Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
pharaohlxvi
Level 1
Level 1

<SOLVED> Linux Mint 12 Freezes at Login

Post by pharaohlxvi » Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:15 pm

Hi all,

First let me say thanks for your time and effort. I love Linux Mint, and have brought a few friends from Windows to Linux through Linux Mint.

Now for the problem. I have looked everywhere (Mint Forum, google, ubuntu forum, etc) and the only thing I have found with regards to Mint 12 freezing has to do with Banshee usage, and that´s not the case. What happens is that when I enter my password at login, it freezes (doesn´t matter if I choose, Gnome, MATE, etc). Freezes right there, in the login screen. A few times I was able to login, and most of these times it froze after a few seconds. Only a couple of times I was able to login and use the system (for hours without freezing, till I switch off). As it happens during login, I can´t connect it to any particular software, like Banshee or Firefox.

My system is a lenovo G475 laptop, with 4Gb RAM.

I hope one of you guys can help me with this problem, as I would really like to use Linux Mint 12. If there´s any information I forgot to give, let me know.

Thanks a lot.
Last edited by pharaohlxvi on Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

oobetimer
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Linux Mint 12 Freezes at Login

Post by oobetimer » Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:03 pm

pharaohlxvi
Level 1
Level 1

Post by pharaohlxvi » Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:19 am

Thanks for the reply, oobetimer

I was able to login again, and uninstalled Banshee. When I restarted it froze again, before the login. Sometimes it freezes even before the background image is loaded.

Today I logged in again after a few trials, and disabled MGSE as suggested on another post. I'm at work now, when I get home I'll try restarting again to see how it goes.

EDIT: Got back home and it froze again before login. It seems to work after I have used Windows (I have a dual boot) for a while, and then restart to Linux Mint.
Any other ideas?

pharaohlxvi
Level 1
Level 1

Post by pharaohlxvi » Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:03 am

Hi

Any ideas, guys? I keep getting the same results. It freezes during login, but if I use windows for a while and restart, I´m able to stay hours without a problem using Mint.

I have uninstalled Banshee, disabled MGSE, and as far as I understand, I don´t have mono installed.

I appreciate any help. Thanks.

pharaohlxvi
Level 1
Level 1

Post by pharaohlxvi » Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:52 pm

Hi again

I can confirm now that it works after rebooting from Windows. Even if I just log in to my Windows account and restart.

Here are the tests I made:
Switch on after some time off: Mint freezes;
start with Windows, use it for a while, restart with Mint: works;
start with Windows and restart with Mint right after logging in: works;
start with Windows and restart with Mint right after logging in, then switch off and start with Mint: works.

So the problem seems to be only when I start the computer straight to Mint.

Has anyone ever heard about something like that? Any ideas?

I tried installing a newer kernel also (3.2.0-3) and got the same results.

I appreciate any help.

NModern
Level 1
Level 1

Post by NModern » Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:28 am

Hi. In my situation it freezes when I am waiting for a while on login screen. But if I type my password and login once it started up it is not freezing.

pharaohlxvi
Level 1
Level 1

Post by pharaohlxvi » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:29 am

It seems as it's a particular service that causes the freeze, a service that doesn't start when I first boot into Windows. If I'm quick to login to Mint, it still freezes after a while (few seconds), even with the full desktop loaded.

axisofevil
Level 3
Level 3

Post by axisofevil » Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:03 pm

pharaohlxvi wrote:Hi again

I can confirm now that it works after rebooting from Windows. Even if I just log in to my Windows account and restart.

Here are the tests I made:
Switch on after some time off: Mint freezes;
start with Windows, use it for a while, restart with Mint: works;
start with Windows and restart with Mint right after logging in: works;
start with Windows and restart with Mint right after logging in, then switch off and start with Mint: works.

I tried installing a newer kernel also (3.2.0-3) and got the same results.
Sounds like it could be hardware related...
Perhaps the long boot time of Windows "exercises" your motherboard etc and warms things up a bit.
If you have any defects, this can sometimes make a difference.

Does CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE do anything to the graphical signon screen?

If you boot into Mint (and it freezes) does CTRL+ALT+F1 allow you to signin into a command screen?
If so, it's still running; CTRL+ALT+F7 will take you back to the graphical signin.

BTW Are you sure about that kernel release?
I installed 3.0.0-14-generic #23-Ubuntu SMP Mon Nov 21 20:28:43 only a few days ago...
(Type "uname -a" to get kernel info).

Also if you can reboot just after a freeze, have a look at your logs - especially /var/log/dmesg at the appropriate freeze time.

BTW If you boot from a Mint CD or from USB does it still freeze?

