Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
tomween1
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] Trouble changing from Ubuntu 11.10 to Mint 12

Post by tomween1 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:47 am

I need to preface everything by mentioning I am a noob, at best when it comes to computers. I started a post regarding partition issues but feel that's not the complete issue. So I need further help.

Simply put, I have a laptop set as dual boot Win7/Ubuntu11.10 (32bit) I have nothing to keep from the Ubuntu install. I simply do not care for Ubuntu 11.10. I have played around w/ Mint12 and would like to install it, replacing the Ubuntu os w/ LM12 os.

So here's what I see from LM12 (when using the disk)

I realize I need to delete dev/sda5, dev/sda6 and dev/sda7.... From this point I am lost. I did notice (while trying to install M12) that the disk space was to low for install and it gave me the option to correct the partition size. That's when It opened to the pic above.... and where I was lost
Last edited by tomween1 on Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mank_in
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Trouble changing from Ubuntu 11.10 to Mint 12

Post by mank_in » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:57 am

I think yours sda 5 ,6 ,7 all combine is not much.
I am usually use about 15-20 GB for Mint in My Hard drive.
If you do not want more free space :
- delete sda 5, 6 ,7 and you have 1 free partition
- create one ext4 partition (you can use entirely free partition, but i recommended to reserve at least 512Mb for swap) , set mount point / , check at format? (format that ext4 partition )
- create swap partition for reserved free partition
Hope this will help you :)

Foz
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Foz » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:02 pm

A bit sticky this one, but just about doable.
I always find dealing with partitions the scaryist part of any install, especially when you are not sure what you are doing. You have backed up all your files in Windows haven't you!
Your biggest problem is a lack of space. you also have two swap partitions when you only need one (even for multiple Linux installs), and they are both bigger than necessary.
Windows is living on sda1 and we don't want to mess with it, at least for now.

I would recommend (using the change button);
First delete partitions sda5 ,sda6 and sda7, this will give us a clean and continuous space to work in.
Next in our nice new space we need a swap partition I think 1000MB is appropriate (my assumption is that you are using Gparted so that what I'm saying connects to what's on the screen).
Finally you can create an ext 4 partition of about 8GB(ish) which will be big enough.

This is still very small, I usually use 10gig for /, lots more for /home and 2 gig for swap.
You could do this by shrinking the Windows partition, but this will upset Windows and require rescue CD's. So this may be a project for when you are more confident.

bimsebasse
Level 7
Level 7

Post by bimsebasse » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:15 pm

You could do this by shrinking the Windows partition, but this will upset Windows and require rescue CD's.
Not the times I've done it, at worst it makes chkdsk run next Windows boot.

2779mb is a very small root partition.

I would quit the installation, start a live session (ubuntu 11.10 or Mint 12) and in gparted shrink the NFTS partition at least 5 gigs, apply, exit - then do the install.
Thank you for this thread. That’s all I can say. You most definitely have made this forum into something special. You clearly know what you are doing, you’ve covered so many bases. Thanks!

mank_in
Level 6
Level 6

Post by mank_in » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:28 pm

All i know win 7 will created one partition called system reversed for boot , in this case in sda1 ( 1573 MB not enough for win7 )
Windows 7 must be installed on sda2.
If you not familiar with gpart, you can create free space in MS windows environment with disk management. select the partition and right click to shrink ( as i remembered ). You can use freeware partition master home edition too.
But i suggest backup your data first.

edwardr
Level 4
Level 4

Post by edwardr » Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:44 pm

How do you access your Ubuntu installation? Do you first log into Windows and then run Ubuntu from within Windows? Or when you turn on the computer do you get to a screen where you have to choose whether you start up with Windows or Ubuntu? I am curious because that ext4 partition seems awful small to have Ubuntu installed on it. If you run Ubuntu from within Windows, then you should be able to uninstall Ubuntu from within Windows like uninstalling a regular program. If Ubuntu is installed to the ext4 partition on sda6, then the following procedure will wipe Ubuntu and replace it with Mint. (the procedure will work even if there is nothing on sda6)

Here's what I would do to install Mint alongside Windows:

1) First of all, make a backup of all your data on your computer. Copy it to an external hard drive, burn it to DVDs, upload it to the cloud, whatever. Making a mistake while partitioning your drive can result in everything being lost. So backup your pictures, music, documents etc. to some place outside of your hard drive.

2) From within Windows, defragment your hard drive.

3) Boot into your live Linux Mint CD/DVD/USB. Run Gparted and use it to shrink your NTFS partition by 10 or 15 GB. Make sure and shrink it from the side adjacent to the ext4 and swap partitions, because you will be combining these later. When you shrink your NTFS partition, you will create unallocated space on the hard drive.

