[SOLVED] Trouble changing from Ubuntu 11.10 to Mint 12

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
tomween1

Re: Trouble changing from Ubuntu 11.10 to Mint 12

Post by tomween1 »

edwardr wrote:What if you first try to delete sda5 and sda6 and then try to delete sda2?
No good. When I try to delete sda5 (ext4) a pop-up window say: Unable to delete /dev/sda5. Please unmount any logical partitions having a number higher then 5

sda6, like sda2, doesn't offer a delete option.
edwardr

Post by edwardr »

How are you running Gparted when you are trying to delete the partitions? Are you running Gparted from a live Mint cd or are you booting the computer into the existing Ubuntu system that is currently installed and running Gparted from Ubuntu?

You need to run Gparted from the live cd, not from the system installed on the computer. If you run it from the live cd and you still get the error that the partition is mounted, then you will need to unmount the partition before continuing. I think if you open up the file manager you should be able to right-click on the partition and there should be an option to unmount the partition. The re-run Gparted.
tomween1

Post by tomween1 »

edwardr wrote:You need to run Gparted from the live cd, not from the system installed on the computer.
I am running it from the cd per your instructions.
edwardr wrote:If you run it from the live cd and you still get the error that the partition is mounted, then you will need to unmount the partition before continuing. I think if you open up the file manager you should be able to right-click on the partition and there should be an option to unmount the partition. The re-run Gparted.
So I wouldn't perform this task in Gparted? What would the file manager be named, File Manager?
edwardr

Post by edwardr »

I did some experimenting and you can unmount the partitions from within Gparted. What I think is happening is the live session is using the swap partition, which is located on sda2, so you are locked out from making changes to partitions on sda2. So, from within Gparted, right click on sda6 and you should see an option for "Swapoff", click on Swapoff so that the system will stop using the swap partition and thus enable you to edit it. Then right click on sda5 and click on the option "Unmount". If the partition is already unmounted, then the option will be greyed out and you will be unable to click it since the partition is already unmounted. You should now be able to delete sda5 and sda6, and then hopefully delete sda2.
tomween1

Post by tomween1 »

Well I'm ready for the next step, convert to ext4.... Sorry thought this would be simple. I've never don this in Linux/Gparted. I'm hanging in cd right now. Please, what to do to convert to ext4?

Thank you

Played around and have gotten the following.
unallocated unallocated 1.47 Gib
/dev/sda1 ntfs Windows 7 2031.5 GiB
New partition #1 ext4 29.57 GiB

I go to back out and click on the icon on the desktop and I get the message
Quit Gparted
4 operations are currently pending
Quit Cancel
edwardr

Post by edwardr »

The way Gparted works, as you give it actions to do (i.e. delete a partition, resize etc) it puts those actions into a queue, but it does not actually do the actions until you press the "Apply" button. On my version, the button actually has the word "Apply" on it, but looking at your screenshot, I think on your system the Apply button looks like a return arrow (arrow pointing down then left) that is found below the menu item "Partition".

It looks like you tried to quit Gparted without applying the changes - hence the message "4 operations are currently pending - Quit Cancel".

Give Gparted another try.

Now take a deep breath, let it out slowly, and relax. The worst is over.
tomween1

Post by tomween1 »

It's all good man... takes the mind off real wolrd issues.

YOUR TIME IS GRATEFULLY APPRECIATED

Sorry for my total ignorance

tomween1

Post by tomween1 »

Up date

Gparted now looks like this
sda1 ntfs Windows 201.85GiB
sda2 ext4 29.57Gib

So the issue is on reboot. All I get is
error: no such partition
grub rescue>
edwardr

Post by edwardr »

Are you getting that error when rebooting with the live cd?

Assuming you can boot from the live cd, do that and go back to Gparted. Remember that you do want a swap partition. Shrink sda2 down to about 27.5 GiB and convert the freed-up space to swap. Then close Gparted and double click on the desktop icon to install Mint. During the install, assign mount point "/" to the ext4 partition and "swap" to the swap partition. After Mint is installed, reboot the computer and hopefully you will see a screen asking you choose if you want to boot into Mint or Windows.

If that doesn't work then you will have to recover your Windows Master Boot Record and update your Linux boot loader (Grub), but hopefully you won't need to go there and the Mint install will fix the boot issue.
tomween1

Post by tomween1 »

SUCCESS

Now I am on a hunt to find a Apple like theme, that is animated. I am also in the process of setting Windows as the first boot.

Once again, thank you for your help.
edwardr

Post by edwardr »

Fantastic! Enjoy using your Mint system.

Return to “Installation & Boot”