Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
victorsk
Level 2
Level 2

Installing on old Dell laptop

Post by victorsk »

Hi everyone,

I was trying to install Katya on my old 2006 Dell Celeron laptop couple of times now but every time I reach a point where I am asked to drag disk folder for installation, the screen immediately becomes garbled and distorted and it is impossible to recognize anything on the screen anymore so I just force it to shutdown.

I am not sure that this issue can be fixed because graphical installation of Katya is the only one available?

If there is a workaround, however, could somebody let me know please?

Thank you,
Victor.

remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Installing on old Dell laptop

Post by remoulder »

victorsk wrote:I am asked to drag disk folder for installation
The installer does not ask you to drag any folders, please provide more information. Also does this laptop meet the minimum requirements as specified on the release notes?
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.

victorsk
Level 2
Level 2

Post by victorsk »

Hello,

Yes, this laptop does meet minimum requirements. I've upgraded it to 2GB RAM and it has more than enough diskspace.

Regarding installer, the error happens on the screen which comes after I select "install Mint alongside" another operating system.

I don't have enough time to read the next screen - the screen gets garbled up almost immediately so I assume that's what it says.

The problem is that screen is being garbled up during installation. Do you know how to fix it?

spandey
Level 4
Level 4

Post by spandey »

I hope you are installing the Gnome version. What Graphics your machine has?
Linux Mint 17 - Mate 64 Bit

victorsk
Level 2
Level 2

Post by victorsk »

spandey wrote:I hope you are installing the Gnome version. What Graphics your machine has?
Hi,

I am installing Gnome version. Here is my graphics output from lspci -v:

Code: Select all

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 915GM/GMS/910GML Express Graphics Controller (rev 03) (prog-if 00 [VGA])
	Subsystem: Dell Unknown device 01c9
	Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 169
	Memory at dff00000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=512K]
	I/O ports at eff8 [size=8]
	Memory at c0000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=256M]
	Memory at dfec0000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=256K]
	Capabilities: <access denied>

00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 915GM/GMS/910GML Express Graphics Controller (rev 03)
	Subsystem: Dell Unknown device 01c9
	Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0
	Memory at dff80000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=512K]
I am a big Mint fan. I use Mint at work, on my desktop computer, and now would be great if my old laptop could run it too. Right now it's running eLive. Before that I was running Fedora, Gentoo, and Mandriva on it. But I would prefer it to run Mint :)

Victor.

remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

victorsk wrote:error happens on the screen which comes after I select "install Mint alongside" another operating system
A few things to try.
In the BIOS ensure you have allocated enough memory to the graphics if it uses shared memory.
Run the 'Check disc for errors' option on the boot menu - any errors make another disc.
Load the disc using the compatible graphics mode option on the boot menu.
If the other operating system is Windows, ensure you have fully defragged the drive(s) and run chkdsk beforehand.
On the live disc, run gparted from the menu and delete any partitions you may have created, iow apart from the other OS the remainder of the drive should be un-partitioned.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.

victorsk
Level 2
Level 2

Post by victorsk »

remoulder wrote:
victorsk wrote:I am asked to drag disk folder for installation
The installer does not ask you to drag any folders,
Well, as it turned out it actually does. Firstly, I was able to install Mint but for some weird reason I installed Fedora 16, because nothing else worked. I didn't like Fedora 16 for its restrictive Gnome 3 theme and lack of plugin support so as last attempt I tried to install Mint again. It worked this time!

Regarding folders, what it was is the screen with a separator. On the left, there was a "folder" with another Linux system, on the right, there was a "folder" with Mint icon. I dragged the separator to the left to maximize room for my Mint installation and now I have Windows, Fedora 16, and Mint on my old laptop! :D

Victor.

Return to “Installation & Boot”