4) Delete the ext4 partition and one swap partition that are immediately adjacent to the unallocated space, making one large area of unallocated space. (make sure and leave one of the swap partitions intact, don't remove them both)

5) Convert that unallocated space to ext4.

6) Exit Gparted and double click the icon on the desktop to install Mint.

7) When you get to the stage where the installer says there is another operating system on the computer, choose the advanced option and you will get to a screen like in the screenshot in your post.

8) Select the ext4 partition, assign it the "/" mount point and check the box to format the partition.

9) Continue with the installation. When the installation is complete you should get a message saying that you can reboot. When you reboot, you should see a screen where you get to choose between booting into Mint or Windows.

10) Let us know how it works out.
Last edited by edwardr on Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears this is true

tomween1
Level 1
Level 1

Post by tomween1 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:46 pm

FYI here's what it looks like from the windows side

tomween1
Level 1
Level 1

Post by tomween1 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:15 pm

Well I've read all of your posts several times and am left with even more questions.

1) The space seems to be an issue, agreed. Not having known better during install of U11.10 it sized the partitions through the set-up install, so not sure why they're undersized :?

2) In a few of the posts it is mentioned to eliminate 5,6&7 but in doing this I do I boot back into... anything?

3) I believe ext4 can be done in windows or does the partition tool shown above have the same capability? Swap?

4) "Not the times I've done it, at worst it makes chkdsk run next Windows boot.

2779mb is a very small root partition.

I would quit the installation, start a live session (ubuntu 11.10 or Mint 12) and in gparted shrink the NFTS partition at least 5 gigs, apply, exit - then do the install.
" OK so shrinking the NFTS + deleting the other partitions would create roughly 15gb section (in total ext4 & swap 9 + 5)

5) "If you not familiar with gpart, you can create free space in MS windows environment with disk management. select the partition and right click to shrink ( as i remembered ). You can use freeware partition master home edition too." Yes I can do this from windows, and when I do (say 20gb good sized partition for M12). Do I create this as an ext4?

tomween1
Level 1
Level 1

Post by tomween1 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:23 pm

Thank you, your tutorial is gratefully appreciated.
edwardr wrote:Or when you turn on the computer do you get to a screen where you have to choose whether you start up with Windows or Ubuntu? I am curious because that ext4 partition seems awful small to have Ubuntu installed on it.

Hahaha I, my friend, am suprised I'm even alive :)

I have the lisk of boot able os's 5 or 6 I think. I was able to move Windows to the first boot posistion. Then the rest is all Ubuntu

I question only 1 step (for my clarification) I assume I will be prompted to enter / when it come to the mount?

tomween1
Level 1
Level 1

Post by tomween1 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:00 pm

Step 1

Updated windows niew of partition

edwardr
Level 4
Level 4

Post by edwardr » Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:57 pm

I don't think Windows can create an ext4 filesystem or Linux swap partition. You'll have to do it either from Gparted from the live DVD or during the install process when you get to the partitioning screen in the screenshot in your first post.

To answer some of your other questions - foz suggested shrinking your Windows partition and deleting sda5, 6, and 7 and in their place creating a smaller swap partition and a new ext4 partition. My suggestion cut out one step, I said to shrink your Windows partition and delete sda5 and 6 and then create a new ext4 partition in their place, retaining one of the swap partitions.

From your latest screenshot, it looks like you have shrunk your Windows partition and created a new unallocated 21 GB partition. This is a good first step. However, it looks like there is still a 5 GB partition which is probably where Ubuntu is located. This still needs to be removed. You should boot into your Mint live DVD (or CD or USB thumb drive - I'm not sure what you're using for your Mint installation media) and then follow my instructions from step 4.

During the install process, when you get the the partitioning screen shown in your first post, you will choose the newly created ext4 partition and click the change button. A new window will pop up and one of the options will be a drop-down box where you select the "/" mount point.

You asked what will you be booting back into after deleting sda5 and 6 - you will be installing Mint in the space you create from merging those partitions together. After installing Mint, when you boot up you will have the option of booting into the new Mint or the existing Windows.
The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears this is true

tomween1
Level 1
Level 1

Post by tomween1 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:21 pm

I am so sorry for my pure ignorance...

This is what I now see in Gpart. not at all what It looked like prior. So now are we talking about combining unallocated, 2 & 5? Where did 7 go?

edwardr
Level 4
Level 4

Post by edwardr » Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:18 am

I have no idea where sda7 went - it must have been part of an aborted earlier installation and was never actually created. sda5 and sda6 are sub-sets of sda2 (you notice that the size of sda2, 8.09 GiB, is the sum of 5.34 and 2.75). You will be combining the unallocated 21.49 GiB section with sda5, making it an ext4 file system, and then installing Mint there.

good luck!

tomween1
Level 1
Level 1

Post by tomween1 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:55 pm

I'm in the live cd now and I'm ready to delete sections sda2 and sda5. sda5 can be deleted (haven't done it yet) but sda2 only offers Manage Flags and Information (no delete option). When I click on information, under status it says Busy (At least one logical partition is mounted)

edwardr
Level 4
Level 4

Post by edwardr » Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:25 pm

You're not going to delete sda2. You should delete sda5 and then create a new ext4 partition from the 21 GiB of unallocated space you created earlier with the 5.34 GiB of unallocated space you will create by deleting sda5. See my revised instructions below:

3) Boot into your live Linux Mint CD and run Gparted.