[EDIT] MGSE works fine for me - tricky to set-up "just right", but it's a purely visual thing...

pharaohlxvi
Level 1
Level 1

Post by pharaohlxvi » Sat Dec 24, 2011 9:42 am

axisofevil wrote: Sounds like it could be hardware related...
Perhaps the long boot time of Windows "exercises" your motherboard etc and warms things up a bit.
If you have any defects, this can sometimes make a difference.

Does CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE do anything to the graphical signon screen?

If you boot into Mint (and it freezes) does CTRL+ALT+F1 allow you to signin into a command screen?
If so, it's still running; CTRL+ALT+F7 will take you back to the graphical signin.

BTW Are you sure about that kernel release?
I installed 3.0.0-14-generic #23-Ubuntu SMP Mon Nov 21 20:28:43 only a few days ago...
(Type "uname -a" to get kernel info).

Also if you can reboot just after a freeze, have a look at your logs - especially /var/log/dmesg at the appropriate freeze time.

BTW If you boot from a Mint CD or from USB does it still freeze?

[EDIT] MGSE works fine for me - tricky to set-up "just right", but it's a purely visual thing...
Thanks for the reply.
CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE doesn't do anything. CTRL+ALT+F1 also doesn't. It's completely frozen, mouse, function keys and everything else.

The kernel I tried is this one: http://packages.ubuntu.com/precise/linu ... -3-generic. It doesn't seem to be available now though.

If I boot from a CD, it works just fine.

I tried reinstalling it, did a clean install, wiped everything, including Windows. It still gives me the same problem. Is there a way to check the logs before getting to the login screen?

Thanks a lot for your help.

axisofevil
Level 3
Level 3

Post by axisofevil » Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:36 am

Sounds bad!

You can look at (or change) your hard disk by booting from a live CD/DVD.
1) Boot from DVD
2) Find your / partition - it's quite likely sda1
3) Create a directory /thing [this is actually a virtual directory located in memory only]
4) Enter "mount /dev/sda1 /thing"
5) To look at your logs, look at the directory /thing/var/log/
6) If you make any changes to files or directories in /thing, they will be written to your hard disk.

Hopefully that's all correct - but you can always checkout Google if the syntax of step 4 isn't right...

pharaohlxvi
Level 1
Level 1

Post by pharaohlxvi » Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:46 am

axisofevil wrote:Sounds bad!

You can look at (or change) your hard disk by booting from a live CD/DVD.
1) Boot from DVD
2) Find your / partition - it's quite likely sda1
3) Create a directory /thing [this is actually a virtual directory located in memory only]
4) Enter "mount /dev/sda1 /thing"
5) To look at your logs, look at the directory /thing/var/log/
6) If you make any changes to files or directories in /thing, they will be written to your hard disk.

Hopefully that's all correct - but you can always checkout Google if the syntax of step 4 isn't right...
Hi, thanks again for the reply.
New developments: now I can't boot from the DVD also. It freezes before getting to the desktop.
I also tried Kubuntu 11.10 live and got the same thing. If I click ALT+F1 during Kubuntu loading, I get the following message when it freezes (at approx. 123 seconds):
"SP5100 TCO timer: mmio address 0xb8fe00 already in use"

I will keep doing some tests and I appreciate you have any other ideas to share.

Thanks again.

axisofevil
Level 3
Level 3

Post by axisofevil » Sun Dec 25, 2011 10:40 am

pharaohlxvi
Level 1
Level 1

Post by pharaohlxvi » Sun Dec 25, 2011 12:35 pm

axisofevil wrote:You might be interested to read http://askubuntu.com/questions/38920/bo ... ady-in-use
I had a look, it seems somehow similar.

I also found this link: https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s ... ion/165285

It also seems to be the same problem, except that it happens to me even when AC powered.

I tried disabling WLAN in the BIOS, as I read somewhere that this problem is WLAN related and now it boots to the live CD without problem, except I don't have wlan. Is there a way to enable wlan by software, after booting?

I will install and see what happens next. Really annoying situation!!!

Thanks for your help.

UPDATE: Found this thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1811178
It's related to other model, but the problem seems to be the same. I chose network boot as a first option in BIOS, as suggested, and it works, with wlan.
I will try installing mint now and see where it goes.
P.S.: it still gives me the "mmio address" message though. The two problems seem to be unrelated.

pharaohlxvi
Level 1
Level 1

Post by pharaohlxvi » Mon Dec 26, 2011 6:16 pm

Hi guys.

It seems that the solution suggested in the last link worked. The only inconvenient is that it tries to do a network boot and fails, and then boots from the HD. That means the booting proccess takes a few seconds longer. But that's only a minor problem, if it is one at all. I've been using Mint 12 for a couple of days and it seems good with regards to the freezing problems. The gnome shell seems incredibly unstable, flickering and crashing very often. I will try a full reinstall after i try installing KDE to see how it goes.

I appreciate all your help, and hope this topic can help others with similar problem.

Thanks.

Return to “Installation & Boot”