by minitrucker »

Cool. It won't be as bad as I thought it was going to be. Thank you so very much!

Am I Anonymous?
Am I Legion?
Can I Forgive?
Should I expect myself?

Return to “Installation & Boot”