Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
andreax71
Level 1
Level 1

LXDE 32 INSTALL DEADLOCK

Post by andreax71 »

I'm trying to install MINT 11 - LXDE 32bit on my laptop. I have an hp pavillion 6500 with a broadcom wireless adapter.
Well, I was quite disappointed as I noticed that it's compulsory (!) to have an internet connection to install the distro... but I know this is a ubuntu (dis)feature, so I passed over it.

Unfortunately as the driver is proprietary, it doesn't come as a default and I was asked to install the proprietary driver, but ... ARGHH the installation program tries to download (!) the driver from the ubuntu site... and the ubuntu site isn't unreachable as I haven't the wireless configured yet. :?

Of course!!! I need the driver to configure the network in order to download the driver!!! Isn't it a deadlock?!?! :roll:

So... in the next release, shouldn't it be nice to include proprietary network drivers in the CD itself? :wink:
Thanks
Andrea

p.s. I know there is also the wired network adapter, but let's suppose that I WANT to use the wirless one...

richyrich
Level 19
Level 19

Re: LXDE 32 INSTALL DEADLOCK

Post by richyrich »

Maybe you can convince Broadcom to allow their "Proprietary" software (firmware and drivers) to be included/distributed/installed by Mint Installation Disks.

cut from the Redistribution section:
. Proprietary software vendors usually prohibit users from sharing the software with others . . Another unique license is required for another party to use the software.
In the case of proprietary software with source code available, the vendor may also prohibit customers from distributing their modifications to the source code.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proprietary_software

good luck.

richyrich
Level 19
Level 19

Post by richyrich »

Found this in the Tutorials/Howto section of the forum, hope it may help . .
How To - Broadcom Wireless STA driver without internet access

Arcosanti
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Arcosanti »

Since you are able to make posts here, you must have some kind of an environment with internet access. Using that environment, you can download the windows driver ands save it to a usb stick. Then just install the driver from the usb stick on to the live cd to get internet access.

Return to “Installation & Boot”