Installed 12, No taskbar top or bottom, can't resize etc..

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Landis

Installed 12, No taskbar top or bottom, can't resize etc..

Post by Landis »

I've just installed fresh copy of LinuxMint 12.
I have a primary and swap partition.
I get the 'welcome' screen with documentation, community etc in it.
I have a white desktop with Computer and Home icons.
I can open computer and home.
I chose to open Documentation from 'welcome' window.
FireFox starts with documentation.
I have No 'title bar' in FireFox.
I can NOT 'resize' FF using any method. (double click to max, grab and drag lower right corner, grab edge, etc.)
I Have NO 'Taskbar' on the Top or Bottom of desktop.
If I Ctrl+Alt+Del and hit enter to LogOut I have the top and bottom 'taskbars' at the 're-login' screen.
If I Right-Click on Anything while logged in, I lose mouse.
I have attached to this system an Acer P191W monitor that displayed Perfect while running the LiveCD/DVD and I had the 'taskbars' on the top and bottom.
I've tried 'auto configure' on the monitor, but nothing changes.

Help.. I was really looking forward to using Mint from HDD instead of the DVD I've been using for 2 week.

Thanks in advance,
Спасибо,
Landis.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Landis

Re: Installed 12, No taskbar top or bottom, can't resize etc

Post by Landis »

Can't do anything useful... Bummmmer.

- In the only thing that will start, Firefox (load 'Documentation', 'Known problems' etc)
- When I click on a menu (file, edit etc) As Soon as I move Off the menu title (title of menu, file, edit etc) the 'drop down' menu (file: New Tab, New Window etc.. ) Goes Away although I can press 'T' etc and activate the items as if I were doing an Alt+F (menu title) +T (menu item)..
- I can also, after a reboot (don't know if it relevant), grab and move the FF window.
- If I open (double click) 'Computer' , I can Not resize it either, nor can I move it and the Menu's Do NOT activate at all.
- After opening 'Computer' I can not click on Firefox (in background) and get focus on it, move it,,,, Nothing.
- I can move the Cursor about, after opening 'Computer' , but can Not click on anything as if the windows were a Desktop 'background' image and not windows.

Help, this sucks... : ) lol
Landis.
I've been doing this since 1990 and if it can happen, it happens to me.. Microsoft always told me, 'no one else has that problem'... really?
lol
Landis

Post by Landis »

Again, the only thing I can do is C+A+Del and click focus on 'cancel' - 'logout' box (even though it does not appear that focus has been put on dialog box by clicking on it), then Hit Enter (clicking 'Logout' does Not work)..
Then I have top taskbar in login screen..

I login in again, same thing, But if I Ctrl+Alt+Del, I can Click on the 'Logout' button....

At the 'Login' screen, I can activate the clock/calendar, logout/shutdown and volume taskbar menus... fyi.

Login as 'Guest'. Same issues... start 'Computer' or 'Home' and Lose ability to click anything.

Landis.
p.s., I have the 'welcome' sound at login..
Landis

Post by Landis »

I can right click on the desktop, if I do it before I click anything else and I was able to choose 'change background image'..
I, out of curiosity, clicked the 'theme' dropdown and IT selected Adwaita.
I DON'T like the theme and I want it the was it was, but there is NO 'Cancel' button and the other 2 themes are even Worse.
How to go back to default 'theme' or No Theme and Where is Cancel in Mint?

Thanks again,
Landis.
cwwgateway

Post by cwwgateway »

I'm not an expert at problems like this, but try logging out and clicking on the gear icon next to your name in the login manager. Select "gnome classic" from the dropdown menu and login. If this works, then either there is something wrong with the gnome shell (it didn't install correctly?), you need some sort of driver, or your graphics card doesn't support hardware acceleration but the shell doesn't realize (not sure if that's possible), or something else. If that doesn't work, I don't really know. I guess wait for someone more knowledgeable than me or if no one can answer, maybe try reinstalling. Just as a question that might help, what graphics card do you have?
Landis

Post by Landis »

cwwgateway wrote:I'm not an expert at problems like this, but try logging out and clicking on the gear icon next to your name in the login manager. Select "gnome classic" from the dropdown menu and login. If this works, ....
cwwgateway.. gnome classic worked. Thank You!
I now have my desktop image, the 'Welcome' window and a Black 'TaskBar'..
Menus work both in Firefox and the 'taskbar'
'Computer' works, the menus, I can grab and drag etc..

Now, I need to figure out the video driver, eh..

Again, Thanks.
Landis.
p.s., so, until I either find a better drive and how to install it for the intel 865G onboard video or a add-on card I've disabled (turned off) auto login so I can do your 'gear, gnome classic' thing..
Спасибо.
Landis

Post by Landis »

Question...
Why would the 'taskbar' work fine running from the 'LiveCD/DVD'??

Landis.
Landis

Post by Landis »

FYI... I don't mind the 'gnome classic'..
The First thing I do to a new desktop is turn it Black and Grey...
,,, but,, how do I make the 'taskbar' 'auto-hide'?
Right-Clicking on it does nothing (no context menu)..

thanks.
Landis.

Return to “Installation & Boot”