Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
jazz.h
Level 4
Level 4

Mint 12 on Acer Aspire 722, Win7 Starter, MultiBoot [SOLVED]

Post by jazz.h »

OK, I have some progress, after my findings explained here -> Acer Aspire One 722, compatible with Mint 11? http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=82681.
I'm already running Mint 12 on my desktop PC, yesterday on my desktop I fully installed Mint 12 into USB stick, over previously installed Mint 11 on it. More on it here -> Mint 11 on a 8GB flash with 3 partitions, possible? (http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=82641).
Then, without really expecting some improvements (cause I didn't read any Ubuntu 11.10 progress on this), I tried to boot my netbook from this flash and was quite suprised! Everything worked out of the box, wifi connected (no freezes), battery ok, temp sensors, sound, camera... :shock:
So I decided to make it permanent, meaning hdd installing is about to take place. Which brings me to my question, sorry for this long introduction...

How should I best mooltiboot install Mint 12 on my netbook hdd and keep Win7 Starter and hidden recovery and system partitions, so I can make restore it eventually to factory settings?

My hdd is 500gb (/dev/sda) with Master Boot Record, partitions:
-1st partition (/dev/sda1) is 14gb hidden with Win7 installation and Acer drivers,
-2nd is 105mb System Recovery Bootable (/dev/sda2),
-3rd is 54gb Win7 (/dev/sda3),
-4th is Extended (/dev/sda4) and
-5th is free 430gb (/dev/sda5)

I will shrink sda5, then in unpartitioned space I will make new partitions sda6 ext4 50gb (for home "/") and sda7 2gb swap (for swap) partition.
Is there any other choice for grub boot loader except on sda root, possibly on sda6 ? Or there is some trick I can make multiboot loader from windows?
What would you suggest?
Attachments
Acer722hdd.gif
Acer722hdd.gif (45.7 KiB) Viewed 1704 times
Last edited by jazz.h on Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kilz
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Mint 12 on Acer Aspire 722, Win7 Starter, MultiBoot

Post by Kilz »

I would suggest letting grub install in the mbr of sda, there is really no other good option. People in the past would sometimes use a boot floppy, but floppys are long gone and if it gets lost you are sol. You will get an option of what os you want to load. You can then setup the free space as a media partition that mounts in /etc/fstab . That way whatever os you boot into will have access to the files.
I trust Microsoft about as far as I could comfortably spit a dead rat
Ubuntu is my past, it is no longer the place it once was, on its forums you are no longer free to voice your opinion.
64bit Linux Powered
jazz.h
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jazz.h »

Kilz wrote:I would suggest letting grub install in the mbr of sda, there is really no other good option. People in the past would sometimes use a boot floppy, but floppys are long gone and if it gets lost you are sol. You will get an option of what os you want to load. You can then setup the free space as a media partition that mounts in /etc/fstab . That way whatever os you boot into will have access to the files.
Yes, I know about the fstab auto mounting and sharing the data partition between both of the OSs, thank you, it was my idea.
But about grub location... some time ago I heard of the bcd app, that could modify the existing loader... Or perhaps it was chained boot definition...? Not sure now...
oobetimer

Post by oobetimer »

jazz.h wrote:
Kilz wrote: But about grub location... some time ago I heard of the bcd app, that could modify the existing loader... Or perhaps it was chained boot definition...? Not sure now...
EasyBCD may sounds easy, but when you you want to remove it, that can be a tricky operation. I think that MBR is a good place for grub, and if you want to remove grub some day, it is easy with lilo .. :wink:

sudo apt-get install lilo

sudo lilo /dev/sda mbr

jazz.h
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jazz.h »

Wow! Lilo sounds like a perfect solution, had no idea this existed. :D
This means that if I want to restore factory boot, I can boot from some live linux usb, apt get lilo and remove grub from the mbr and upon restart Win7 Starter will boot like before multiboot? Or I must do something additionaly, for example, fix mbr from the original win7 installation disc?

p.s. this guy from youtube link performed lilo actions from ubuntu running in virtualbox :shock: , that's even easier than making bootable live usb stick, would it really work or it was just the demonstration of terminal commands which should've been entered? :roll:
Kilz
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Kilz »

lilo is almost impossible to remove in my experience, last time I ended up formatting the drive to remove it.
I trust Microsoft about as far as I could comfortably spit a dead rat
Ubuntu is my past, it is no longer the place it once was, on its forums you are no longer free to voice your opinion.
64bit Linux Powered
jazz.h
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jazz.h »

I installed grub into mbr of sda. Everything ok. Just having issues with hibernating or suspend, with both ati or generic drivers.

Return to “Installation & Boot”