4) Delete the ext4 partition called sda5 that is immediately adjacent to the unallocated space, making one large area of unallocated space. (make sure and leave the swap partition intact)

5) Convert that unallocated space to ext4.

6) Exit Gparted and double click the icon on the desktop to install Mint.

7) When you get to the stage where the installer says there is another operating system on the computer, choose the advanced option and you will get to a screen like in the screenshot in your post.

8) Select the ext4 partition, assign it the "/" mount point and check the box to format the partition.

9) Continue with the installation. When the installation is complete you should get a message saying that you can reboot. When you reboot, you should see a screen where you get to choose between booting into Mint or Windows.

10) Let us know how it works out.

tomween1
Level 1
Level 1

Post by tomween1 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:50 pm

edwardr wrote:4) Delete the ext4 partition called sda5 that is immediately adjacent to the unallocated space, making one large area of unallocated space. (make sure and leave the swap partition intact)
But sda2 is between unallocated and sda5. sda5 is not immediately after unallocated. If I know anything, I know that that would be wrong :mrgreen:

tomween1
Level 1
Level 1

Post by tomween1 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:34 am

Well just got out of the hospital.

My understanding is, if I delete in the steps shown I will run into problems. I have not seen any response to last inquiry. Please take note of my last image> the steps to take> and my last question.

Thank you.

edwardr
Level 4
Level 4

Post by edwardr » Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:18 pm

Sorry about the hospital visit, I hope you are feeling better.

I think there should be a way to extend sda5 to the left to incorporate the unallocated space, but I don't have a computer handy that I can recreate a similar layout in order to test it. So it may be best to take a more direct approach. Try this:

Delete sda2. This should also delete sda5 and sda6 because 5 and 6 are contained within 2.

This should leave you with a 29 GiB unallocated space after sda1 (the existing 21.49 GiB unallocated plus the 8.09 GiB from sda2)

Create a new partition in the 29 GiB unallocated space. When creating the new partition, there should be an option to create it as a Primary or Extended (or Logical) partion. Do not choose the Primary option, choose the Extended option (or maybe it will be called Logical, I don't remember exactly what it will say).

The new extended partition will probably be called sda2.

Inside of the new extended partition, create one ext4 partition and make it 27 GiB in size. This partition will probably be called sda5.
In the remaining space, probably about 2.49 GiB, create a new swap partition. It will probably be called sda5.

Continue with the installation of Mint from step 6 of my instructions. When you get to the advanced partitioning screen, assign the mount point "/" to the ext4 partition and assign the mount point "swap" (or "Linux swap") to the swap partition. Then finish the installation.

tomween1
Level 1
Level 1

Post by tomween1 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:40 pm

edwardr wrote:Sorry about the hospital visit, I hope you are feeling better.
Thank you. yes and no, the visit was a prelim to a kidney transplant. :D
edwardr wrote:I think there should be a way to extend sda5 to the left to incorporate the unallocated space, but I don't have a computer handy that I can recreate a similar layout in order to test it. So it may be best to take a more direct approach. Try this:

Delete sda2. This should also delete sda5 and sda6 because 5 and 6 are contained within 2.

This should leave you with a 29 GiB unallocated space after sda1 (the existing 21.49 GiB unallocated plus the 8.09 GiB from sda2)

Create a new partition in the 29 GiB unallocated space. When creating the new partition, there should be an option to create it as a Primary or Extended (or Logical) partion. Do not choose the Primary option, choose the Extended option (or maybe it will be called Logical, I don't remember exactly what it will say).

The new extended partition will probably be called sda2.

Inside of the new extended partition, create one ext4 partition and make it 27 GiB in size. This partition will probably be called sda5.
In the remaining space, probably about 2.49 GiB, create a new swap partition. It will probably be called sda5.

Continue with the installation of Mint from step 6 of my instructions. When you get to the advanced partitioning screen, assign the mount point "/" to the ext4 partition and assign the mount point "swap" (or "Linux swap") to the swap partition. Then finish the installation.
edwardr, the only problem is, I'm not given the option to delete sda2

edwardr
Level 4
Level 4

Post by edwardr » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:29 pm

What if you first try to delete sda5 and sda6 and then try to delete sda2?

Return to “Installation & Boot”